• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Exactly.

And he misses the point anyway. It's all about greedy people who don't want anyone on "their" beach. Damn, what has SoWal become.

m1a1mg,

It is you who misses the point. There are competing points of view. One side, those you term “greedy”, have deeded ownership of their private beach property to either the ECL or the MHWL, ownership which they legally acquired by purchase under the laws of this state and nation. There is no law governing this property which provides the public the right to trespass on this private land.

The folks who do own that land, just as you in your situation, quite legally have every right under the Constitutions and laws of the United States and Florida to enjoy their homes and land, be it beach or other, free of trespassers. And there are laws defining trespass, be it your property or mine. It is entirely possible that some, if not in fact many, of those beachfront owners think it is you and those asserting there to be a communal right not recognized by existing law as the greedy ones.

You want something you have not purchased, on which you pay no taxes or insurance, and for which you bear no burden for maintenance or liability, among others. You think you should be able to take it because you want it, you think everyone should accept your supposedly superior moral position, and you propose to do so without following the laws governing such takings.

Were you subjected to the threat of theft of your land and your rights under the law in similar fashion, I suspect you’d be inclined to object, too. It all depends on whose ox is being gored, after all, doesn’t it?

Or does it? As a beachfront owner, I’d object just as vigorously were your rights threatened as mine have been. You have every right to equal protection under the law, and so do I and every other citizen, beachfront or not. In our present dystopia, that’s unfortunately not how the system works, but in my view, that dystopia makes it even more incumbent on each of us to act to protect everyone from the evil that inheres in the power of government as it increasingly accrues power and rights that properly belong to us as citizens.

If you’re capable of introspection, I recommend a large dose multiple times a day.
This can be defused SO easily..home owner MUST be able to show you a current (Yearly)property Survey.. If he has it and you are in his sand thank him and move..If he doesn't or can't or will not then you are in the right to sit where ever...this is the law....

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Exactly.

And he misses the point anyway. It's all about greedy people who don't want anyone on "their" beach. Damn, what has SoWal become.

m1a1mg,

It is you who misses the point. There are competing points of view. One side, those you term “greedy”, have deeded ownership of their private beach property to either the ECL or the MHWL, ownership which they legally acquired by purchase under the laws of this state and nation. There is no law governing this property which provides the public the right to trespass on this private land.

The folks who do own that land, just as you in your situation, quite legally have every right under the Constitutions and laws of the United States and Florida to enjoy their homes and land, be it beach or other, free of trespassers. And there are laws defining trespass, be it your property or mine. It is entirely possible that some, if not in fact many, of those beachfront owners think it is you and those asserting there to be a communal right not recognized by existing law as the greedy ones.

You want something you have not purchased, on which you pay no taxes or insurance, and for which you bear no burden for maintenance or liability, among others. You think you should be able to take it because you want it, you think everyone should accept your supposedly superior moral position, and you propose to do so without following the laws governing such takings.

Were you subjected to the threat of theft of your land and your rights under the law in similar fashion, I suspect you’d be inclined to object, too. It all depends on whose ox is being gored, after all, doesn’t it?

Or does it? As a beachfront owner, I’d object just as vigorously were your rights threatened as mine have been. You have every right to equal protection under the law, and so do I and every other citizen, beachfront or not. In our present dystopia, that’s unfortunately not how the system works, but in my view, that dystopia makes it even more incumbent on each of us to act to protect everyone from the evil that inheres in the power of government as it increasingly accrues power and rights that properly belong to us as citizens.

If you’re capable of introspection, I recommend a large dose multiple times a day.

Your greed disgusts me. I hope you are happy enjoying your piece of paradise and keeping others from it.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
I also love Charleston. Have family in Mt. Pleasant & Hollywood. The food is amazing, but the beaches are horrible. Isle of Palms has dark water and dark sand. It gets so hot in Charleston during the summer that you literally can't go out. We thought about selling our Grayton property and buy in Charleston, but after spending some time there we just couldn't part with the beautiful beaches and gulf of mexico. Also, doesn't hurt to be so close to NOLA!

I tracked weather this summer with a friend in SRB using daily "feels like" temps. SRB is almost always 2-4 degrees warmer. I'll agree that it feels hotter in Charleston though. Maybe it's having more built up areas.

We'll buy a condo in SRB in 2-3 years. Just other priorities right now.

Last edited:

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
So you approve.

Mike, you must not have read the post from yesterday 9/6/2016 1:12PM.
Like prescriptive easements property owners have an incentive to dispute use of private property to invalidate custom claims. I didn't make the law.
I think it unreasonable for any non-title holder to claim use or ownership of private property by adverse possession.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Mike, you must not have read the post from yesterday 9/6/2016 1:12PM.
Like prescriptive easements property owners have an incentive to dispute use of private property to invalidate custom claims. I didn't make the law.
I think it unreasonable for any non-title holder to claim use or ownership of private property by adverse possession.
You sound like a lawyer. Do you approve of the guy in the video?

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
You sound like a lawyer. Do you approve of the guy in the video?
Nope not a lawyer. Just an informed supporter of the Constitution and property rights.
Unsure which "guy" you are referring to. But, we don't know what preceded the video so do you know all the facts? I stated how I thought both parties should have handled the owners request in the previous post.

Mike, do yo approve of the uninvited persons on private property and the way they handle it once the video started?

There are over 6 miles of Walton public beaches and over 5,000 acres of parks with parking, restrooms, and camping. Why could these persons not go there and respect the owner’s property rights?

Last edited:

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
There are over 6 miles of Walton public beaches and over 5,000 acres of parks with parking, restrooms, and camping. Why could these persons not go there and respect the owner’s property rights?

Like many, I am not a beachfront property owner. We use the closest public access. In the peak season, things can get very crowded, especially with all the unoccupied vendor setups. So, for years, folks have set up to the sides of the public accesses where there is some free space. It's not been a problem until recently.