• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
Sorry this is LONG!

My family - grown children, grandchildren, pets - came down for a week to visit with us. This morning my sons went down and set up six chairs on the beach close together. We didn't take up more than 15-18 feet. They said there was nothing else (chairs, etc) anywhere near ours. When we went down two hours later, a beach chair rental vendor had moved three of our chairs back in order up set up four of their own, with umbrellas.

We asked the people sitting there if they had moved our chairs and they said no, the chair vendor did. I got the number displayed on the umbrella, called the vendor, left a message and the guy called back and apologized. He said his worker who put them out should not have done that - they are not supposed to touch other peoples property.

We ended up squeezed into a smaller area and all is fine. I do feel SO BAD though, because I was so rude to the people who had rented the chairs and through no fault of their own, ours had been moved. I apologized to them, but it was on the middle of my rant, so I'm sure it did not sound sincere!

Personal note: no need to read this if you are just interested in beach chair rental policies and violations. I found out last week that I have a serious health issue that will require surgery when I get back home next week and more than likely follow up treatment. I have been snapping at everyone this week, even though I am trying so hard not to. I'm thinking that might be why I was rude to the people sitting in their rented chairs, just trying to enjoy their vacation. I feel so bad. Maybe I should go to the doctor to get some "don't give a flip" drugs....

tomboymuldowney

Beach Comber
Jul 3, 2012
Sorry this is LONG! My family - grown children, grandchildren, pets - came down for a week to visit with us. This morning my sons went down and set up six chairs on the beach close together. We didn't take up more than 15-18 feet. They said there was nothing else (chairs, etc) anywhere near ours. When we went down two hours later, a beach chair rental vendor had moved three of our chairs back in order up set up four of their own, with umbrellas. We asked the people sitting there if they had moved our chairs and they said no, the chair vendor did. I got the number displayed on the umbrella, called the vendor, left a message and the guy called back and apologized. He said his worker who put them out should not have done that - they are not supposed to touch other peoples property. We ended up squeezed into a smaller area and all is fine. I do feel SO BAD though, because I was so rude to the people who had rented the chairs and through no fault of their own, ours had been moved. I apologized to them, but it was on the middle of my rant, so I'm sure it did not sound sincere! Personal note: no need to read this if you are just interested in beach chair rental policies and violations. I found out last week that I have a serious health issue that will require surgery when I get back home next week and more than likely follow up treatment. I have been snapping at everyone this week, even though I am trying so hard not to. I'm thinking that might be why I was rude to the people sitting in their rented chairs, just trying to enjoy their vacation. I feel so bad. Maybe I should go to the doctor to get some "don't give a flip" drugs....

The vendor you called was probably the guy that moved it. Easy to deflect over the phone.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
We have a vacation home in the eastern lake area, so we are not actually locals. This is our first summer in the house and I'm not one to spend time on the hot beach, so this was really the first time I have sat in a chair out near the water. Just wondered if this happens a lot.

Last edited:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
No one should have moved your chairs! This is a fairly new problem on the beaches and I hope it gets resolved soon. A new vendor ordinance is now in place but I'm not hearing any relief to beachgoers as of yet.

Frim what I've seen, the problem has become worse since the new ordnance was initiated. In front of One Seagrove a few weeks ago there was only a tiny area open that wasn't covered with vendor beach chairs. In all the years we've been coming down I've never seen it that bad. We are coming back down next week and I want to be prepared to call the right person who can do something. Does anyone know what number and who I can call? TIA

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
We have a vacation home in the eastern lake area, so we are not actually locals. This is our first summer in the house and I'm not one to spend time on the hot beach, so this was really the time I have sat in a chair out near the water. Just wondered if this happens a lot.

If it was the guy at Ramsgate who drives the Auburn truck he like to start duels - company is 30a something.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Frim what I've seen, the problem has become worse since the new ordnance was initiated. In front of One Seagrove a few weeks ago there was only a tiny area open that wasn't covered with vendor beach chairs. In all the years we've been coming down I've never seen it that bad. We are coming back down next week and I want to be prepared to call the right person who can do something. Does anyone know what number and who I can call? TIA
beach code enforcement Jeff 850-428-0089 I would call him before you arrive back next week and alert him...then follow up after you arrive and see nothing has changed....give him vendor names and numbers....persistence pays off ( i.e. BMB )