• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I certainly don't agree with whatever that rant was, but I do think our school system needs a great deal of improvement and that college prep is not the standard to use. We should be realistic about kid's educational and vocational futures and make sure every student in our school system gets a great education that prepares them for a variety of life paths.

A four year college is not the norm for many kids. Only 85% of Walton residents over 25 have a high school diploma or higher and only 24% have a bachelor degree or higher.

Taking politicians out of schools seems like one of many common sense changes that need to be made to improve our local education system.

Last edited:

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
everything you said after that was wasteful typing and bull**** and exactly wrong. we have far too many children, the victims of Union influenced and biased 20-25 year educations, who are ill prepared for any worthwhile modern application we are educating kids in worthless concepts simply to pay educators. they stand no chance out there in the real world. sadly most of the people who encourage them and 'teach' them haven't spent a minute in the world into which they will be thrown.

I agree that not everyone NEEDS to go to college to be financially successful. However, I think everyone should be educated to the point that it is their CHOICE to go to college or to choose another path to success. If only 18 percent of Walton County students are "prepared for college", this robbing them of choices, we should hang our heads in collective shame.

After reading Seaducer's post numerous times, I still could not find any sort of solution offered. Therefore, I humbly request that you share even some small steps toward solutions.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I agree that not everyone NEEDS to go to college to be financially successful. However, I think everyone should be educated to the point that it is their CHOICE to go to college or to choose another path to success. If only 18 percent of Walton County students are "prepared for college", this robbing them of choices, we should hang our heads in collective shame.

After reading Seaducer's post numerous times, I still could not find any sort of solution offered. Therefore, I humbly request that you share even some small steps toward solutions.

Agreed. Asking for the bar to be set for academics at the "college ready" level only prepares EVERY student for their future. No matter what the plan for after high school- college, learning a trade, job, anything- reading, math, and critical thinking skills are the key to success for everyone. Skunkape makes a great argument to this point, and the district teachers and schools are more than equipped to handle this job. It all hangs on taking this district to the next level with accountable leadership and standards that are set for job performance.

If teachers have to meet standards and goals, why shouldn't their boss?

Regarding Darrell Barnhill's unfortunate choice to "proudly opposing the referendum"....he should be ashamed, not proud. His public statement says it all, and whether or not this referendum passes, if he is what is meant by "Walton County Values", then our kids our doomed.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I certainly don't agree with whatever that rant was, but I do think our school system needs a great deal of improvement and that college prep is not the standard to use. We should be realistic about kid's educational and vocational futures and make sure every student in our school system gets a great education that prepares them for a variety of life paths.

A four year college is not the norm for many kids. Only 85% of Walton residents over 25 have a high school diploma or higher and only 24% have a bachelor degree or higher.

Taking politicians out of schools seems like one of many common sense changes that need to be made to improve our local education system.

Zebraspots, I agree that college is not the right choice for all students graduating high school. With that said, I believe that at a minimum, a school district should be able to raise the bar high enough to ensure that ANY student that matriculates through their system has the option to be go to college should they choose to do so, and to be READY to go.

While I hate to compare peanuts to oranges, I will point out that our neighbor to the north, Covington County, Alabama has not one but TWO high schools recognized by US News as being among the best in their state and above average when compared to the nation as a whole. We have none. Why do WE have to settle?!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Could someone please tell me what vocational subjects are taught in Walton County high schools? While I cetainly agree the overall academic regimen should be directed toward preparation for college, some students want to learn vocational skills as well. When I attended high school back in the '40s, we had carpentry, auto repair and welding available. What have we here?