• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
You know, Misty, it is my tax dollars, too, and just maybe we can get more than three deputies at night in SoWal if we give a bit more. It is my opinion you are worrying about the wrong expenditure of MY tax dollars.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Does anyone know if the gym equipment was funded by the sheriff's office? I maintain its a legitimate expenditure for deputies and all law personnel, just as in other law and fire departments all over the world. But if anyone knows about how these things are funded, that could help clarify things.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
You know, Misty, it is my tax dollars, too, and just maybe we can get more than three deputies at night in SoWal if we give a bit more. It is my opinion you are worrying about the wrong expenditure of MY tax dollars.

Well perhaps Andy A., if we didn't purchase an armored vehicle which is sitting in storage the Sheriff could afford to put 3 more deputies in the South end....just a hunch.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'll ask the obvious question that, amazingly, was never brought up that I see. The whole thread is based on an assumption.

How does anybody know that the person on the bike didn't buy it himself?

Just sayin...

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
If he bought it himself, takes it to work and rides it on company time how is that better than the Sheriff outfitting and entire gym on the 2nd floor that off duty officers have access to?

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
You may feel better if you tell yourself that my tax dollars were spent on the fitness equipment while your tax dollars were spent on important stuff like defending the flying of a flag.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
You may feel better if you tell yourself that my tax dollars were spent on the fitness equipment while your tax dollars were spent on important stuff like defending the flying of a flag.

Actually, you can thank the Uhlfelder's for that debacle. My participation in it didn't cost a dime of taxpayer money. Anything I said or did was done right here on this forum, from my home computer, for FREE. :)

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I thought the armored vehicle was either free or ridiculously below actual value? I'm kind of glad it's in storage and not out burning tons of gas and becoming a maintenance nightmare.

I don't understand the call for additional deputies at night, other than 3 escaped convicts I can't remember another time there was a shortage of deputies. I just hope whomever is Sheriff in 6 years remembers it's time for escaped convict(s) to run around Walton county.

As for the gym I'm guessing it was furnished when the Sheriff's office was built. Which Sheriff was in office when that occurred?

Finally, didn't the Sheriff return money to the county last year? Any other constitutional officers do the same?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
As for the gym I'm guessing it was furnished when the Sheriff's office was built. Which Sheriff was in office when that occurred?

Danny Glidewell can probably answer that since he worked under Ralph Johnson.

Finally, didn't the Sheriff return money to the county last year? Any other constitutional officers do the same?

Did he? Do tell.

I just hope whomever is Sheriff in 6 years remembers it's time for escaped convict(s) to run around Walton county.

Well, we do have an armored vehicle...just in case they go on a mad rampage and barricade themselves somewhere. If memory serves, I just had that conversation with someone here....:blink:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm sorry I believe it was a recent BCC meeting? Something about auctioned vehicles. I'm responding and watching football with one eye.