• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty, my entire position was about the African American people from the beginning of this discussion. How they feel and what they think about a confederate flag on public land.

We heard from some good people today. I heard what they had to say..

They were not poor blacks. I said their standing up today was excellent. Nothing to pity. Everything to admire.

You don't need to think about it. But some people do. I do.

Maybe it's your story but it is assuredly not mine. I'm not racist, I didn't have a dog in the fight but I did listen and I watched a few whites with an agenda further divide this County and to me that is what is really sad!!

I think every person who spoke today did so with passion and conviction for what they believed and I absolutely respect the freedom they enjoyed today to be able to do that. Admittedly its been a struggle but we were never promised a rose garden either.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Maybe it's your story but it is assuredly not mine. I'm not racist, I didn't have a dog in the fight but I did listen and I watched a few whites with an agenda further divide this County and to me that is what is really sad!!

I think every person who spoke today did so with passion and conviction for what they believed and I absolutely respect the freedom they enjoyed today to be able to do that. Admittedly its been a struggle but we were never promised a rose garden either.

I heard several people speak today on all sides. The only ones that got my attention with their words happened to be African American residents. They weren't twisting facts or pushing an agenda. They simply told of their own experiences and asked for the removal of the flag. I was humbled. I didn't care about the words of any other person or commissioner after that. And I was also sobbing for them because it could easily be me and my children living under that reminder.

But I do appreciate everyone who took the time to speak. It's such a complex issue with much passion.

I am glad the BCC gave everyone an opportunity to speak their mind. The people have spoken. The BCC has spoken. I'm glad it's over.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I heard several people speak today on all sides. The only ones that got my attention with their words happened to be African American residents. They weren't twisting facts or pushing an agenda. They simply told of their own experiences and asked for the removal of the flag.

Again Teresa, what started this thread was the massacre of blacks in S.C. by a deranged individual with a mission to murder. Those folks didn't live here and no one in Walton County is responsible for that young mans actions.

You gave your attention to the words of the African American residents (I'll be politically correct) because they agreed with your position. I never said they were pushing an agenda I said there were a few whites there who were assuredly pushing an agenda and used the NAACP and County residents to further that agenda.

Everyone who spoke today, spoke from their own personal experiences but they were not your experiences nor were they mine (I refuse to embrace that) and they were just as passionate as any other person in that room.

By the way, it is also my opinion that if you were born and raised in Walton County Fl. you are an American FIRST not African American.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Again Teresa, what started this thread was the massacre of blacks in S.C. by a deranged individual with a mission to murder. Those folks didn't live here and no one in Walton County is responsible for that young mans actions.

You gave your attention to the words of the African American residents (I'll be politically correct) because they agreed with your position. I never said they were pushing an agenda I said there were a few whites there who were assuredly pushing an agenda and used the NAACP and County residents to further that agenda.

Everyone who spoke today, spoke from their own personal experiences but they were not your experiences nor were they mine (I refuse to embrace that) and they were just as passionate as any other person in that room.

By the way, it is also my opinion that if you were born and raised in Walton County Fl. you are an American FIRST not African American.

Amen sister. I hear you.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
I am an outsider all though I have lived here 30 + years. However, because I am an outsider and because I didn't care whether it stayed or was taken down, I didn't attend the meeting and didn't contact the Commissioners. I didn't have a dog in the hunt.

What I said (in case you missed it, I've only said it 1000 + times) is that I supported local Community involvement in the political process and their rights to free speech and the right to peacefully assemble in regard to the Pride Ride.

The issue garnered press from as far away as the Tampa Tribune because of Danny Uhfelder, his contacts with the NAACP and Richards (the attorney from Tallahassee) who lives here part time. If you want me to be brutally honest honest in my opinion, I think that's exactly what they were looking for...PRESS!

Spot on! I think I even remember seeing on the local news that he made a objection/motion to change the date of tonight's hearing because it was his petition and he would be out of town, to which the commissions responded that tonight's meeting is for the people who didn't already get to talk.

Wasn't there but seems like a more then fair compromise for the people who wanted it removed. I'm afraid next they will start making all the former confederate states(FL, GA, MS, AL, SC, ECT) have to take down their state flags because it represents a state that was a part of something that that wasnt perfect, then next to American flag because of reasons mentioned, then next "in god we trust" removed from money, then next we wont even have a court house to go to because tree huggers will make a petition that the materials used to make the building represent a negative history towards all animals and plants

