Hampton Inn Seagrove Beach on Chateau Hotel Property

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Franny, Dec 3, 2014.

1. bentley williams

bentley williams Beach Fanatic

Not sure mobile home preservation argument will work. ;-)

2. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Precedence. We let one in, and the La Quinta, Hyatt Place, Comfort Inn, etc. will be able to follow. Great places on the interstate, but not compatible with the style of vacation experience that people expect on 30A. Nobody plans a vacation here then looks for lodging in a chain hotel. The 30a vacationers might stay in a hotel chain while traveling here, but don't want to see one when they arrive.

I am very concerned about beach access problems.

3. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Thanks for creating this petition and sharing on SoWal Forums! It is now viral on facebook!

As of today...
    There are currently 1,880 signatures. NEW goal - We need 2,000 signatures!

4. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Photo of proposed Chateau/Hampton Inn site by Lynn Nesmith (facebook)

[​IMG]

5. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

90 units on 2.4 acres with no stormwater retention? How is that even legal?

6. DestinDeb

DestinDeb Beach Lover

The meeting to consider the approval of the Hampton Inn to be built next to Seagrove Baptist Church on 30A is Thursday, Dec 11 at 5:00 in the Walton County Annex. There are petitions out there that can be signed if you are unable to go. Building this Hampton Inn on this location with be a detriment to the area ecologically, logistically as far as traffic, and will change the face of the 30A that people have come from all over the world to enjoy for many, many years. Not to mention leading to the reduction of our property values. Please come to the meeting and let your voice be heard on this development plan.

7. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I stand corrected, he is a pine scented douche:wave:

8. smithwjhg

smithwjhg Beach Comber

WJHG wants to do a story on this potential development. We were out there today and everyone we talked to was against it, but no one would go on camera. We really can't do a story without folks talking about it. Anyone that would be willing to speak feel free to contact me and I will have a reporter get in touch with you.

Thanks,

Chris
    chris.smith@wjhg.com

9. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Where were you Chris?

10. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    It's ridiculous to suggest that a private citizen should purchase the property (totally impractical due to how many owners of vacant property could propose developments that violate the character and quality of life of 30A). What the Planning Commission is presenting on behalf of the owner is a bad proposal. That's what the Planning Commission and BCC rules are supposed to prevent.

And how can you assume to know what certain individuals have donated in either money or sweat equity for environmental causes? And actually that's not the point.

11. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    You can't compare Fair Hope to 30A.

12. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

At tonight's County Commission meeting, some people showed up thinking that the hotel was on the agenda. The county commission chairman announced that this was a Planning Commission item and he had been told that it would be delayed to the Jan. 8 Planning Commission meeting. However I think the Planning Commission has to vote on Dec. 11 to officially delay the proposal.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  13. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I didn't see this posted yet, but here's a petition you can sign if you do not want the Hampton Inn to be on 30A. You can also pass this link onto your friends who are not on SoWal.com:

Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/protect-30a-from-proposed?source=s.fwd&r_by=12027827

The petition says:

That's why I signed a petition to Bill Chapman, District 1 Commissioner, Cecilia Jones, District 2 Commissioner, Bill Imfeld, District 3 Commissioner, Chair, Sara Comande, District 4 Commissioner, Vice Chair, Cindy Meadows, District 5 Commissioner, and Carrie Thiemann, which says:

"William "Bill" Chapman, District 1 Commissioner
    9446 Rock Hill Road
    Ponce de Leon, FL 32455
    Office (850) 835-4860
    chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Dear Commissioner Meadows,

I am writing with great concern over the proposed Hampton Inn development in Seagrove. I am truly shocked that this project would be considered as it goes against the heart of 30A—it’s non-commercial appeal and preservation of beautifully unique neighborhoods. Introducing a chain hotel would change the face of 30A for its residents, friends and visitors of 30A alike.

30A has set itself apart due to its high values and insight from our Planning Commission and County Commissioners. I know that you very well understand the importance of this as you are a leader with great vision, a champion in neighborhood preservation and were instrumental in designating 30 A as a Florida Scenic Highway.

In closing, I stress that I believe approval of this project would be detrimental to our area. Please do not approve the proposed Hampton Inn development in Seagrove!

Thank you!
    "

14. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

Ethan posted it on post #53 but that's Ok it's probably good to post it again.

15. smithwjhg

smithwjhg Beach Comber

It was not me... it was our SoWal reporter, Cristina. She stopped by pretty much every business from One Seagrove to Watersound and no one would publicly comment.

The reporter on this story Wed/Thu is Meg Rose. Her email is meg.rose@wjhg.com if anyone wants to reach out to her and comment.

--Chris

16. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Maybe it's just me (not paying enough attention), but it seems like a lot of these more controversial projects seem to be brought up to the Boards around Christmas time, when people are very pre-occupied, or January, when very few people are here, to voice opposing opinions, or are still distracted by post-Christmas bills and football. Is this just coincidence? And who will give a damn about a petition that was signed "last year"?

17. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

] Tell Christina to attend the meeting on Thursday. She will get plenty of people to talk on camera. Stopping in businesses and asking opinions of people who might be employees and not business owners was probably not going to get results- smart employees won't comment if they don't know their employers' views on the subject.

18. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

A reporter's best friend is Happy Hour.

19. Bdarg

Bdarg Beach Fanatic

Yes, you are correct. The holiday season is always the best time to slip under the radar. That is an often exploited trick at multiple levels public, and as an extra benefit if things go south, the holidays minimize the gossip circuit.

20. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Around here a reporter's best friend should be SoWal.com and the FB Walton County Visioning group page. ;)