• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I received this email today. Think you will find it interesting.

I am a disgruntled tax payer that found out my children do not have a fulltime art teacher at Walton Middle School because of no funding for a art unit, they chose not to replace the art teacher that retired. Then I found out from a teacher that WMS has the following teachers not teaching a full load of classes, they are given extra planning periods and duites not student contact. The teachers are Mr. Proffit with 3 extra periods off and Mrs. Collins wiith,2 extra periods off these two would fund full teacher unit for the art department. Just when my blood pressure had returned to normal I found that Mr. Bennett 1 extra period off, Mr. Wassman has 1 extra period off as does Mrs. Moseley have 1 extra period off. This is UNACCEPTABLE with the current budget situation. This is 8 periods that should be student contact with an average of 25 students that is 200 learning opportunities missed.

Not all is Rosy in DFS

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I received this email today. Think you will find it interesting.

I am a disgruntled tax payer that found out my children do not have a fulltime art teacher at Walton Middle School because of no funding for a art unit, they chose not to replace the art teacher that retired. Then I found out from a teacher that WMS has the following teachers not teaching a full load of classes, they are given extra planning periods and duites not student contact. The teachers are Mr. Proffit with 3 extra periods off and Mrs. Collins wiith,2 extra periods off these two would fund full teacher unit for the art department. Just when my blood pressure had returned to normal I found that Mr. Bennett 1 extra period off, Mr. Wassman has 1 extra period off as does Mrs. Moseley have 1 extra period off. This is UNACCEPTABLE with the current budget situation. This is 8 periods that should be student contact with an average of 25 students that is 200 learning opportunities missed.

Not all is Rosy in DFS

It would have been much rosier if the person sending you this email had a clue Mr. Hudson. Those teachers don't make their own schedules. They had nothing to do with this and didn't know until the first day of classes what their schedules would be. That was a district decision. As to the art classes, the reason there is currently no art class is because there is no room not to mention there is no teacher as she did in fact retire. WMS is undergoing renovations and during those renovations WMS has been moved to the old WHS. There are plans to bring the art classes back once there are adequate classrooms.

Mrs. Mosley does currently have one period off. During that time she is the parent liaison keeping parents informed as to their childrens progress, grades, disciplinary issues, suspensions, referrals etc, for the 6th, 7th and 8th grade students. Last year Mrs. Mosley did this on her own time for 8th grade students (only) staying after school on her own time in addition to teaching math, PE, or research as well as Video Productions classes.

It would also have been kind of you to discuss with Mrs. Mosley (and the other teachers mentioned) your reasons for putting this here without consulting them first.

You're right about one thing though...things are not rosy in this school district and we have the current Super to thank for that. Once we ELECT a new Superintendent hopefully things will improve for the better

Last edited:

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
It would have been much rosier if the person sending you this email had a clue Mr. Hudson. Those teachers don't make their own schedules. They had nothing to do with this and didn't know until the first day of classes what their schedules would be. That was a district decision. As to the art classes, the reason there is currently no art class is because there is no room not to mention there is no teacher as she did in fact retire. WMS is undergoing renovations and during those renovations WMS has been moved to the old WHS. There are plans to bring the art classes back once there are adequate classrooms.

Mrs. Mosley does currently have one period off. During that time she is the parent liaison keeping parents informed as to their childrens progress, grades, disciplinary issues, suspensions, referrals etc, for the 6th, 7th and 8th grade students. Last year Mrs. Mosley did this on her own time for 8th grade students (only) staying after school on her own time in addition to teaching math and her Video Productions classes.

It would also have been kind of you to discuss with Mrs. Mosley (and the other teachers mentioned) your reasons for putting this here without consulting them first.

You're right about one thing though...things are not rosy in this school district and we have the current Super to thank for that. Once we ELECT a new Superintendent hopefully things will improve for the better

I dont think the teachers are underfire as much as the Super and Principal for this happening. Teacher retire all the time and get replaced that argument does not hold up nor moving to a new building should hold up. I think this shows a disregard for the arts in the North End of the county as well as a disregard for the children and parents. This seems like Chicago politics if you get my drift.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Contact Jason Campbell if you need to know what teachers are doing in those off periods.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I dont think the teachers are underfire as much as the Super and Principal for this happening. Teacher retire all the time and get replaced that argument does not hold up nor moving to a new building should hold up. I think this shows a disregard for the arts in the North End of the county as well as a disregard for the children and parents. This seems like Chicago politics if you get my drift.

Jason Campbell actually advocated for the arts.

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
Jason Campbell actually advocated for the arts.

I am assuming Jason Campbell is the Principal from your two previous post. I would think an advocate for the arts would have hire an art teachers as the Parent clearly stated. I'm not sure what is going on up there but they are making a case to appoint the Superintendent.:lol:

Last edited:

BJackson

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2010
Blue Mountain Beach, Florida
They do have one period of art at Walton Middle School. Terri Shelley, the art teacher at Freeport High School, teaches 1st period there and then drives to FHS and teaches art and photography there the rest of the day.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Seems with all the over crowding and teacher shortages we could be utilizing those teachers to teach. Does that analysis mean I can run for superintendent in 2016?