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012

I'm sure YOU are not racist but this comment would be called racist by many people. :roll:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Here are my thoughts on today's events:
1. NO ONE won today. We ALL lost. Cindy Meadows was spot on with her comments that people with an agenda sought to divide our community and succeeded. Things have been said on both sides, both at the meeting and in other forums, that will take much time to heal. Most of those in the room today live, work, go to school, play and go to church together. This was not always so. While race relations are always fragile, prior to June 2015 DeFuniak Springs was in a pretty good place. Most of the younger generation especially get along and respect each other. Sadly this issue has damaged those good relations and placed a barrier between people. While the agitators will go on the the next cause of the day, those of us who live in DFS must try and repair the damage.
2. It was fairly obvious to anyone rationally observing the proceedings that the supporters of the flag were more respectful of the other group and the commissioners and more willing to try and find a solution that everyone could live with. When Mr. Chapman made his motion to remove the flag there were no boos, no jeering and no threats. Conversely, Ms Commander and Ms Meadows were repeatedly interrupted and disrespected, to the point that the chair had to threaten to clear the room. While many local blacks were willing to accept the compromise of the "Stars and Bars" the state NAACP refused to accept any compromise. We listened to those in the Black community who stated their objections to the "battle flag" or "navy jack" and we understood because we share the same memories as they do. The "stars and bars" does not contain the southern cross and is a reasonable compromise. There are many who wanted to keep the battle flag up, but most supporters of the flag were willing to accept the compromise.
3. The 4 commissioners who were present showed a great deal of courage and political will today, whether you agree with them or not. It was extraordinary. While I did not agree with Mr. Chapman, what he said and did took a great deal of guts and I commend his honesty and courage. Likewise, Ms. Meadows demonstrated a like amount of guts and courage. Ms. Commander was truly wanting to find a way to satisfy the greatest number of her constituents and she showed patience and sincerity. Mr. Imfeld did a wonderful job at controlling the meeting and keeping it on point. He showed a great deal of patience and perseverance. All 4 were honest and demonstrated the kind of probity and sensitivity that shows us what representatives can be capable of.
4. Much has been said about not offending a group of citizens. It was very obvious this morning that no matter the decision some group was going to be hurt and offended. The easiest thing would have been to put this on a referendum and let the people decide. That would also have been the most damaging to our community. They could have also done nothing which would have satisfied their constituents in the North. They could have removed the flag and thus went against the clear majority of those expressing an opinion through the various petitions. Or they could compromise and try and bring healing to our community. They chose the last option and I think they were correct.
5. I hope this issue dies down and we can get back to issues that mean something today, not from 150 or even 50 years ago. We need to fix our infrastructure issues and we need to bring in good paying jobs. We have plenty to occupy us.
6. I was very proud to see the young people on both sides, many of whom were getting their first experience in government. I hope they stay involved and help bring about positive change.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
From WZEP AM 1460

CONFEDERATE FLAG STAYS

First National Flag of the Confederacy

To Replace Battle Flag

By: T.H. Merritt

In a sometimes raucous meeting yesterday, Walton County Commissioners voted unanimously to keep the Confederate Flag flying above the Confederate War Memorial on the county courthouse lawn in Defuniak Springs.

There was standing room only at Tuesday’s meeting and an overflow crowd into the administration offices as hundreds of people filled the chamber for Tuesday’s debate. Other county business shadowed the main event as over 50 people signed up to speak before the Board of County Commissioners. Each person was given 3 minutes and several yielded their time to other speakers to keep the process moving.

The session commenced at promptly at 9 AM and by 9:45, the agenda turned to the flag debate. County Administrator Larry Jones began by presenting the commissioners with several viable options. The first was to do nothing and allow the flag to remain. Second, was to remove the flag altogether. Third, was to put the issue to a referendum and allow the people to decide and the fourth option was to replace the “Battle Flag” with the 3rd National Flag of the Confederacy.

Vice-Chairman Sara Comander immediately offered an olive branch in a conciliatory proposal to remove the flag commonly referred to as the “Battle Flag,” and replace it with the First National Flag of the Confederacy.

Despite never having historically represented the Confederate States of America as a country, nor officially recognized as one of its national flags, the rectangular Second Confederate Navy Jack and the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia are commonly referred to as "the Confederate Flag". They both have become a widely recognized symbol of the American south.

Comander’s proposal was immediately met with objections and groans by those who want no Confederate flag at all at the memorial. However, she was applauded and cheered by those who support the flag.

District 1 Commissioner Bill Chapman said he decided the flag must come down and would vote to remove it. District 3 Commissioner Bill Imfeld supported the removal of the flag as well. Both Commissioners said they believed it was a divisive symbol that was not good for the county.

However, it was District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows who urged the commission and residents not to allow outside forces to divide them. She pointed to the very controversy today as proof that conflict among citizens is a tragedy. She said she believed we could and should reach a compromise. Meadows said she thought we could still honor our Confederate dead and also address a version of the flag that many find offensive. She immediately seconded Commissioner Comander’s initial motion to replace the Battle Flag with the more accurate and First National Flag of the Confederacy.

In the end, commissioners agreed and voted unanimously with the compromise first proposed by Commissioner Sara Comander. I spoke with Commissioner Bill Chapman about yesterday’s decision. He said, “ If it cost me the election, then, so be it. I did what I thought was right.”

There was one Commissioner who was conspicuously absent: District 4 Commissioner Cecilia Jones. She took a vacation.

County officials will raise the First National Flag of the Confederacy over the memorial as soon as it arrives.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Danny...so very well said!

Regarding Kurts post from WZEP...

There was one Commissioner who was conspicuously absent: District 4 Commissioner Cecilia Jones. She took a vacation.

Is anyone really surprised by this?