• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
Does anyone have the skinny on this? I had a call this evening and the caller stated there is one in the south and two in Defuniak Springs that are not certified. Does anyone have additional information on this?

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
Heard from a friend whose son has not had a counselor that is certified for now the 4th year. not sure of the school combo yet will hopefully have a better grasp by weekend. However I have to believe that in these times a guidance counselor can be hired that has all the needed certification especially in a county that pays as well as Walton.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Heard from a friend whose son has not had a counselor that is certified for now the 4th year. not sure of the school combo yet will hopefully have a better grasp by weekend. However I have to believe that in these times a guidance counselor can be hired that has all the needed certification especially in a county that pays as well as Walton.

Does Walton County have a better pay scale than Okaloosa or Bay? If true, someone has been lying to me.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Based on instructional scales I just googled for the 3
Walton 35400-62500 over 29 years
Bay 34380-58180 over 31 years
Okaloosa 33459-68279 over 30 years

Note: There are other factors to consider besides wages and I did not look at them. Examples are incentives, reimbursements for classroom materials, outside of school functions required to attend and cost of insurance, to name a few that come to my mind.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks Bob

Did you compare the steps between Minimum and Maximum over the years of service ?

I'm told Walton is pre loaded in the early years and then the scales of Okaloosa begin to outstrip Walton County. In some respects there is a "donut hole " in Walton's scale similar to Medicare.

I'm also told that Walton County is heavily loaded to "new teachers" with the number of teachers in the higher steps is dismal.

I am also interested in your thoughts on the "claim" that a change in the process is the first step in the teachers union taking over the school system.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
No Bob I just took a quick glance at the numbers and put them out there based on what I found online. As for the other stuff I do not know but it is reported we don't keep teachers very long.
If, and I mean a big if, the teachers wanted to take control of the school system they would really need to get on the same bus. Unfortunately, because of our personal politics we are not as united as we could be. Does that mean we are irrelevant, I don' think so, but at the same time we have to pick our battles and build relationships even with those we may not have a lot in common with. Working across the the spectrum of politics doesn't mean we agree on everything as you and I can attest. We may not agree on much but when we do, Stay Thirsty My Friend...

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
This is not surprising. In the last four years, quite a few teachers were hired to teach out of their field. It's funny that some former teachers were not hired to fill positions in their field but that seems to be the way our current superintendent wants to handle things.

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
I have an Update on two of the positions new hire at Emerald Coast and Walton High School are both not certified which might be worse than the Finance Dept since they deal with students futures as well as emotional well being for instance a young person that is suicidal or in an abusive relationship. This is not healthy for our children. I find it odd that you have a district that pays very well and offers a virtual paradise in quality of living cant attract certified personnel. Will hopefully have the 3rd school by Monday at the latest. Parents need to wake up.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I have an Update on two of the positions new hire at Emerald Coast and Walton High School are both not certified which might be worse than the Finance Dept since they deal with students futures as well as emotional well being for instance a young person that is suicidal or in an abusive relationship. This is not healthy for our children. I find it odd that you have a district that pays very well and offers a virtual paradise in quality of living cant attract certified personnel. Will hopefully have the 3rd school by Monday at the latest. Parents need to wake up.

Bravo, This is an issue I am concerned about, but not knowledgable. Is it legal to hire uncertified teachers? What are the rules ? How can we get it changed? If it is not legal, whose responsibility is it to hold people accountable?