• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Please go to the polls to vote as I will. You have obviously determined you don't want to see the change made to a system supported in 99 out of 100 school systems in the United States.

Bob, You are absolutely full of stuffing...more so than a Christmas turkey! We are in 101% agreement that change is needed. BUT....

I DO NOT believe that meaningful change is possible if this County continues to support/re-elect current and/or "has been", "wannabe politicians"!!

I DO BELIEVE that if and when the make-up of the board (be it school board or BCC) changes and we are ever able to elect governing boards who believe in "the will of the people" then we might see real and meaningful change. In other words, CHANGE THE MAKE-UP of the board FIRST!!

I would not vote for Barnhill simply because I wasn't impressed with his last tenure as an elected school board member but I am impressed with his honesty this go round. It took some pretty big kahunas to come out and oppose this referendum publicly while others (Danny Glidewell included) hide behind what they think you wanna hear telling you all the politically correct stuff while secretly opposing that which you are fighting so hard for which could possibly create real change.

Let me reiterate again that "a new broom sweeps clean"!! You can not leave the same foxes guarding the hen houses and EXPECT different results!!

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I don't know Walton County politics, but I used to work in the legislative arena as a staff person and lobbyist for more than 15 years, so I do know something about politics in general.

This is what I know...

1. I have never met a politician who was not looking to increase his power or sphere of influence.
2. In the case of an appointed superintendent, the politicians on the school board would definitely become more powerful, if only for the power to appoint the superintendent.

What I don't know is...

Why are candidates for the Walton County Board of Education not interested in increasing their power like every other politician? What is in it for them to remain essentially powerless?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Early voting begins on Saturday August 16 and continues until August 23rd.

Election Day is August 26th

Absentee ballots have been mailed and can be returned at any time.

Hope everyone will take the time to express their choices on those items available on the ballot.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Why are candidates for the Walton County Board of Education not interested in increasing their power like every other politician? What is in it for them to remain essentially powerless?

Stepping stone, the school board positions don't pay anything. Get your foot in the door and eventually run for superintendent getting about a $70,000/yr raise.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Powerless you say? Does that mean you believe the school system got into the current conundrum exclusively by the current Supers hand?

I think you failed to notice how much power Mark Davis has acquired for himself after all these years in County politics and it now appears, his family members are being fast tracked to do the same.

I like and respect Mark Davis but he is eating out of the same trough the the rest of the politicians in this County do.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Misty,

I think I will regret responding to anything you post. I have noticed your tendency to personally attack anyone who disagrees with you. Whether you choose to hang on the word powerless is your choice. You did not answer the salient question however. It was, why would a politician be opposed to amassing more power? You made my case with Mr Davis. He is in a position to have more power and influence because he has two positions ( county attorney and board member) than if he was only a school board member.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
WaltonParent, with all due respect I've read over Misty's response several times and cannot see the personal attack, rather questions regarding your statement.

Playing the victim card when you're not a victim is lower than personal attacks in my book.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Local, you need to read mine again. I did not say she attacked me personally. I said I have read previous posts in which did did so to others.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Local, you need to read mine again. I did not say she attacked me personally. I said I have read previous posts in which did did so to others.

Wow! Some people really have thin skin. No one says a word on this board when a chosen few go on the attack...like Andy A and Bob Hudson with his pictorial images but when someone makes a comment you don't agree with you want to call it a personal attack?

You're not a victim darling.

Last edited: