• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
Paula, I use VRBO the same way as you. I do not have online payments turned on so the renters contact me by phone or email and then I forward them to our rental agency. This process eliminates the new VRBO fee. I have a gold subscription but our house has fallen towards the bottom of the list for Magnolia Cottages despite being well reviewed. I only have 2 open weeks left for the summer so I can't complain about inquiries. That being said, I will probably switch to bronze level since the gold level doesn't appear to be giving me any benefit. I just hope vrbo doesn't force owners to use the online payment system; that could be a game changer.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Hi Ohio Girl! I have noticed no difference between gold or bronze services on VRBO in terms of rankings. Right now rentals in SoWal are booming so that has helped regardless of where a listing is ranked on VRBO. I'm booked for the summer already at both cottages and spring is pretty well booked too. Yes, it will be a game changer if VRBO makes owners use their payment services or adds additional fees if they don't. I'd be happy to hear of other alternative online rental sites that work well. My bronze listing this year that I renewed a few weeks ago cost the same as last year - so far, so good. I think it will be increasingly important to depend on word of mouth for rentals. Many renters prefer particular communities, especially if they've had a good experience at the community and in the rental, so it pays (and is just the right thing to do) to keep the rentals in great shape and maintain great relationships with the renters. Over time, the repeat guests start feeling a bit like friends and family and they treat and experience the cottages like their home away from home. You and I have places in great communities - laid back, a bit off the beaten track, away from traffic, near very nice beach. Just wish our paths would cross sometime!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Been getting about 250 rent request per year since 2012..since Feb.18 ( date service fees started) had 3. This season will be a bust..lost $1268.00 in VRBO charges...the one one renter I got I deducted the fee and sent guess an invoice via
PayPal. Will continue this. My headline now reads NoFees. If your on Twitter follow @vrbknow
national anti vrbo group #classactionlawsuit coming.

gasparilla

Beach Comber
Sep 27, 2015
I have just signed up for a listing site that is a VRBO alternative....VacationHomeRentals.com. They are owned by TripAdvisor but unlike FlipKey, are only a subscription site. The nice thing is that if you sign up for VHR, you will also be listed on FK....two for the price of one! They are now running a 60 day free trial offer....so what is there to lose? Sign up and try it....you may get enough new inquiries that you will be able to fire VRBO.
Hi I'm wondering how things are turning out with your alternate to VRBO, ... VHR? Any luck with inquiries, bookings ? Thanks for any input

A.Jury

Beach Comber
Aug 31, 2016
Florida
I thought VRBO was a listing service, not a vacation rental business with customer support during your stay. Are they changing their business model?

Also, owners and vacation companies pay fees to LIST with VRBO and this is their revenue source. So, now they are also charging the renters so now they get paid for LISTING the property, and then RENTING the property. I can see them getting a fee for actual rental of the property but sounds steep to me.

RENTERS need to do their homework and go directly to a reputable and established Vacation Rental company to book - we have many great companies in South Walton, Destin, PCB and their websites are usually quite good with rental properties by area, photos and video, info, etc.. As for the owners who manage their own properties, I don't know what their best options will be. But everyone is getting screwed by this deal, especially the renter. Owners are screwed too because many people (potentia renters) will not want to pay that additional fee to VRBO..

RENTERS DONT NEED TO BOOK WITH A RENTAL AGENCY! NOT ALL VRBO'S TAKE CREDIT CARDS!! WE DO NOT HAVE A FEE ON OURS AS WE DONT TAKE CREDIT CARD BUT WE DO HAVE A MANAGEMEBT COMPANY & THEY TAKE CC WITHOUT AN ADDED FEE. WE GET RENTERS INFO & PASS IT ON TO RENTAL COMPANY WHO TAKES THE CC.

I still get around this by only taking checks. Only had pushback from a couple of people. Once I explain VRBO's new fee and the 5% more I'd charge for taking credit cards they understand. Also, if I elect to start taking CC's and allowing VRBO to collect their fee, will they be dealing with maintenance headaches, light bulb replacement, TV Remote issues, Coffee Maker issues? Just askin'.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I still get around this by only taking checks. Only had pushback from a couple of people. Once I explain VRBO's new fee and the 5% more I'd charge for taking credit cards they understand. Also, if I elect to start taking CC's and allowing VRBO to collect their fee, will they be dealing with maintenance headaches, light bulb replacement, TV Remote issues, Coffee Maker issues? Just askin'.
You can send invoices through paypal also. Would that avoid the fee?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
RENTERS DONT NEED TO BOOK WITH A RENTAL AGENCY! NOT ALL VRBO'S TAKE CREDIT CARDS!! WE DO NOT HAVE A FEE ON OURS AS WE DONT TAKE CREDIT CARD BUT WE DO HAVE A MANAGEMEBT COMPANY & THEY TAKE CC WITHOUT AN ADDED FEE. WE GET RENTERS INFO & PASS IT ON TO RENTAL COMPANY WHO TAKES THE CC.
ALL MANAGEMENT COMPANIES CHARGE A FEE