• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Just search the property appraiser site.

Tourists use public access.

Stay off private property!

What is so challenging about this?

"Stay off private property" Exactly! You may not like someone owning part of the beach, but they do. Get over it.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Walton County has a signage ordinance. Some think it only applies to the 98 and 30A cooridors. I submit it applies to the beach as well. Getting someone to enforce it is the problem. The deeds for private property for beaches is some real estates provider's dream that has been allowed to get completely out of control....By the way, before I go any further, I have a privately deeded beach...and anybody is welcome to sit on it as long as they act responsibly. If they don't that is the only reason to call the sheriff.

John G, I don't know how long you have lived here or how many beach restoration meetings you have attended but your take on beach renouishment is wrong, wrong, wrong. When Dennis came through this area in 2005, we all were made aware of how much we needed to assist our beach. Brad Pickle is right and you, who are afraid you will lose some "private property" on which you can't build, grow crops or do anything else productive do not understand the problem. It is too bad that a few narrow minded selfish, "I've got mine, you get yours" individuals refuse to accept the principles this nation was built on. I, and millions of others, put our lives on the line in order to have the freedoms once so prevalent in this nation. That includes the right to sit on any beach in the United States of America peacefully and enjoy the pristine beauty of the sea. I implore the Supreme Court of Florida to do as California has done and declare all Florida beaches, including mine, public.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Andy, I'm going agree with you on this one, but until the state declares my neighbors sexy wife is public property, I'm going to stay off of her just like I stay off private beach property.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Just search the property appraiser site. Tourists use public access. Stay off private property! What is so challenging about this?

Yep. I researched the waltonpa.com site, before I asked my initial question. What is so challenging about this, you say? Check out the waltonpa.com map--it indicates the parking lot and public walkway for the Dune Allen Beach access are owned by the Viscaya Home Owners association. See plat 03-3S-20-34340-000-00A0

Ergo, what's the challenge with the data of the waltonpa.com website??? Confusing, at best, in this instance. QED.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Respect Private Property. Its that simple.

Unless you are invited as M Yolo has invited you to their private sand lot.

I'll be sending my two VRBOs to you next season. They are well behaved and responsible.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
And they would be welcome! The beaches are not like most private property and those with a lick of common sense realiizes it! When we bought here in 1991, there wasn't a "private beach" sign in sight on Blue Mountain Beach. People sat, played and enjoyed the beach without harassment. Since then, some have moved here who obviously have a different view of what matters in this nation than their predecessors had. It is a sad state of affairs that some do not accept what is obvious to so many and what should be the right of all American citizens.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Exactly! Just like healthcare, fair wages and workers rights. Damn Andy I'm proud of you.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Respect Private Property. Its that simple. Unless you are invited as M Yolo has invited you to their private sand lot. I'll be sending my two VRBOs to you next season. They are well behaved and responsible.

In response:

Yes. Respect private property. You seem to miss the point of my thread. Private property ends at the MHWL (thanks, JodiFL, for that info). Between the MHWL and the gulf waters is NOT private property. Additionally, where that MHWL is, is largely arbitrary and capricious--unless you have a long-term coastal survey in your hands. And finally, the local WCSO seem not to be able (or do not desire) to enforce the "private property concern" due to the variables and definitions.

No. No need for info on your VRBO's. Thanks to the 2007 downturn, I have seven gulf front VRBOs myself. I also live for six months of the year (Spring, Fall) in a private residence directly on the gulf.

No. I'm not a tourista looking for a place to pitch a circus tent and beer cooler. I actually like having people walk, sit, and enjoy the beaches in front of my "private property". It's not an irritant for me. As long as those folks "leave it, as they found it", I'm glad to talk with them and mutually enjoy what the day and "the big man up above" has given us. In a number of instances, the people I've met on the "my beach" have become my long-term friends over the last 15 years.

No. My issue, as originally stated, was not the "hey-there-are-strangers-violating-my-pristine-sand" concern you have.....but rather, the tasteless posting of the SIGNS that some owners feel compelled to stick in the sand. Bad appearance. Bad attitude. Bad image for the visitors. Consider WHY the sheriff's office does NOT enforce this concern.

"My" beaches are not private, and unless a tourist with kids-in-tow knocks on my door demanding to use my swimming pool, I have no concerns.

Why not feel the same? Life is too short. No reason to hoard your sand.

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The MHWL is a 20 year average.

If your theory is correct than why are there deputies that enforce the "20 foot" rule, allegedly adopted by the State Attorney and the WCSO, one deputy feels the entire beach if Public and then there is the MHWL confusion.

Get a survey, mark your property with pins, put the GPS location of each on the survey, keep it with you to show to all those who trespass.

Private Beach is Private Beach

Public is Public.

It all comes down to the deed and what the survey says.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I really hate to do this, but in some instances private beach is legitimate:

Vizcaya.jpg

This is the originally filed plat of Vizcaya overlaid the current waltonpa.com site. According to it that community has lost over half its beach. I fully understand the argument that this would make the existing sand completely private, but again one would have to average the surveys over the year to determine the new current line and then have that line surveyed. The short sighted worrying about someone setting up a tent, some chairs and having a cooler and a good time over the fact that you have lost half of your beach is stupefying.