• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Facebook's organic reach for a business page is about 5-6% when a business posts something. True, Facebook now makes businesses pay to get any kind of reach.

Truman, the reason I recommended Facebook is not so much for posting info. I recommended it for the ability to "invite" one's friends or "share" the Facebook page on one's own timeline or share it with someone in a message.
I do love SoWal.com for what it is, an online local community, but it does not have the horsepower under the hood like Facebook for sharing a particular page.

Whatever your opinion of Facebook, I did send a nice email to Sine Murray. And I hope everyone else who does not want this "access" will take five minutes and send her an email.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Facebook's organic reach for a business page is about 5-6% when a business posts something. True, Facebook now makes businesses pay to get any kind of reach.

Truman, the reason I recommended Facebook is not so much for posting info. I recommended it for the ability to "invite" one's friends or "share" the Facebook page on one's own timeline or share it with someone in a message.
I do love SoWal.com for what it is, an online local community, but it does not have the horsepower under the hood like Facebook for sharing a particular page.

Whatever your opinion of Facebook, I did send a nice email to Sine Murray. And I hope everyone else who does not want this "access" will take five minutes and send her an email.

I like facebook groups and pages and they are great for sharing info about the area, issues, etc, to whoever happens to see your post or share it. An excellent avenue for communication among friends and community members. But it too has limitations - only members will see it and some may share, some invite friends to join, etc.. The Walton County group has grown steadily to over 600 members, and they are a well informed bunch, sharing great info. Many are here as well, reading and/or participating. I appreciate them very much.

Keep in mind that this topic (thread) has more than 3000 views and more than 80 replies. And this is just one discussion. Not comparing... the platforms are completely different. I like that there are more ways than one to get info and discuss. This forum is wide open to the public and it's been growing readership for 10 years. FB groups are more private (even if public) and that's with good reason.

FB groups are gaining in popularity, and they are becoming more sophisticated as to how to set them up and use them. I belong to a private one for friends from all over (invited only) to share fun things or to rant or whatever - it's the only thing I really like about FB! That group is just for funn!

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Either not enough Walton County citizens who are opposed to this have not spoken up, or the commissioners are just ignoring the people. Is there not ONE commissioner opposed to this?

“The Walton County Board of County Commissioners (WCBCC) would like to work with you and your staff to assess a couple of alternatives for increasing the public’s access to our local beaches.”
Do not be fooled by the folksy and innocuous sounding langu
age of the letter the BCC will be voting on at the special meeting on the 29th. Close the door on this expensive and destructive plan now, at the state level. Email the Governor and if you have not already, also email the DEP. sine.murray@dep.state.fl.us. They need to hear from us. It is not enough to oppose this locally, take it to the real decision makers.

http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/email-the-governor/ Tell him No New Access In Topsail State Preserve.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Yes, after lots of research, we need to focus on Tally.

I sent Sine an email today! (Female)

Flood them with opposition!

(Bcc too...)

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
The proposal to put a 1650 foot boardwalk for beach access in the middle of the eastern portion of Topsail Preserve State Park is an outrageous cynical attempt by some greedy property investors to increase their property values at the expense of the environment.

As stated above by Celeste :"Topsail Preserve is one of Florida’s last pristine beaches untouched by development and home to 2 of the 15 rare coastal dune lakes in Walton County. Celeste provides history of Topsail Preserve and explains what she understands the proposal to be. The main message is we must stand up for our State Parks and conservation lands.

If we don’t, the jewels we all love the most will be gone. "

Note that there is a special meeting on Monday 29 September at 5pm at South Walton county annex. It will be crowded so if you want a seat or even get in the room come by 4:15 and no later than 4:30.

The group promoting this degradation of this nature preserve have lots to gain and will be there in mass.

whatduh

Beach Lover
Oct 2, 2007
no new accsess in Topsail

An open leter from the current residents of Beachview Heights to the Commissioners and public.

