• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Would someone be able to explain to me the difference in the land development code vs. the Walton County Comp plan and how the attorney for the developer was able to have the land development code changed so that the limited lodging maximum went from 75-125 rooms? I'm not well versed in planning and zoning and would like some clarification. It seems to me that the intent of the LDC was to keep 30a limited lodging to a max of 75 rooms, but that this was somehow trumped by the Comp plan. If this is the case, what use is the LDC and who's to say that anything in it will not be changed in the future by attorneys with clients who have a financial benefit? Thanks for any explanation.

The relationship between the Comp Plan and the LDC is governed by Florida Statute. It's pretty much all in here http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...eYear=2012&Title=->2012->Chapter 163->Part II

Good luck deciphering all that. In general the Comp Plan is supposed to be the guiding document for growth management and has to contain various elements with goals and policies. The LDC is supposed to be the nuts and bolts of implementing the comp plan. If we had zoning in this county the LDC is where the details would be. The two documents are supposed to be consistent. Both are available on the county website and both have been changed from 75 to 125 units for limited lodging. I don't think enough attention has been paid to this change, how and when and why both were changed. I would like a lot more details and explanation from the county about that.
In general terms most of the changes I have seen over the years have favored "attorneys with clients who have a financial benefit." You pretty much nailed it. Change is a two edged sword - it could work for other community interests such as lower densities, preservation of certain community attributes, more appropriate stormwater management, etc. but it unusually doesn't.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
A very good summation and explaination, NotDeadYet. Thank you. BTW, the meeting on VMU yesterday was very interesting to say the least.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
It seems that everyone who doesn't agree with the mainstream users of this forum is a troll.
I don't necessarily agree with everyone on this board and I don't consider myself a troll. Although I do live under a bridge down by the water in a van.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Can you please expand on your comments?

It was a meeting to propose changes to the Village Mixed Use ordinance. A draft of the changes was handed out to those present. This was a preliminary meeting and we were told there would be more discussion to come. I suggest if you are interested, you contact the Planning Department to get a copy of the proposed ordinance. It is 7 pages in length. The comments by those attending the workshop were varied but all supported the premise that 30A is a unique area and should be treated as such. The planners saw a difference as well and divided those area affected by VMU into catagories, if I understood correctly, with each having somewhat different criteria for use of the ordinance. This is a general overview of what I observed and, as I do not take notes, very generalized.

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
It was a meeting to propose changes to the Village Mixed Use ordinance. A draft of the changes was handed out to those present. This was a preliminary meeting and we were told there would be more discussion to come. I suggest if you are interested, you contact the Planning Department to get a copy of the proposed ordinance. It is 7 pages in length. The comments by those attending the workshop were varied but all supported the premise that 30A is a unique area and should be treated as such. The planners saw a difference as well and divided those area affected by VMU into catagories, if I understood correctly, with each having somewhat different criteria for use of the ordinance. This is a general overview of what I observed and, as I do not take notes, very generalized.

Thank you. I will try to get a copy of the ordinance you referenced.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
This came in an email to me from Cindy Meadows newsletter yesterday regarding the meeting about the
Hampton Inn -
The BCC will hold a quasi-judicial hearing on March 5 at 4:00pm at the Seascape Golf, Beach and Tennis Resort Conference Center at 556 Seascape Drive, Miramar Beach, Florida 32550.

annie watson

Banned
Oct 1, 2013
I signed the petition because a friend asked me to. However, I'm not sure it was appropriate for me to do so since I no longer live in Seagrove Beach and I no longer own property along 30a. While I'm not personally in favor of a hotel being built, I also don't like any of the other developments being built either but one 90 room hotel isn't going to ruin my life. We enjoyed our place in Seagrove Beach for 20 years but it was time to move on.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
There was a commissioners meeting in Defuniak on the 27th and they discussed the re design of Chateau 30A. People still refuse to call the Hampton a Hampton but we all know what it is. A video of that meeting should be available but as of yet I haven't found it. Anyone out there have any suggestions on where to look?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The discussion at the BCC meeting was to schedule the meeting to discuss the redesign of the project. Officially, the project was Chateau whatever something and changing it is a redesign of the original project, so that's what it is called. Scheduling the special meeting was the only thing discussed.