• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
A Memorial Service in honor of slain Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Deputy Bill Myers has been scheduled for Monday, September 28th at 11 a.m. inside the Raider Arena at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville.
The service will be open to the public and members of the media.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the “Make a Wish Foundation” in Deputy Myers memory.
Additional details on the service will be released as they become available.

From the OCSO FB page...

The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office is overwhelmed by the magnitude of the community’s outpouring of support in the aftermath of yesterday’s shooting death of 64-year old Deputy Bill Myers.
In response to numerous requests on ways to contribute to assist the family or law enforcement we wanted to supply information on OCSO Star Charities and OLEBA, the Okaloosa Law Enforcement Benevolent Association. Donations can be specifically earmarked for the Myers family.
Both non-profit organizations have been set up to assist law enforcement personal and/or their families in times of need.
OCSO Sheriff’s Star is a licensed 501(c)(3) dedicated to assisting the employees of the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office with unplanned life changing events as a means of giving back to those that works so hard for us. The OCSO Sheriff’s Star Charities also provides assistance to both national and local charities as determined by our employees and board of directors.
YOU CAN MAKE A TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DOTATION TO OCSO STAR CHARITIES AND MAIL OR DELIVER TO:
50 2nd Street,
Shalimar, Florida 32579 (behind the Shalimar McDonalds)
You can also make a donation to the Okaloosa Law Enforcement Benevolent Association at any branch of Beach Community Bank or drop off at the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Administration Building at 50 2nd Street in Shalimar.
12038433_10153524932078654_5030494133956017102_n.jpg

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I am.in Miami this week and they have had this tragedy on the news several times and the donation info too. Way to go Sunshine State!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I am.in Miami this week and they have had this tragedy on the news several times and the donation info too. Way to go Sunshine State!

The gofundme site created for Deputy Meyers has raised over $17,000 in just a days time. It is amazing to see the outpouring of support from Florida Citizens and the beauty of it is, Deputy Meyers granddaughter will get her trip to Disney!

It may be Deputy Meyers EOW here on earth but what a great tribute that has been left in the wake of his death for his family!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
T.H. Merritt owner WZEP wrote the following and there is also an audio version on WZEP.

POINT BLANK | WZEP AM 1460

POINT BLANK
Commentary By: T.H. Merritt, News Director

A good man died Tuesday – a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a friend – a part of you and me.

Deputy Bill Myers of the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office was murdered by a coward who could not face him man to man. Shot multiple times in the back and in the head, it appears Deputy Myers was still able to draw his weapon before slipping into unconsciousness. And he didn’t die immediately. He fought, with every ounce of fortitude, to survive. For nearly six hours, he struggled to live and cling to life while surgeons tried heroically to save him from his mortal wounds that would have killed a lesser man instantly.

However, this mere mortal man was mortal. There has been only one who has conquered death…for now.

I never met Bill Myers but, I know him. He is the Policeman who lives down the street and keeps an eye on my kids at the bus stop. He is the cop I see at the Tom Thumb paying for the kid who didn’t have enough money to pay for his candy. He is the Trooper I see constantly looking up when helping a motorist on the Interstate. He is the Game Warden who checked my hunting license to make sure I followed game laws so there will be enough turkey and deer for my grandson. He is the Deputy who changed my tire so I wouldn’t hurt myself or ruin my suit. And, he is the cop who has to tell a man accused of beating his wife to stay the hell away from her until a judge can sort it out.

But, more than that, Bill Myers was portrait of all that is good about America. For over 26 years he studied, trained, certified, re-certified, performed and practiced what he preached. He lived his life before his fellow man with honor, courage and integrity.

He laughed, cried, told jokes, gave a firm handshake and looked you in the eye. He stayed up late, worked when he didn’t feel good, ate poorly, quickly or not at all. He took better care of others than himself because that’s what MOST cops do. He gave when there was no more to give. He bit his tongue when he wanted to tell a bad guy what you and I really think. He held his temper and brought to bear his many years of life experience that taught him the difference between ruining a kid’s life and giving him a second chance.

Bill Myers was a father of three sons. Yes, he was harder on them because he didn’t want them to end up like others and he also knew that this day might come when he would not be here for them. He was a husband. He loved his wife and he was always reminding her to be careful because he has seen the underbelly of society and, no matter how tough or brave he had to be, she was his rock.

Bill Myers was a friend. He wasn’t afraid to say hi, try to make you smile, make you feel special or lift your spirits. He was tough when he had to be but could bring calm to a crisis. He believed there were just some things that should never change like decency, kindness and respect.

People respected Bill Myers. Not because he made you but because he earned it. He was a man of his word. You could count on Bill Myers.

He was a grandfather, God’s way of giving a Dad a second chance. Yes, he retired but, a cop NEVER really retires. He needed something to “do.” He wasn’t ready to give up. He felt he still had something to give and wanted to feel useful. A little extra income allowed him to cherish time with being a grand “dad” again.

For over 25 years he has faced untold numbers of dangerous encounters and situations and lived to tell about it. But, deep in his heart, as all cops know, he knew this was always a possibility. Even more so today as he has witnessed the moral decay of American society over the past quarter century. Yet, he continued to hold the line because that is who he was. Bill Myers didn’t give his life. It was taken from him. After 25 years, it ended with a coward shooting him in the back because once he met Bill Myers, he knew he couldn’t take him man to man and evil could not look into the eyes of goodness, love, faith, courage and justice.