We would just like to re-cap the history of this whole thing to make sure that you, the Commissioners, have a clear understanding of what you are voting on … and possibly ask some questions along the way. Ms Meadows, Mr. Bagby please correct if we are wrong on any of this as none of us in Beachview have been involved in the development of this in any way, and as such have no first hand knowledge as to exactly what has transpierced between Meadows, Bagby, Cypress Dunes and the parks dep over the past year. Although Beachview Heights is going to be the host community for this new access, the fact is we have not been involved in any of the meetings with the parks people …Unlike the residents of Cypress Dunes (CD) and others.

First lets all understand that BV and CD are not beachfront properties… they are located ½ mile north of the beach as the crow flies and have never had any kind of beach access. Those were the terms that everyone who bought lots in Beachview and CD understood and agreed to when they bought their lots.
Also lets understand that unlike the other beach access in Walton county, the county does not own the land that this walkway will be built on .. hence this idea to use state preserve land to access the beach instead of actual county owned land. The county has never had a beach access in BV. The other beach accesses in Walton county are built on land that the county owns and has owned for a long time.

Now to the history… as we understand

About a year ago Cypress Dunes took a survey of their homeowners and their guest and found that the most requested thing CD vacation renters asked for was a beach access for CD. … so in an effort to satisfy their renters and homeowners CD asked the parks dep if they could get permission to follow a foot path originating at their pool area and walk across the ½ mile of Topsail Hill Preserve dunes system south of CD to access the beach.

The State says they would talk about it with them but it would have to be an elevated board walk and CD would have to take down their gate and open their neighborhood to the public as the parks dep could not grant an access to a gated community that the public could not use. .. …so CD thinks about it and decides to tell the parks dep they can not, or will not take down the gate and open their neighborhood to the public.

This brings us, the residents of BV, to our first question.

If CD homeowners feel it is this important to have a beach access, why did they decide not to oblige the parks dep and open their neighborhood to the public in order to obtain the access they wanted? We understand it’s a gated subdivision but why couldn’t the homeowners change that if they all thought it was in their best interest and good for their property values as they have stated.

We can only assume that the residents of CD didn’t want the commotion, traffic and parking issues that plague other public beach access in the area.

But for whatever reason CD passed on removing the gate and petitioned the state for another option,

Again, as we understand, the parks people said the next option would be to put the beach access next door in Beachview Heights. …At this point someone (medows, bagby, CD people?) must have said “that’s a great idea!!” … so a go ahead was given, and the state executed a farley extensive study on cost ,endangered species habitat invasion, construction details. .ect… all taxpayers money spent on evaluating the BV location with absolutely no input from any BV residents…
this leads us to our next question…

why, at that time 4-2-14 weren’t the residents of Beachview Heights brought into the discussion? This is at the crux of our irritation…
Indeed the total input from BV residents on this whole thing has been a grand total of 3 min each at the one and only “workshop” held by the County… By the way the count was 17 people for and 47 against.

One can only surmise that residents of BV were intentionally left out of the discussion because bagby and meadows knew there would be opposition from the BV residents.

So we have a county commissioner and the head of the TDC pushing through an agenda to satisfy the wants of a small group of people, namely the CD homeowners who started this whole thing to begin with.

To walk from Flamingo Village, the largest of the neighborhoods that this thing is supposed to serve, to the beach via this access will be over a mile. It will take at least an hour or more for a tourist carrying a cooler (remember there is no water to drink or bathrooms) and dragging he wife and two kids along with their umbrella and beach chairs to get to the beach via this access.… the fact is that no one is going to make this kind of walk.

That same family could instead just load everything in their car and drive ¼ mile from Flamingo, or CD or BV to the already established entrance at Topsail. They could park in the 120+ car parking lot. From there they could let the kids play on the swings and teeter-totter at the already built playground, they could use bathrooms and get a drink of water… then they could get on the tram and ride to the beach access already built. When they get to the beach walkover they could use the bathrooms, get a drink of water at the fountain, have lunch at a picnic table… and go to the beach.

Cypress Dunes, you had a pipe dream… its over… BV doesn’t want it … naturalist from here to Oklahoma City don’t want it …a clear majority of local residents at the one and only workshop don’t want it… Commissioners, move to drop this whole idea today.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
thanks for the input from someone who actually does have a "horse in this race"!