• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I despise the "good ole boys" in this County more so than most and speak out about them probably more than I should. I assuredly didn't vote no because I was afraid of them, I voted NO mostly because I couldn't glean useful information out of those supporting it and to this day don't understand how a hired Super will save the county money.

I had no ulterior motives.

It wouldn't necessarily have saved the county money. It would probably have been a break even proposition. If we let the market dictate the price for the most qualified person, then we may have ended up paying $15,000 to $20,000 more for a great professional. On the other hand, the county has to hire a separate attorney for the superintendent every time there is legal action because the superintendent can't use the school board attorney since she is not a school board employee. Since there are at least 22 ESE lawsuits pending now, I think we'd have saved more in attorney's fees than the cost of an experienced, successful superintendents salary. Plus, 9 months out of every 48 the superintendent has to run for reelection. That's a full time job. The large administrative staff that picks up the slack is way more costly than is typical in a non-elected school system.

By the way, public records request have been ignored regarding the cost to the district for the superintendent's separate attorneys' fees.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
no, neither of them are on their own, so you either have one of the best civil rights cases I've heard of or you're a delusional bull**** artist with victimhood tendencies. I'm pretty sure which I believe.

You kinda seem perfect for this place. Good Luck

Frankly, don't much care what you believe and there was a civil suit filed in one of the incidents mentioned.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
By the way, public records request have been ignored regarding the cost to the district for the superintendent's separate attorneys' fees.

Why am I not surprised?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The status quo which benefits a very select few is preserved.

When we continue to re-cycle the "has beens", thugs and politicians with questionable ethics and criminal associates and/or business partners we get just exactly what we deserve.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
One thing that has not been mentioned here that had a large impact in the North was the recent experience of the BCC ( 5 administrators in 4 years) especially the fact that after all the committees and dog and pony shows they still picked the individual that had been rumored for years. Another factor was the experience of our neighbor to the North, Covington County. They are currently paying 3 superintendents, the current one and the last 2 they fired. So the timing for the referendum was not the best, people did not want either of these examples occurring in the school system. Another factor that I heard often was the disparity in salaries between elected and appointed. As far as the Liberty forum, there was an open invitation in the Herald for all candidates and representatives of issues to attend, speak and answer questions. Their main focus was their own referendum and frankly everything else was just to draw a crowd. But they would have given equal access to anyone because it was a public forum in a public place. Alan Osborne did speak for the YES side at Red Bay so there was representation.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Local ... If you are referring to me as being part of some group you are very wrong. I only know a few people here , mostly retired neighbors who have recently moved here . We do not discuss politics.

My apologies, that comment wasn't directed at you.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
One thing that has not been mentioned here that had a large impact in the North was the recent experience of the BCC ( 5 administrators in 4 years) especially the fact that after all the committees and dog and pony shows they still picked the individual that had been rumored for years. Another factor was the experience of our neighbor to the North, Covington County. They are currently paying 3 superintendents, the current one and the last 2 they fired. So the timing for the referendum was not the best, people did not want either of these examples occurring in the school system. Another factor that I heard often was the disparity in salaries between elected and appointed. As far as the Liberty forum, there was an open invitation in the Herald for all candidates and representatives of issues to attend, speak and answer questions. Their main focus was their own referendum and frankly everything else was just to draw a crowd. But they would have given equal access to anyone because it was a public forum in a public place. Alan Osborne did speak for the YES side at Red Bay so there was representation.

Luckily we live in Florida where this issue has been addressed through legislation. To use a scare tactic from another state, even if it's a short drive, is pretty low.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I know it has been addressed in Florida and I believe that was stated at the public forums. The underlying problem was the unstable leadership and uncertainty in several Alabama counties that are near us. Many people in North Walton have friends and family in South Alabama and they talked to each other about how the system worked there.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I know it has been addressed in Florida and I believe that was stated at the public forums. The underlying problem was the unstable leadership and uncertainty in several Alabama counties that are near us. Many people in North Walton have friends and family in South Alabama and they talked to each other about how the system worked there.

Again, I'm not sure why we are comparing ourselves to counties in Alabama?

Let me know when those counties decide to start electing their superintendents.