• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Was enjoying the beach with family visiting from out of state at Stallworth. Had a nice spot by the lake. Lots of paddlers using the lake to meander to the beach then some nitwit opens up the lake so his kids could have 15 minutes of fun rafting to the gulf. Not only did it drain the long part of Stallworth where it meanders to the beach so the paddlers couldn’t get back to the lake without walking their kayaks and canoes it also deprived a quiet safe place for children to swim. When confronted by one of the paddlers the man denied doing it (even though there were witnesses). I understand the temptation and how some have posted fond memories from years gone by but the lakes are under an enormous amount of stress now and I thought federally protected too. I did notice too that Oyster Lake is low. Is it due to tourists opening the outflow? I know there has always been a natural intake and outtake that’s what makes our lakes so special but how much damage will this do to our beautiful lakes in the long term? It doesn’t seem to be an isolated occurrence any more.
Was the Stallworth opening in the last few days? Oyster Lake opened naturally (as best anyone could tell) in late June.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
It's almost like someone built giant homes around the lakes and now it's causing problems...

I agree with your sentiment.....you can't make this stuff up. Preservation of the lakes by those who have built or bought next to them is obviously a deeply-held civic duty that must be duly enforced by said owners......once they have finished adjusting the balance of Nature to make way for their piece of Paradise. Since protection of one's property rights via placement of signs, ropes, walls, or what-have-you is the fad of the times, I wonder how those doing the protecting will enforce any air rights or mineral rights on their property.....I envision 40'-high driving-range fences to cover the air rights, but I'm at a loss as to how to block those pesky mineral scavengers.

The level of ridiculousness of the issues some find "important" is mind-numbing......the clown in me doesn't know whether to laugh hysterically, or cry uncontrollably. sheesh

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Nobody south of the bay owns their mineral rights as those were retained by the BLM.

In regards to Oyster Lake, this is what happens when we try to "correct" or "control" them. The outfalls is forced through a man made chute of sorts to satisfy the whims of a nonresident 2nd homeowner.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Nobody south of the bay owns their mineral rights as those were retained by the BLM.

In regards to Oyster Lake, this is what happens when we try to "correct" or "control" them. The outfalls is forced through a man made chute of sorts to satisfy the whims of a nonresident 2nd homeowner.
I think Oyster Lake has been forced through a man made chute of sorts ever since 30A was built. Weren't there culverts under 30A?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think Oyster Lake has been forced through a man made chute of sorts ever since 30A was built. Weren't there culverts under 30A?

Yes and terminated at the southern edge of 30A. During the crooked bridge construction they installed walls to direct the outfall directly south. You can see the tops when you drive by or from the beach.

Rainlr

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2016
Was the Stallworth opening in the last few days? Oyster Lake opened naturally (as best anyone could tell) in late June.

Stallworth hasn’t opened up for a while. There were witnesses even though the guy denied it. Last year some college kids opened it up got caught and a deputy sheriff stood watch while they filled the break back in. Someone called the county this time not sure the outcome.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
image.jpeg
Enough fun, now here is my serious take on kids digging out the outflows: First of all, if it's capable of being dug out by a bunch of kids, that outflow was probably 48 hours or less from busting out by itself. In mother nature years, that is an infinitesimally small amount of time. Second of all, it doesn't harm the lake. It's a Coastal Dune Lake, for crissakes! it's suppose to break out! And three, it's a gorgeous event for a kid to be able to see, and remember for the rest of his life.

My point/complaint on it being "dug" out was that it created an entirely different flow than the natural one that had been calmly, naturally occurring over the prior week; it collapsed the isthmus and turned the peaceful "lazy river" type outflow (which was on some days an "inflow" from the Gulf) with a strong, swift Gulfbound current on a very soft and unstable bottom and into a red flag Gulf. Yes, my own kids enjoyed riding their boards on it more, but I had to be very close to them and not take my eyes off of them instead of relaxing in my chair as when they played in the calm, safe harbor of the prior days. And I assumed from the same signs you mentioned above that it wasn't supposed to be opened by humans...

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014

Just Drove by there today at lunch.

Seems water is very low and significant erosion along the banks near bridge.

Orange cones out and visible damage.

Sure no one dug it out?

I was told that someone did, thus my starting the post.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
So, am I getting the gist of this thread, that everyone would rather that this lake not break-out anymore? Obviously the county didn't build the right bridge for that situation. I guess it will become a Panama City Beach style lake. What a shame.