• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
We are long time residents of Walton County and not outsiders. People who live, work and raise families here. Who contribute a great deal to their community and have for a very long time. That's just wrong.

Misty didn't say you were an outsider. Not all "non-native" residents of the county are outsiders. The issue garnered press as far away as the Tampa Tribune and guest columns were run in the local paper by writers from outside Walton County. So there were, indeed, "outsiders" involved in the issue.

It's okay, Teresa. Us natives love our newer neighbors as well as our old ones.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Chickens. Switching one racist symbol with another. Wow. What leadership. Sickening really . My heart aches for all of us and especially the African Americans that spoke today.
Calling people "chickens" is rather inflammatory don't you think?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Misty didn't say you were an outsider. Not all "non-native" residents of the county are outsiders. The issue garnered press as far away as the Tampa Tribune and guest columns were run in the local paper by writers from outside Walton County. So there were, indeed, "outsiders" involved in the issue.

I've heard several people talking about the "outsiders" comment by Cindy Meadows today, with several interpretations. None of them taken well by people who live and work here. I missed it so I really have no idea what she meant.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Why not put it all in a beautiful museum so we can truly honor our history and heritage.. And really understand it. We could have done something good today.
That would only happen if people would quit calling the Confederate Battle Flag racist and now the Bars and Stripes flag of the Confederacy.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I don't care for your opinion but I will respect it. Your opinion will continue to inspire and motivate people like me to defend our heritage. One day my generation will be gone and maybe then ya'll can truly desecrate the Confederate Flag. Just not today.

I have a dream... and it will one day come true. And nothing can take away your heritage - it is yours to keep and celebrate as you wish any time.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

I am an outsider all though I have lived here 30 + years. However, because I am an outsider and because I didn't care whether it stayed or was taken down, I didn't attend the meeting and didn't contact the Commissioners. I didn't have a dog in the hunt.

What I said (in case you missed it, I've only said it 1000 + times) is that I supported local Community involvement in the political process and their rights to free speech and the right to peacefully assemble in regard to the Pride Ride.

The issue garnered press from as far away as the Tampa Tribune because of Danny Uhfelder, his contacts with the NAACP and Richards (the attorney from Tallahassee) who lives here part time. If you want me to be brutally honest honest in my opinion, I think that's exactly what they were looking for...PRESS!

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I've heard several people talking about the "outsiders" comment by Cindy Meadows today, with several interpretations. None of them taken well by people who live and work here. I missed it so I really have no idea what she meant.

It's on the video Teresa and those who balked at what she said were the folks who wanted the flag removed.

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008

You don't know what she meant, but you are offended? You might wanna check your sensitivity at the door, Teresa. Don't look for reasons for offense.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I have a dream... and it will one day come true. And nothing can take away your heritage - it is yours to keep and celebrate as you wish any time.
I like the speech, really. But, this is what you do not understand. Every time you call the Confederate Flag a racist symbol you are trying to take away my proud heritage. We are all proud Americans yet we have done things that were wrong. Slavery was wrong but it existed throughout this Country. Racism is wrong but it existed all through this Country (both then and now). I wish you could understand this because it would allow us that common ground that we both seek.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
You don't know what she meant, but you are offended? You might wanna check your sensitivity at the door, Teresa. Don't look for reasons for offense.

I'm not offended. I missed the comment. I've asked for clarification as I've heard many remark on Cindy's comments today. And not just the outsider comment.

I may be disappointed in today's outcome but I am not surprised or personally offended. Our community came together to resolve an issue. I don't have to like the outcome.

Perhaps you would like to state your own views on the matter? That would be great.