• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I still get around this by only taking checks. Only had pushback from a couple of people. Once I explain VRBO's new fee and the 5% more I'd charge for taking credit cards they understand. Also, if I elect to start taking CC's and allowing VRBO to collect their fee, will they be dealing with maintenance headaches, light bulb replacement, TV Remote issues, Coffee Maker issues? Just askin'.
I use PayPal. Who changes your bulbs now and coffee maker problems?
Vrbo wouldn't change that.

If not paypal then might be worth setting up your own CC merchant account and accepting CC payments directly.

I should. We have missed a few last minute bookings due to not accepting credit cards but only a couple over 5 years. One of my vendors invoices me and we issue her a direct deposit from our checking account. Prolly should look into that too. I'm too busy in my real job so screw with it.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I noticed that fee added to our instant quote this year for our place we always rent but when we reserved it and paid the two payments that was not added to what we paid. The owner told us VRBO doesn't actually charge it.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Yes it's added worldwide with Vrbo. Your rental payment breaks down:
Rent rate say $2000.00
Cleaning say $170.00
Taxes say. $200.00
Service fee (variable ) $200.00
Insurance deposit $59.00)
You owe the total
Owner gets everything less service fee and insurance deposit.
I offer renters a rate less service fee and insurance if they pay on PayPal.
Everyone wins except VRBO

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Yes it's added worldwide with Vrbo. Your rental payment breaks down:
Rent rate say $2000.00
Cleaning say $170.00
Taxes say. $200.00
Service fee (variable ) $200.00
Insurance deposit $59.00)
You owe the total
Owner gets everything less service fee and insurance deposit.
I offer renters a rate less service fee and insurance if they pay on PayPal.
Everyone wins except VRBO

I definitely did not pay the VRBO service fee so my payment must be somehow going directly through to the person I rent from. I get some kind of invoice from her.

Beachy Girl

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
www.kismetcottage.com
I give the renter the option to pay by check or pay pal and we avoid the fees. It won't be long though before they force everyone to take their payments. Secondly, if you do have use vrbo payments, they have 2 options for your credit card transactions: get your money when the guest is paid or when the guest checks in. They set you up in the second option and you have to call them to get approval to get your reimbursement when the credit card is processed for the first deposit. The second deposit is paid when the guest checks in.

A.Jury

Beach Comber
Aug 31, 2016
Florida
To all you u VRBO owners....please join the Facebook group SAY NO TO VRBO SERVICE FEE......lots of great info