• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The bay fill (or as commonly referred to now, the causeways) was dredged and secured in 1939. The drawbridge was completed later. My grandfather was the captain of the dredgeboat crew responsible for construction of the Intracoastal in 1936 and later the bay fill. His oldest daughter was my mother, who met a certain boy in Point Washington during the first stay and became engaged to him during the second stay. Years later, my mom's sister married Grayton Beach's most eligible batchelor. In case you wonder why I jump in whenever historical stuff is mentioned, that's why. :)

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Oh and the drawbridge was hit/bumped many times. I was on the bridge during two of those bumps (clean pants required afterward). But only twice was it sent plummeting into the bay. First time we got an old charter boat for a passenger ferry, primarily to get schoolchildren to Freeport. But if you had business to regularly conduct north of the bay, you simply put a spare car on the north side. The second time was a car ferry. 28 years ago. No way could there be a feasible way to handle as much traffic as crosses the bridge now.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
U.S. 331 Opens from Choctawhatchee Relief Bay Bridge to State Road 20

The U.S. 331 widening project between the Choctawhatchee Relief Bay Bridge and State Road 20 in Walton County will reach a milestone on Wednesday, July 6 when all four lanes of traffic will be open to drivers.

Work to widen 4.6 miles of the roadway from two to four lanes began fall 2012 and is scheduled to be complete late summer 2016. Motorists can expect intermittent lane closures as crews complete punch list items.

Construction activities are weather dependent and may be delayed or rescheduled in the event of inclement weather. Motorists are reminded to pay attention to the speed limit when traveling through the construction area and to use caution when driving in the work zones.

For more information, follow the Florida Department of Transportation District Three on Twitter @myfdot_nwfl or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MyFDOTNWFL. For information on the project, like us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/UsHighway331.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
How is the flow of traffic since this construction has been completed? We don't come that way anymore because of the slow movement through there just to get to 98. And going back home on 331 on a Saturday took forever to get through. Was a massive backup of cars leaving PC Beach and 30A at the same time the last time we were on it. Was backed up down PC Beach Parkway toward Panama City Beach just to turn onto 331. Where we stay now we come in Hwy 79.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
How is the flow of traffic since this construction has been completed? We don't come that way anymore because of the slow movement through there just to get to 98. And going back home on 331 on a Saturday took forever to get through. Was a massive backup of cars leaving PC Beach and 30A at the same time the last time we were on it. Was backed up down PC Beach Parkway toward Panama City Beach just to turn onto 331. Where we stay now we come in Hwy 79.
Avoid at all cost Saturday mornings north and afternoons south.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Otherwise with the opening of 4 lanes from the bridge to 20 speeds things up nicely. I usually budgeted about an hour of time to get to Defuniak and made it in about 40 minutes yesterday.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Otherwise with the opening of 4 lanes from the bridge to 20 speeds things up nicely. I usually budgeted about an hour of time to get to Defuniak and made it in about 40 minutes yesterday.
So that's you holding me up headed north...LOL....south of 30A to florala always 60 minutes +/- Monday-Friday..... Defuniak around 30+/-

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I drove 331 North at about 4:30 am Wednesday morning, and wondered why only one lane was still open in each direction as it all appeared to be complete, but by the time I left Thursday afternoon around 1:30 pm, all lanes between the bridge and 20 were open and it was much better.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I drove 331 North at about 4:30 am Wednesday morning, and wondered why only one lane was still open in each direction as it all appeared to be complete, but by the time I left Thursday afternoon around 1:30 pm, all lanes between the bridge and 20 were open and it was much better.
It has Looked finished for last 6 months