• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bravo 1

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2014
Bravo, This is an issue I am concerned about, but not knowledgable. Is it legal to hire uncertified teachers? What are the rules ? How can we get it changed? If it is not legal, whose responsibility is it to hold people accountable?
The superintendent and school board as well as the principal who do the hiring should be held responsible. There is a built in mechanism that allows the board to challenge the superintendent to the governor if I understand correctly, the other thing they can do is have the courage for 3 of them to start voting against these ghastly personnel recommendations, after all THESE BOARD MEMBER VOTED FOR these two counselors. If the info I have on the 3rd one is correct you will have possible issues of nepotism as well as not being certified. This should be addressed by the board immediately.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Does certification cover Walton County Values? Let's keep our eye on the prize.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Being "certified" for any position in Walton Schools means buying into and being part of the good old boy/girl machine. It's also helpful to have relatives in positions of authority.

slt

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2006
This is exactly why I don't feel like the superintendent referendum is the answer. Not, that I know what that answer is. We have to have a school board that does not allow positions to be filled by unqualified candidates. Our "elected" board will still put in the candidate that they want rather qualified or not.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
This is exactly why I don't feel like the superintendent referendum is the answer. Not, that I know what that answer is. We have to have a school board that does not allow positions to be filled by unqualified candidates. Our "elected" board will still put in the candidate that they want rather qualified or not.
The School Board approves the recommendations made by the Supt. Three members can vote to decline a recommendation only for "Good Cause". Look that requirements criteria up in case law.

They depend on the HR dept and Supt to recommend "Qualified" candidates that have met the requirements set by the Board in position descriptions which were recommended by the Supt. IF they aren't given accurate data they are limited on their knowledge to determine "Good Cause". Only after three attempts to appoint someone and three refusals for "good cause" can the Board act without a recommendation from the Supt and directly hire someone.

The system is totally reliant on "recommendations" from the Supt. If both groups (Supt and School Board) are elected they can both point their fingers at the other. Bad hire - response from Supt is they were approved by the School Board - response by the School Board - they were recommended by the Supt.

Who do you hold accountable ?

When can you affect change ?

With the Supt is every four years.

With The School board it's every 4 years.

Total time needed to kick them all out of office - 8 years.

8 years in the education of a child is a disaster.

Even if you change them ALL - the broken system just begins again.

We need to change the dynamics to know who to hold accountable !!!!

VOTE YES TO BEGIN THE PROCESS.

Last edited: