• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Here's the update and it isn't pretty. Chateau Hotel in reality will be a standard four story Hampton Inn on the property between the strip mall and the Seagrove Baptist Church. It will contain 90 rooms and I have seen the plans. I'm still in shock and it's hard to believe the county would even approve this but you never know. With all the new development going in on 30A we won't have to worry about anyone reducing the speed limit. We will all be going ZERO miles an hour!!!

Last edited:

30awatch

Beach Crab
Dec 7, 2014
The Pearl

Even if it has, how long do you think it's going to take before something similar is built there. A piece of land with such high visibility.

Check out www.thepearlrb.com. It's the type of high-end boutique hotel befitting Rosemary Beach and offers more of an Adult experience with it's upper, outdoor bar overlooking the Gulf and Pool. It is privately owned but under a management contract with St. Joe.

The former developer went bankrupt, originally named Hotel Saba, it was incomplete for several years but was never allowed to become an eyesore.

Here's the update and it isn't pretty. Chateau Hotel in reality will be a standard four story Hampton Inn on the property between the strip mall and the Seagrove Baptist Church. It will contain 90 rooms and I have seen the plans. I'm still in shock and it's hard to believe the county would even approve this but you never know. With all the new development going in on 30A we won't have to worry about anyone reducing the speed limit. We will all be going ZERO miles an hour!!!
For real?

Here's what I wrote to Mr. Underwood:

"I am in opposition to the Chateau development next to Seagrove Baptist. A chain hotel is a totally incompatible genre for that neighborhood (and for the entire 30A Scenic Highway). Its renters will flood the Eastern Lake Road area with cars parked there to get to the public beach accesses at Ramsgate and at the end of Eastern Lake Road. My sister owns three properties south of Eastern Lake Road. I have stayed at one of her homes many times. It is ridiculous how many people park in her front yard in Summer’s Edge and in Dalton Place to get to these accesses. They even block her driveways! Then the beach is overcrowded by all of the illegal parkers trespassing into these private neighborhoods to get to the public beach accesses that don’t have adequate parking to accommodate them."

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
1. What's the difference whether it is there or on 98, say around Peach Creek?

2. Does it really matter that it's a chain or is it the number of rooms that matters?

3. Would a condo that sleeps the same number of people make it better?

4. There will likely be a dozen chain hotels on 98 soon enough. Should we stop them?

1. What's the difference whether it is there or on 98, say around Peach Creek?

2. Does it really matter that it's a chain or is it the number of rooms that matters?

3. Would a condo that sleeps the same number of people make it better?

4. There will likely be a dozen chain hotels on 98 soon enough. Should we stop them?
1. Not compatible with 30A style. We Old Fart SoWallers don't like chains. If you want chains, go to Destin or Panty Maw City. That being said, I can't believe Subway got in. But Starbucks has gone bye-bye.
2. Hampton Inn -- not classy. The hotel in Rosemary -- classy. We try to stay classy on 30A.
3. A condo that sleeps the same number of people would not address the Eastern Lake Road beach access problems.
4. I'm not happy about chain hotels on 98. But when that happens, Walton County needs to charge for entrance to the public beach accesses and start towing vehicles parked on private property near these accesses. As a homeowner in WaterSound, I have to pay a yearly fee to use the Deer Lake access. And I pay a lot of taxes to Walton County every year. So I don't think it's too much to ask short-term visitors to pay for beach access.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
1. Not compatible with 30A style. We Old Fart SoWallers don't like chains. If you want chains, go to Destin or Panty Maw City. That being said, I can't believe Subway got in. But Starbucks has gone bye-bye.
2. Hampton Inn -- not classy. The hotel in Rosemary -- classy. We try to stay classy on 30A.
3. A condo that sleeps the same number of people would not address the Eastern Lake Road beach access problems.
4. I'm not happy about chain hotels on 98. But when that happens, Walton County needs to charge for entrance to the public beach accesses and start towing vehicles parked on private property near these accesses. As a homeowner in WaterSound, I have to pay a yearly fee to use the Deer Lake access. And I pay a lot of taxes to Walton County every year. So I don't think it's too much to ask short-term visitors to pay for beach access.

If not classy is your argument at the BCC you will get laughed at.

Public beach accesses are first come first serve for parking. You can't charge for public parking since tax money paid for them but you can tow from private property. Thing is, almost all road right of ways are public and should not cause towing. Some property owners are trying to keep people off by putting up fences and signs on public property. We shouldn't allow that.

Deer Lake is a State Park not a county public access.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I love it!!! Tourist pay to park!

Tow them to Freeport or DFS if they park illegally!

Our local tow services are "small businesses", support them and teach tourists that disobey rules that there are consequences.

(Wait, I just woke up to realize it was a dream. This is Walton County, tourists tell us what to do...).