• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Poppaj you are so good at connecting dots in a simple square box. Those pictures do not represent anything but ignorance. People standing next to the KKK holding Confederate Flags only represent themselves. Without more information you will never know what they really represent. Oh sure, you can assume away. Go ahead and keep trolling these pictures around like it proves some point for you about the Confederate Flag if it makes you feel better for African American minorities. However might I suggest you clean around your own back yard. What have you done to promote minority inclusion in your own community? If it is nothing then I understand why you hang on to your box. It is called distraction from reality. If you read ALL history you will find racism, white supremacy and racial intolerance existed in the North, East, West and South. I quoted your hero Abraham Lincoln earlier in this thread, did you read it? The founders of this great country were racist just as Lincoln, Grant and Sherman. Lincoln and Sherman allowed the rape of white and black women in the South. Grant owned slaves longer than Lee and Jackson. If you want to talk lynchings, burning at the stake, hangings and genocide do you also need to believe that this only happened in the South? You trash Southern Heritage (including the Confederate Flag) just as those people in your pictures. Both of you must have a very small box from which to think. I want to believe that people can be more inclusive, sensitive to others and be proud of their heritage all at the same time. If you are going to post pictures of hate groups and connect dots then that is what you do. I am not going to change your mind. Of course the can of worms in that way of thinking is that you should also be willing to look around your own back door to measure your sensitivity to African Americans, Native Americans, Women and any other groups of people who have been severely oppressed by white men. Otherwise it is just a box with nothing in it.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
December 12th 2017

Very powerful and information filled meeting in SoWal tonight.

If you didn't attend or view on-line, you need to watch and hear all the opinions made by community members at the two different times during the meeting.

Powerful on both sides.

Looks as if Can was kicked by BCC regardless of your views.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
The BCC actually voted to put this on the General Election Ballot 2018 and let the people decide. The majority spoke last time this issue came up and the upstarts in Sowal didn't get their way, one flag came down another went up. They didn't like that.

So now, the people of Walton County will decide and they don't like that either. They are of the opinion that the BCC can dictate how things are going to be and we have untold problems with the BCC because of that way of thinking.

I think if this had been placed on the ballot the last time we wouldn't be revisiting it now!

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
BTW Cecilia Jones...NICE representation of YOUR DISTRICT on the flag issue!

You know the majority of your constituents want that flag left ALONE and you ducked out the first time this came before the board for a vote and tonight you passed the buck!!!

If your constituents have no other reason to vote you OUT other than the fact that you have repeatedly failed to represent your district, this is certainly the BEST ONE I can think of!!

P.S. Ursula, this is a NORTH WALTON issue and should have been heard in North Walton!

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
December 12th 2017

Very powerful and information filled meeting in SoWal tonight.

If you didn't attend or view on-line, you need to watch and hear all the opinions made by community members at the two different times during the meeting.

Powerful on both sides.

Looks as if Can was kicked by BCC regardless of your views.
The gentleman that spoke during the public comments at the end of the meeting on how the flag came to be erected at the courthouse was especially impactful. His comments were different than anything I'd heard at previous meetings on this topic.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
The gentleman that spoke during the public comments at the end of the meeting on how the flag came to be erected at the courthouse was especially impactful. His comments were different than anything I'd heard at previous meetings on this topic.

Eloquent speaker.

I do however think its very presumptuous of someone to assume how that flag came to be erected on the Courthouse lawn in 1964. Those Commissioners are long since dead and dead men tell no tales.

There is absolutely nothing in the Walton County Archives where a discussion was held as why those Commissioners voted as they did but there are ALLOT of ASSUMPTIONS as to why. The timing of it could simply have been coincidence and it could just be as local historians claim that it was to honor Walton Counties history and civil war dead.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Eloquent speaker.

I do however think its very presumptuous of someone to assume how that flag came to be erected on the Courthouse lawn in 1964. Those Commissioners are long since dead and dead men tell no tales.

There is absolutely nothing in the Walton County Archives where a discussion was held as why those Commissioners voted as they did but there are ALLOT of ASSUMPTIONS as to why. The timing of it could simply have been coincidence and it could just be as local historians claim that it was to honor Walton Counties history and civil war dead.

True enough. Seems odd that there were no "minutes" or anything other than the vote, but I didn't interpret that the speaker was necessarily saying that those were the reasons the Board erected the flag, but rather that those were events taking place at that time. Perhaps the Board voted to erect the flag for reasons totally pure and honorable, but the "climate" at that time was certainly coincidental.