• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Things have sure changed from the good old days Sunny 850. Remember when you could camp on the beach, fish all night and no one would even come around? The only problem back then was if you ran out of supplies you had to drive all the way back to Freeport to find an open store. Hard to believe that world existed only 30-40 years ago.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Copy and share this to your contacts

Let’s keep our right to use the beach
Contact the Commissioners-

Beach front property owners at Beach Highlands have claimed title to the beach and beach accesses at the Stallworth Walkover and Bullard/Highland access through a quiet title. As a result of this, or similar actions, South Walton Beaches are becoming closed to the public.
Walton County must protect the public’s right to use the beach through an ordinance declaring Customary Use of the beach and beach access by the public. Once an ordinance is in place the public will be allowed use of the beach, no matter who has title. It will be up to the property owners to challenge the county ordinance.
Contact ALL of the county commissioners and tell them to move forward with writing and adopting a Customary Use ordinance for the beach and beach accesses of Walton County.
Walton County Commissioners:
William "Bill" Chapman (R), District 1 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 835-4860
chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Cecilia Jones (R), District 2 CommissionerDistrict Office:
Office (850) 892-4020
joncecilia@co.walton.fl.us
Bill Imfeld (R), District 3 CommissionerDistrict Office:
Office (850) 892-8474
imfbill@co.walton.fl.us
Sara Comander (R), District 4 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 835-4834
comsara@co.walton.fl.us

Cindy Meadows(R), District 5 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 231-2978
meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

It was only
Copy and share this to your contacts

Let’s keep our right to use the beach
Contact the Commissioners-

Beach front property owners at Beach Highlands have claimed title to the beach and beach accesses at the Stallworth Walkover and Bullard/Highland access through a quiet title. As a result of this, or similar actions, South Walton Beaches are becoming closed to the public.
Walton County must protect the public’s right to use the beach through an ordinance declaring Customary Use of the beach and beach access by the public. Once an ordinance is in place the public will be allowed use of the beach, no matter who has title. It will be up to the property owners to challenge the county ordinance.
Contact ALL of the county commissioners and tell them to move forward with writing and adopting a Customary Use ordinance for the beach and beach accesses of Walton County.
Walton County Commissioners:
William "Bill" Chapman (R), District 1 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 835-4860
chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Cecilia Jones (R), District 2 CommissionerDistrict Office:
Office (850) 892-4020
joncecilia@co.walton.fl.us
Bill Imfeld (R), District 3 CommissionerDistrict Office:
Office (850) 892-8474
imfbill@co.walton.fl.us
Sara Comander (R), District 4 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 835-4834
comsara@co.walton.fl.us

Cindy Meadows(R), District 5 Commissioner
District Office:
Office (850) 231-2978
meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

It was only a matter of time, seeing that the Re-nourishment Failed, that someone would open Pandora's Box and now throw the "Customary Use" argument into the mix.

Soap Pedaler, I'm not picking on you, you are entitled to your opinion on this subject, but I just find it funny that with the failure of the county's attempt at taking away private property from beach front owners aka. Beach Re Nourishment, now comes plan two - Customary Use.

Bet ya, C. Jones is behind that push.

Yeah, yippie, for Private Property Rights!!! There will soon be NONE in South Walton.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
As an outsider who can only wish he was working his way toward "Local" status, I don't understand.
Can you expound a bit John?
I sense a lot of emotion and time involved with this subject. I'm kinda like Geo looking for someone to help dumb this down to how did we get here and where might this go so I understand the position of the two sides. I'd like to think I'm on the right one.

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
All this is depressing. I can't believe how the area is growing and getting even more crowded. Kind of makes me want to move to Wyoming.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
All this is depressing. I can't believe how the area is growing and getting even more crowded. Kind of makes me want to move to Wyoming.

Yes it is a bit depressing, but we better deal with it now before the situation gets any worse.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
As an outsider who can only wish he was working his way toward "Local" status, I don't understand.
Can you expound a bit John?
I sense a lot of emotion and time involved with this subject. I'm kinda like Geo looking for someone to help dumb this down to how did we get here and where might this go so I understand the position of the two sides. I'd like to think I'm on the right one.

Look no further than Commissioner C. Jones and the South Walton Small Business Association.

Both BIG fans and supporters of the beach vendors and both have provided the talking points to them.

I am amazed at just how many vendors were knowingly allow to continue to operate through all of last season, without proper permits.

Looks as if a few have been chases off this year but I'm sure the " enforcement " part of that will continue to be a bit slow until more people speak up.

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
My neighbor told me that a sheriff deputy was called to the Beachhighland access on Friday because a man and 2 children were sitting on the Beach at Stallworth. Spring break hasn't even started. Will the deputies be tied up all season running people off the beach instead watching neighborhoods for "real" crime like burglary and assault?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Probably, as many will complain about the lack of enforcement on the beach on the one hand and the lack of patrolling for real crime on the other. Some even say that the WCSO may be over staffed to a similar sized county in Alabama and maybe top heavy to boot.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Probably, as many will complain about the lack of enforcement on the beach on the one hand and the lack of patrolling for real crime on the other. Some even say that the WCSO may be over staffed to a similar sized county in Alabama and maybe top heavy to boot.

But your original comment was a dig huh Bob Wells?

Yes, I did say that the WCSO is top heavy, if you disagree please present your facts that prove otherwise.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Look no further than Commissioner C. Jones and the South Walton Small Business Association.

Both BIG fans and supporters of the beach vendors and both have provided the talking points to them.

I am amazed at just how many vendors were knowingly allow to continue to operate through all of last season, without proper permits.

Looks as if a few have been chases off this year but I'm sure the " enforcement " part of that will continue to be a bit slow until more people speak up.

Email reply from C.Meadows:

Thank you for your input on this. This is an ongoing issue that will be resolved only with the consensus of the BCC and at this time we do not have a consensus on how to address vendors.

Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2016 3:07 PM
To: Cindy Meadows
Subject: From Sowal vendor haters

New

Here's another idea.
Don't allow ANY vendors on OUR beaches.
If people want chairs and umbrellas set up for them they should be at a resort.