• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Hopefully we will be celebrating the same thing in Walton County before too long.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Hopefully we will be celebrating the same thing in Walton County before too long.

I think we will. Hope it's not too late.. The Oregon governor was ahead of his time when he declared all beaches open to everyone. Many other places also have beaches open to the public, including all of Florida, but with certain restrictions and also with Walton County as an exception now. Oregon did it right. The coast is a treasure that is for the benefit of everyone

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
We just got back from a trip to the Oregon Coast and I can assure everyone it is spectacular and open to the public. This area should be on everyone's bucket list! Hwy 101 is spectacular and there are a couple of roads called bike trails that are one-way we found by accident and next time we will walk them because it is unbelievable in diverse coastline from sandy beaches to rocky shoreline to dunes that are more like small mountains. The land there is mostly controlled by the State and Federal governments and not sure but it looks to have very conservative City and County governments. There are small communities that dot the coastline that have not changed much even since Hwy 101 was built. It is amazing how they have somehow refused almost any kind of development. The people who live there are economically depressed as the only industry really is logging and very limited tourism as the season is short. Trump signs are everywhere. The small communities look to have small summer homes mixed with low income housing. We drove from Cannon Beach to Coos Bay and it the economy was very similar the whole way. There were very few homes built for views of the ocean but those that do exist are not huge multilevel concrete structures that block the views of the ocean. The Oregon coast provides a sharp contrast in economic structure when compared to most other State Coastlines that I have visited. They have over fished the waters so that industry is almost non-existent leaving logging as the primary driving economic force. Many mountains have bald spots from round clear cuts that dotted almost every mountain on the east side of Hwy 101. The locals that drive along Hwy 101 are not that welcoming to visitors as we drove just under the speed limit to take in the views but were constantly being scolded by horns and lights blinking on and off. This area is beautiful like no other place I have visited but the economic sacrifices are taking a toll on the people. I believe in keeping the beaches open to the public like Oregon even though there is a price to pay economically but I am afraid that we have already lost this battle with development for tourism. That said it should not stop us from trying to protect customary use and access to the coastline for all people to enjoy.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Not every place on the planet has to be an "economic engine". Beauty exists. Thankfully it owes you nothing.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
If you have ever watched Ken Burns' six part documentary "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" you will hear that America is unique in that it has set aside the most exquisite properties for all of the people to enjoy. This is unlike Europe for example, where it is usually a very wealthy person/family who has kept those places to themselves.

THIS is what is happening here in SoWal. Wealthy people have moved in, stealthily "quiet titled" the beach in front of their homes, hired the lawyers and lobbyists, called in political favors. To keep it for themselves.. Florida's beaches are for all Floridians to enjoy.

If you have not watched the documentary, I highly, highly recommend it. It will inspire you and make you realize what an extraordinary land that is America. Peter Coyote narrates. Amazon.com: Ken Burns: The National Parks - America's Best Idea: Ken Burns, PBS: Amazon Digital Services LLC

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yeah, hopefully it will become a vast collection of Rich Republican Private Beaches... he, he, he.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Poppaj please tell me you did not take that picture! Just kidding you. I was surprised by the Trump signs along Hwy 101. I did not enjoy that part of the scenery. We were hoping to get away from the polarization. Apparently it exists from coast to coast. We have a beautiful country and the people of this country are very divided and angry. Even in Oregon. My uncle said his priest told him to pray for Trump. I can't type what my Uncle said to the priest :)