• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I wonder if the unspoken issue behind the NO side has been in front of our faces the entire time. Could it be that those funding the effort and playing the puppet master behind the NO effort know that an superintendent could never advocate for more money for our schools regardless what it would be used for? Could it be that they like low graduation rates because that is a source for cheap labor? People, this is not about your right to vote. It is about money and power---business interests keeping it for themselves and fooling you to think they care about your kids. Vote YES

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If I'm not mistaken, a high school drop out can run for superintendent in Florida.
Probably so. You don't have to have any credentials to be a politician running for superintendent. But if you are applying to be an appointed superintendent, you have to bring your credentials and your resume and prove to the board you are capable of performing the duties of the job. Seems a no-brainer to vote YES.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Probably so. You don't have to have any credentials to be a politician running for superintendent. But if you are applying to be an appointed superintendent, you have to bring your credentials and your resume and prove to the board you are capable of performing the duties of the job. Seems a no-brainer to vote YES.

The chances of someone with only a high school diploma running for superintendent and winning are remote, but the scenario perfectly illustrates the fact that real qualifications are not used when electing the top administrator of our school system. I have lived here 8 years and have "suffered" through a few local elections, including 2 superintendent races. So I am just going to say it- in both of those elections, I really doubt any of the candidates would have been hired if they had been in a situation where they had to apply for the job based on their education and qualifications for the job (Mrs. Anderson maybe based on her experience and education). I am sure the those running were nice people and all, but they wouldn't qualify for the job anywhere but in a county where the position is elected and politics dominate the discussion of the candidates, not qualifications.

I like to dream BIG for our school system, and hope that there are people that live in Walton County that are qualified for the job and will apply, in addition to looking outside our borders- all that matters is finding the best person for the job, not where they live or if they are entrenched in the pathetic little Walton County political games. A real professional won't have time for that kind of silliness.

Last edited:

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
I wonder if the unspoken issue behind the NO side has been in front of our faces the entire time. Could it be that those funding the effort and playing the puppet master behind the NO effort know that an superintendent could never advocate for more money for our schools regardless what it would be used for? Could it be that they like low graduation rates because that is a source for cheap labor? People, this is not about your right to vote. It is about money and power---business interests keeping it for themselves and fooling you to think they care about your kids. Vote YES

I think the Board of Education should prove they are capable of dealing with matters such as this. The board needs to be strong if the Super is not. This board scares me with whether they have the ability to appoint a great educational leader for us. This really need to be looked into. 8 periods of teacher pay is worth what 70000-80000 dollars and you have money issues to begin with. The South needs to vote in record numbers for all issues or we are in real trouble.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I think the Board of Education should prove they are capable of dealing with matters such as this. The board needs to be strong if the Super is not. This board scares me with whether they have the ability to appoint a great educational leader for us. This really need to be looked into. 8 periods of teacher pay is worth what 70000-80000 dollars and you have money issues to begin with. The South needs to vote in record numbers for all issues or we are in real trouble.

Does anyone know what it takes to legally form a new county? Or a new school district?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Many executive searches use a headhunter firm to narrow down the qualified candidates.

I think it's so funny that everyone assumes that just the 5 board members would be the only people involved in this process from start to finish. No district does it that way, we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
WaltonParent I am afraid that the best option we have is voting for new folks. What we have is horrible. The choices are not great we need great people that we can count on running for office that have the ability to pick a superintendent. The board we currently have is really scary. They should be all over this issue but will not lift a finger because of homegrown connections. The candidates for all of the races including State House are not great choices. Hold your nose and vote the least of the evils in most of the races.

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
I am pretty sure the board will make the choice, they might use a search firm to gather resumes but ultimately who they hire is up to them.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yes- and they will be choosing from candidates who actually meet real qualifications. I'm not sure why this is hard for so many to understand why this is preferable to a political process without qualifications.