Hampton Inn Seagrove Beach on Chateau Hotel Property

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Franny, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Red Iris

Red Iris Beach Crab

Why be concerned about a commercial establishment. 30A will not stay the same forever. Anyone who thinks that is just dreaming. Think of the town you grew up in...Is it exactly the same today as it was when you lived there?

2. Red Iris

Red Iris Beach Crab

Would you rather the Atlanta elite just keep building 12,000 sq.ft. homes everywhere? They will eventually build their own little paradise for themselves and eliminate all public beach access. Don't believe that will happen? Just go to Ponte Vedra Beach and try to find a public beach access or parking anywhere. Money can buy a beach.

3. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

It's not about preserving 30A in a bottle, it's about preserving the character and uniqueness of the area. You can do that and have development, responsible development has always been welcome on 30A.

30A isn't anything like Ponte Vedra Beach, how many state parks are in that area? Did the residents/second home owners actively pursue public parking and beach accesses as we do here? I doubt it.

4. seal

seal Beach Lover

Wasn't the "Curve" in Scenic 98, that provided for Destiny By The Sea, constructed in one day, Christmas Eve or Christmas day?

5. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I just saw that this morning. I didn't scroll to page two of this discussion board when I posted the petition and I only saw the discussion on page 1. So, I guess it was useful to post it again anyway in case anyone else didn't see it. Anyone can send the link to others invested in the beauty, safety, and uniqueness (and avoidance of chains as much as possible) along 30A.

6. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

First, although I signed the petition, we can't object solely based on "it doesn't fit the look or ideology of 30a" . Bottom line it is potentially going to cause flooding problems with a dune lake and a neighborhood that already floods because of their lack of a retention pond and a built up foundation and parking field. That particular area is at the speed reduction zone, so more traffic entering an already slow 30a. These are the reasons that they veto, not because we don't like the look.

7. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/civicalerts.aspx?AID=1031

PUBLIC NOTICE: Planning Commission Potential Hampton Inn Development Item Rescheduled for January 8

The following Planning Item in regard to the development of a potential Hampton Inn has been rescheduled for the January 8th Planning Meeting.

Re-Design of Chateau 30A - Project number 14-00100167 is being reviewed by Brian Underwood. This is a major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc., requesting approval to develop a 44,205 square foot, 90-room limited lodging hotel and a 660 square foot retail space on a 2.4-acre parcel with a future land use of Village Mixed Use. The project is located on East CR 30A north of Williams Street and is identified by parcel number(s) 24-3S-19-25030-000-0021.

The rescheduling of the items was done so at the request of the developer.
    The January 8th Planning Commission Meeting will be held at 5:00pm in the South Walton Annex Board Room located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach.

8. poppy

poppy Banned

I agree, Fairhope is a stunningly beautiful city with a vibrant downtown area, parks, tree lined streets and a thriving art community. There is a water front park and a 1400 ft. public pier with a marina and restaurant. The park has a rose garden and fountain, plus picnic tables, pavilion, duck pond, tree trail, and a large sandy beach and parking. There are also bluff top parks along the bay. In 2007, Fairhope was named the second best small town in the south by Southern Living magazine.

9. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    If you look at Google earth, the difference between Fair Hope's Hampton Inn and the one proposed in Seagrove is that the former is surrounded by a commercial area and totally compatibile with that area. Not so for the proposed Seagrove Hampton Inn.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  10. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

From Walton County Public Information:

PUBLIC NOTICE

The following Planning Item in regard to the development of a potential Hampton Inn has been rescheduled for the January 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Planning Meeting.

Re-Design of Chateau 30A - Project number 14-00100167 is being reviewed by Brian Underwood. This is a major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc., requesting approval to develop a 44,205 square foot, 90-room limited lodging hotel and a 660 square foot retail space on a 2.4-acre parcel with a future land use of Village Mixed Use. The project is located on East CR 30A north of Williams Street and is identified by parcel number(s) 24-3S-19-25030-000-0021.

The rescheduling of the items was done so at the request of the developer.

The January 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Planning Commission Meeting will be held at 5:00pm in the South Walton Annex Board Room located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach.

11. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Here's an idea...

Compare this new proposed Hampton Inn vs. the Superduper Mega Wedding House (there are two that sleep 30+, just north of Bramble Grove).

Compare them as to how they impact the community. Some examples might be:

Which one has occupancy limits?

Which one has full licensing and insurance?

Which one will provide Adequate Parking for their property and guests?

Which on may contribute to local charity?

Just some ideas to contrast and compare.

As for Ch. 7 "needing to speak to people" that's a lame excuse. Do the research, create a story, don't rely on people who are hesitant to speak to do you jobs for you. Go report.

12. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

nothing locals like more than an Atlanta housewife deciding she should dictate what they may or may not do with their million dollar private property

13. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Actually I'm a Professor and Chair of Computer Science and Math and have two M.S. and a Ph.D. degree. Hubby has a M.S. and Ph.D. in engineering and M.B.A.s from UVA and UNC too, and as C.O.O. of a major international manufacturing company, he knows how to negotiate. We care about the future of South Walton because we own a non-rental home here. We have fought other incompatible projects in South Walton and have won.

So I'm not just some Atlanta housewife who is bored.

14. poppy

poppy Banned

My point is Fairhope vs 30A is an apples and oranges comparison. Fairhope is an actual city with mayor, city council, police dept. etc.

15. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

Bad ass! What a nice F U response! Didnt see that one coming I bet:))))

16. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Seaducer could care less. While I said I was glad to see him return, I also knew he would only try to stir the pot on many issues. It is evidently how he gets his kicks and when he does so, he should be ignored or you should consider the source.

17. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

The thought of something like this even being considerd is frightening. The additional load on small neighborhood beach accesses, the environmental impact, the density. Is there precedent for the county denying development permits for such projects, or do they just approve anything brought before them as long as it meets the current zoning requirements?

18. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

seaducer is from Destin. Maybe he likes the way Destin looks. I don't. It's why I chose South Walton.

19. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Part of the problem is they approve almost anything because there is no zoning requirements, only land use codes which, in themselves, are vague and useless for useful, controlled development. Walton County badly needs to come into the 21st centuray and instill some valid, well defined zoning codes. They refuse to do it for some unknown reason.

20. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

I frankly don't care if you're both an astronaut and a beauty queen, and I'm sure most here find your little list as impressive as you find it.....the question is why don't you and "hubby" do something other than show up and try to slam the door behind you? Someone as proud of your credentials must be capable of doing more than simply asking true local governance to protect your shallow interests.

How much property have you and "hubby" locked into conservation down here near your private "non-rental' vacation home?