• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Is name recognition a plus?
Definitely it is. Like I pointed out 5 of the races where the winner did not raise the most money were won by an incumbent. Incumbents have name recognition and that helps. Only one incumbent raised the most money and lost. Bob Hudson was running for an open seat and he and Mr. Osborne split the south vote. Plus the difference in money raised was not that substantial. Another factor you find is that often people win in their 2nd attempt which would also indicate that name recognition is important.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Definitely it is. Like I pointed out 5 of the races where the winner did not raise the most money were won by an incumbent. Incumbents have name recognition and that helps. Only one incumbent raised the most money and lost. Bob Hudson was running for an open seat and he and Mr. Osborne split the south vote. Plus the difference in money raised was not that substantial. Another factor you find is that often people win in their 2nd attempt which would also indicate that name recognition is important.

That being said, the District 1, 3, 5 races will still be interesting. Commissioner Imfeld has both name recognition and is the incumbent. Ms Nipper recieved some help from Our Generation but it could be viewed negatively because people don'the know who they are. Mr Dixon seems like a pretty good guy but lacks recognition. Other than what some on this board have posted really haven't heard that much negative about him. Commissioner Chapman same thing, but he has Mr Fletcher and Mr Kramer who have some name recognition and really aren't doing terrible with the money. Not sure how the Our Generation ads will effect that race my guess it could be a negative. Had I not already decided on Mr Fletcher I might have taken more time because of the Our Generation ad. The D5 race will be the most interesting because of money and the Commissioner Jones involvement. Whether you like her or not, she has won 2 elections and her detractors have been saying negative stuff about her for years. I don't think that hurt Mr Anderson and she seems to know who to introduce him to. Commissioner Meadows seems to be well liked except by those who would find Mr Anderson and give him over 100k for his campaign.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I agree with your analysis Bob Wells but would point out that Ms. Meadows is 2 for 2 in county elections and in each case had less money than her opponent. One of those opponents was Ms. Jones. The odd thing is how little interest there has been in the Superintendent's race. That position, along with the Sheriff and the Clerk of Courts are the most powerful in county government and the incumbent is not in the race. You would think there would be more interest, especially since the other 2 or unopposed.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The D5 race will be the most interesting because of money and the Commissioner Jones involvement. Whether you like her or not, she has won 2 elections and her detractors have been saying negative stuff about her for years. I don't think that hurt Mr Anderson and she seems to know who to introduce him to. Commissioner Meadows seems to be well liked except by those who would find Mr Anderson and give him over 100k for his campaign.

FACt; She did not and will not win back to back elections.

FACT; She is the SWITCH Candidate. She switches her residences like we switch underwear.

FACT; Yes, people have been saying negative stuff about her for years actually, they whispered it for years because everyone feared the wrath of the goon if it was said out loud.

FACT; Yes, Ms. Jones assuredly knows who to introduce T. Anderson too and BOTH their campaign contributions reflect that! If Lloyd put his money where his mouth is...what are the chances he could get elected?

FACT; Ms. Jones pandered votes from unsuspecting folks down south (some new to SoWal) that had NO CLUE who she was which helped her the last go round. Today people are more keenly aware of the players and the politicos than they were last time.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Just for fun (nothing that could be construed as accurate statistically speaking) I looked at C. Jones face book page (not an accurate indicator of actual friends) and she has 3 different pages which contain duplicate friends.

@Danny Glidewell has 2 pages which also have duplicate friends. Again, not an accurate indicator...just for fun.

Of those C. Jones has 1176 total "friends" (don't have the time or inclination to weed out duplicates)

@Danny Glidewell has 2038 "friends" (don't have the time or inclination to weed out duplicates.)

In total Danny has close to 900 more friends! If this were a popularity contest who would you think would be the next County Commissioner in his district?

:p:p

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I agree with your analysis Bob Wells but would point out that Ms. Meadows is 2 for 2 in county elections and in each case had less money than her opponent. One of those opponents was Ms. Jones. The odd thing is how little interest there has been in the Superintendent's race. That position, along with the Sheriff and the Clerk of Courts are the most powerful in county government and the incumbent is not in the race. You would think there would be more interest, especially since the other 2 or unopposed.
Let me ask, did Commissioner Meadows decide not to run the year Commissioner Jone ran for D5 because she didn't think she could win or just had other interest? I ask because I don't know. As for Superintendent race people might like the way are schools are run and 3 candidates with experience in the system are running. I also feel based on some interactions i have had think the school board members is a free job with very little responsibility and seems to be a rubber stamp for the Superintendent. Back to the year that Commissioner Jones was D5 she ran against Mr Hudson and Mr Osbourne, problem was they split the vote and not sure if either would have won if one had dropped out. Mr Osbourne appeared to be the axe grind vote because of the situation in Driftwood. Mr Hudson on the other hand was the association with the WCTA IMO. Sometimes history repeats itself and D3 may have that candidate.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL