• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
MC Davis is not only an environmentalist but a business man, which means, I am sure he will be happy to sell you guys the property to build a public park or whatever happy little thing you choose with it.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
What I wrote is from firsthand experience with prior developments. What part of what I wrote do you have an issue with?

I mispoke. On re-reading your post, I agree with all you have said. I originally had a problem with the "elite" part.

MiniRolls

Beach Crab
Feb 23, 2013
Franklin, TN
Dear Residents & Homeowners of 30A,

Protect 30A from Proposed Hampton Inn Development in Seagrove.

Please sign this petition and forward to your fellow residents of 30A! Each Commissioner on the Planning Board will automatically receive an email expressing concern by signing the online petition.

Our Walton County Commissioners will be meeting Thursday, Dec 11, at 5:00 at the Walton County Annex with approval of building a Hampton Inn on 30A in Seagrove Beach. I believe approval of this project would be detrimental to 30A for homeowners, friends and visitors of 30A alike.

30A has been uniquely preserved and is one set apart from Panama City Beach, Sandestin, Destin, etc. where permanent residents, homeowners, and seasonal visitors come to escape such development. Please sign the online petition letting the Walton County Planning Commission know you oppose the proposed Hampton Inn development on 30A. In addition, call and contact each representative in the petition. If you are not able to attend, don’t assume it will not be approved. Ensure you voice is heard by signing the online petition!

I created a petition to the following:
Bill Chapman, District 1 Commissioner
Cecilia Jones, District 2 Commissioner
Bill Imfeld, District 3 Commissioner, Chair

Sara Comander (R), District 4 Commissioner, Vice Chair

Cindy Meadows (R), District 5 Commissioner

Carrie Thiemann

Please sign this petition and forward to your fellow residents of 30A!

Click here to view and sign: http://havn.re/Protect30A or
[h=5]http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/protect-30a-from-proposed?source=c.em.cp&r_by=11998620[/h]

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
MC Davis is not only an environmentalist but a business man, which means, I am sure he will be happy to sell you guys the property to build a public park or whatever happy little thing you choose with it.

After looking at the development plan I would label him a douche who cares not for the area, residents or visitors, who pulled off a great PR coup by 'giving' land to environmental causes. But I guess sliminess is in the eye of the beholder.

Not a developer just seen this movie before.

It's all about COMPATIBILITY.

Seems like this should be classified as a "major development order". A more involved process with more hoops to jump through. If it's not yet then making a little noise with planning will have them push it to a major D. O. Major D. O. includes language about compatibility. If enough people who live there argue it is not compatible there is a possibility of nixing it. It then becomes political. Might not work since there are a couple of big condos near there.

If it comes down to a compromise then you may get the number of rooms reduced, limit lighting and parking, and maybe even force a more pleasing design.

I've seen a few Hampton Inns in downtown areas that kind of match the architecture. Also would be good to have all the parking out of sight.

Condo owners, associations, and small hotels should be leading the charge. A chain hotel will bring competition and lower rents.
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll focus on compatibility because that's how we beat Toscana, eight 4000-square-ft. homes on a footprint that's .63 acre (so they had to go vertical, not compatible with the neighborhood in Seagrove) and to be sold for, if my memory serves me correctly, a total of about 40 million dollars. Also I like the things JKBeach said.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If you want to talk compatibility, you need only draw a half mile radius, and I'll bet close to 50% of the dwellings are mobile homes. Maybe some exaggeration, but this area contains much of the old Florida we love.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Make sure you ask the planning commission about storm water runoff. From what I've seen of the plans there is no plan except to dump it on adjoining parcels.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
After looking at the development plan I would label him a douche who cares not for the area, residents or visitors, who pulled off a great PR coup by 'giving' land to environmental causes. But I guess sliminess is in the eye of the beholder.

No doubt you've given millions to environmental causes as well in order to call him a douche, but since you have why not spend a few more and buy this property from him and open a scrub oak and sea oat forest with high fences all around???

or you could just make another few thousand posts online and pretend it's just as valuable...

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
1. Not compatible with 30A style. We Old Fart SoWallers don't like chains. If you want chains, go to Destin or Panty Maw City. That being said, I can't believe Subway got in. But Starbucks has gone bye-bye.
2. Hampton Inn -- not classy. The hotel in Rosemary -- classy. We try to stay classy on 30A.
3. A condo that sleeps the same number of people would not address the Eastern Lake Road beach access problems.
4. I'm not happy about chain hotels on 98. But when that happens, Walton County needs to charge for entrance to the public beach accesses and start towing vehicles parked on private property near these accesses. As a homeowner in WaterSound, I have to pay a yearly fee to use the Deer Lake access. And I pay a lot of taxes to Walton County every year. So I don't think it's too much to ask short-term visitors to pay for beach access.

Ha ha BR, we Old Fart SoWallers don't like chains. Don't knock my Panama City Beach, we vacation there but in privately owned condos/townhouses. But we can't afford the classy along 30A. Anyway, I can't see a 90 room place over there myself. Hopefully it won't be built for your all's benefit.

Last edited: