• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
National Merit scholarships are based on PSAT scores, which is why they are so important. I'm concerned that they are not getting the attention they need, based on the numbers of scholarships awarded in our county.

Interesting that you commented how difficult it is to have adult conversation on here, but when I tried to answer your original question, you responded not with a "thanks for the info!" , but a terse response that negated what I said! You were wondering why more students from this area aren't National Merit Scholars Finalists. I explained to you that you have to take the SAT to be a finalist and most kids here take the ACT because it is more convenient (given at the school) and most colleges accept either. So unless a student has applied to a school that specifically requires the SAT or the student is trying to become a National Merit Finalist, they don't take the SAT. If you want to read it for yourself, read the blue box on page 7 of the PSAT student guide that went home with walton county high schoolers last week. They will take the PSAT next week, but to be a finalist, they must take the SAT. You're welcome.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
It calls to attention all the BS the Sup likes to spread about. Great test scores, great this and great that. Its all great!

Yet they will KNOWINGLY allow a teacher on Florida State Felonly Probation to: teach your kids, collect a pay check, get insurance and benefits...
I could go on and on about others but this was a proven fact.

We have none (merit scholars), for a reason; they are not the focus, the focus is, will and has been on the family members, those that are employees by the $$$ district and keeping their big $$$ jobs, retirement and other assorted benefits very close to the chest.

House cleaning is far past due. Got to keep it "all in the family".

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Perhaps a good question would be how many Walton County students won Bright Futures scholarships since more of our students take ACT.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Interesting that you commented how difficult it is to have adult conversation on here, but when I tried to answer your original question, you responded not with a "thanks for the info!" , but a terse response that negated what I said! You were wondering why more students from this area aren't National Merit Scholars Finalists. I explained to you that you have to take the SAT to be a finalist and most kids here take the ACT because it is more convenient (given at the school) and most colleges accept either. So unless a student has applied to a school that specifically requires the SAT or the student is trying to become a National Merit Finalist, they don't take the SAT. If you want to read it for yourself, read the blue box on page 7 of the PSAT student guide that went home with walton county high schoolers last week. They will take the PSAT next week, but to be a finalist, they must take the SAT. You're welcome.

I'm sorry that you thought it was a terse response. Don't fight those that are on the same team. The PSAT scores are used to determine the eligibility and qualification for Merit Scholar finalists. This test must be taken before the others. It all starts with this test. I am not trying to start an argument, just making sure the facts are out there. Unfortunately, it look like many of the teachers do not understand the importance of this test (based on correspondence with them- which means the district is not placing much emphasis on the one test taken at school that WILL matter for the students).
http://www.nationalmerit.org/entering.php

Each year's PSAT/NMSQT is the qualifying test designated for entry to a particular year's competition. For example, the 2014 PSAT/NMSQT is the qualifying test for entry to the competition for scholarships to be awarded in 2016. Registration for the test is by high school rather than individual student. Interested students should see their counselor at the beginning of the school year to make arrangements to take the PSAT/NMSQT at the school in October.

Last edited:

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
OK, let's look at the requirements. It is not just the ACT. It is ACT/SAT, weighted GPA, and service hours requirement.

http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/ssfad/PDF/BFHandbookChapter1.pdf

OK. We know what the requirements are to earn a Bright Futures scholarship. A high enough ACT OR SAT score and the weighted GPA requirements. I'd be interested to know how many Walton county seniors got one last year and in the last five years. I believe it's also important to know that Bright Futures is attainable for a lot of students. With encouragement from their parents and guidance councilors and hard work a senior can graduate, and go to college with tuition paid by scholarship funding. One good thing that the Florida lottery brought to us.

Last edited:

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
If semi-finalists for National Merit Scholarships represent the top one percent of seniors, how is this relevant to the quality of Walton County schools? Does someone here have a kid who is in that one percent?

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
If semi-finalists for National Merit Scholarships represent the top one percent of seniors, how is this relevant to the quality of Walton County schools? Does someone here have a kid who is in that one percent?
I hope I misunderstood your post. Each time i read it, I interpreted it to say that our Walton county kids aren't capable of being the best. I would argue that we get the best when we give the best. Are we giving our kids the best education possible? Are we demanding our educational system is amongst the top 1 percent?

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I'm not suggesting that our kids aren't capable of excelling, but in a small school system it's unlikely that a lot of students would be in that top one percent in the entire United States. How many students in Walton Schools even take the SAT? I suspect that seniors who are smart enough to reach the lofty goal of a National Merit Scholarship are smarter than any of their teachers.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I'm not suggesting that our kids aren't capable of excelling, but in a small school system it's unlikely that a lot of students would be in that top one percent in the entire United States. How many students in Walton Schools even take the SAT? I suspect that seniors who are smart enough to reach the lofty goal of a National Merit Scholarship are smarter than any of their teachers.
Statistically we could hope that our best one percent measures up to the top one percent around the country. In regard to your assertion that a National Merit Scholar is smarter than his/her teachers in Walton County, I would rephrase to say they would definitely have significantly more potential for intellectual
development