On this early Autumn day, whatever good and decent thing you enjoy in life, remember it is men and women like Bill Myers who protect it and stand between evil and you.

Treasure it. EARN IT.

May his memory be eternal.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
T.H. Merritt owner WZEP wrote the following and there is also an audio version on WZEP.

POINT BLANK | WZEP AM 1460

POINT BLANK
Commentary By: T.H. Merritt, News Director

A good man died Tuesday – a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a friend – a part of you and me.

Deputy Bill Myers of the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office was murdered by a coward who could not face him man to man. Shot multiple times in the back and in the head, it appears Deputy Myers was still able to draw his weapon before slipping into unconsciousness. And he didn’t die immediately. He fought, with every ounce of fortitude, to survive. For nearly six hours, he struggled to live and cling to life while surgeons tried heroically to save him from his mortal wounds that would have killed a lesser man instantly.

However, this mere mortal man was mortal. There has been only one who has conquered death…for now.

I never met Bill Myers but, I know him. He is the Policeman who lives down the street and keeps an eye on my kids at the bus stop. He is the cop I see at the Tom Thumb paying for the kid who didn’t have enough money to pay for his candy. He is the Trooper I see constantly looking up when helping a motorist on the Interstate. He is the Game Warden who checked my hunting license to make sure I followed game laws so there will be enough turkey and deer for my grandson. He is the Deputy who changed my tire so I wouldn’t hurt myself or ruin my suit. And, he is the cop who has to tell a man accused of beating his wife to stay the hell away from her until a judge can sort it out.

But, more than that, Bill Myers was portrait of all that is good about America. For over 26 years he studied, trained, certified, re-certified, performed and practiced what he preached. He lived his life before his fellow man with honor, courage and integrity.

He laughed, cried, told jokes, gave a firm handshake and looked you in the eye. He stayed up late, worked when he didn’t feel good, ate poorly, quickly or not at all. He took better care of others than himself because that’s what MOST cops do. He gave when there was no more to give. He bit his tongue when he wanted to tell a bad guy what you and I really think. He held his temper and brought to bear his many years of life experience that taught him the difference between ruining a kid’s life and giving him a second chance.

Bill Myers was a father of three sons. Yes, he was harder on them because he didn’t want them to end up like others and he also knew that this day might come when he would not be here for them. He was a husband. He loved his wife and he was always reminding her to be careful because he has seen the underbelly of society and, no matter how tough or brave he had to be, she was his rock.

Bill Myers was a friend. He wasn’t afraid to say hi, try to make you smile, make you feel special or lift your spirits. He was tough when he had to be but could bring calm to a crisis. He believed there were just some things that should never change like decency, kindness and respect.

People respected Bill Myers. Not because he made you but because he earned it. He was a man of his word. You could count on Bill Myers.

He was a grandfather, God’s way of giving a Dad a second chance. Yes, he retired but, a cop NEVER really retires. He needed something to “do.” He wasn’t ready to give up. He felt he still had something to give and wanted to feel useful. A little extra income allowed him to cherish time with being a grand “dad” again.

For over 25 years he has faced untold numbers of dangerous encounters and situations and lived to tell about it. But, deep in his heart, as all cops know, he knew this was always a possibility. Even more so today as he has witnessed the moral decay of American society over the past quarter century. Yet, he continued to hold the line because that is who he was. Bill Myers didn’t give his life. It was taken from him. After 25 years, it ended with a coward shooting him in the back because once he met Bill Myers, he knew he couldn’t take him man to man and evil could not look into the eyes of goodness, love, faith, courage and justice.

On this early Autumn day, whatever good and decent thing you enjoy in life, remember it is men and women like Bill Myers who protect it and stand between evil and you.

Treasure it. EARN IT.

May his memory be eternal.
This is phenomenal. Rest in peace Bill Myers and blessings to our local law enforcement and their families.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

PROCESSIONAL ROUTE FOR DEPUTY BILL MYERS MEMORIAL SERVICE

A motor vehicle procession will take place immediately following the conclusion of the September 28th Memorial Service for slain Okaloosa County Deputy Sheriff Bill Myers at Northwest Florida State College’s Raider Arena in Niceville. The 25 year veteran officer was murdered Tuesday in front of an attorney’s office in Shalimar while serving a domestic violence injunction.

The Memorial service begins at eleven a.m. and is open to the general public. The procession is scheduled to begin at one p.m. and will take the following route to The Boardwalk on Okaloosa Island:

Turn Left onto College Boulevard
Turn Right onto N. Palm Boulevard 0.7 Miles
Turn Right onto SR-285 (Partin Drive) 0.6 Miles
Turn Right onto SR 20 (John Sims Parkway) 1.4 Miles
Turn Right onto Highway 85 (Government Avenue) 12.1 Miles
Turn Left onto US Highway 98 (Miracle Strip Parkway) 1.3 Miles

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
12001068_10153776957547518_6634458733829355046_o.jpg

Local emergency responders offering support. Such a great community all along the coast...

South Walton Fire District message on fb today:
SWFD Engine Company special detailed to cover calls in Destin today so their firefighters can attend and support the funeral of slain Okaloosa County Sheriff's Deputy Bill Myers. Deputy Myers is the father of a Destin FD Lieutenant Shaun Myers.

We stand firm in the support of our fallen public safety brother and his family during this most difficult time.

12066061_10153776958157518_1022999969338599834_n.jpg