• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I will be selling "FREE SOWAL" T shirts at all of the main beach accesses. They are $29.99 (isn't everything on 30a?) and the proceeds go to my "Cuba Rum and Cigar Exploration Society" . I take everything but Discover.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Kurt has more than enough "eyes" on this board that if a post needs his attention the moderators will definitely make sure he sees it.

Like Teresa said...our beaches are a tourist destination and anyone who bought property here knew that going in when they signed on the dotted line. If you want so much privacy that people aren't even free to traverse the sand, you bought property in the wrong place! Find yourselves a deserted island somewhere....according to Google there are hundreds available for sale or rent worldwide.

gilligans-island-pre.jpg

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
But the beach signs, fences and ropes are hideous, dangerous and awful.

It seems to me that you use a very large paint brush when portraying the current state of the beach. Sure there are a few areas where the owners have gotten carried away with ropes, chains and fences. I'm not necessarily agreeing with their actions but I can certainly understand why. BTW, the signs are necessary in some locations considering the current state of affairs.

On the other hand, you then post a beautiful aerial of the beach where I see no evidence of the above.

Is it really that bad out there or do customary use people just try to grab on to negative imagery which, in their minds, propel their cause?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't think the Turtle watch folks are trying to propel their cause with negative imagery, I think they are more interested in protecting sea life and marine habitat by posting images of idiot stuff people leave on the beach. They walk those beaches everyday....you can't make this stuff up!

13325477_1313209895359035_5775094676949744236_n.jpg

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
There is only one way to put up sand fence, the rules are plain, it is never to be used out of the dune area, or parallel to the beach or closer to 10 feet apart at an angle in sections only 7 feet long. Please check with FWCC to get the rules and also you can't put it up in sea turtle nesting season.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The disease of signs/fences/ropes is just starting to spread. We still have miles of beautiful stretches of beaches not yet infected. These are the cherished scenes of South Walton. I hope they can be preserved. If not then soon we'll have to look at vintage SoWal photos to remember what we had.

The beach chair setups are immensely preferable to unwelcome signs and fences up and down the beach. Though setups are out of control.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016