1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Celebrating the 'people's beach' in Oregon

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Teresa, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Celebrating the 'people's beach' in Oregon

Looking back at the beach bill and Tom McCall's efforts to protect the state's coastline for future generations.

2. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Hopefully we will be celebrating the same thing in Walton County before too long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Teresa

I think we will. Hope it's not too late.. The Oregon governor was ahead of his time when he declared all beaches open to everyone. Many other places also have beaches open to the public, including all of Florida, but with certain restrictions and also with Walton County as an exception now. Oregon did it right. The coast is a treasure that is for the benefit of everyone

4. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

We just got back from a trip to the Oregon Coast and I can assure everyone it is spectacular and open to the public. This area should be on everyone's bucket list! Hwy 101 is spectacular and there are a couple of roads called bike trails that are one-way we found by accident and next time we will walk them because it is unbelievable in diverse coastline from sandy beaches to rocky shoreline to dunes that are more like small mountains. The land there is mostly controlled by the State and Federal governments and not sure but it looks to have very conservative City and County governments. There are small communities that dot the coastline that have not changed much even since Hwy 101 was built. It is amazing how they have somehow refused almost any kind of development. The people who live there are economically depressed as the only industry really is logging and very limited tourism as the season is short. Trump signs are everywhere. The small communities look to have small summer homes mixed with low income housing. We drove from Cannon Beach to Coos Bay and it the economy was very similar the whole way. There were very few homes built for views of the ocean but those that do exist are not huge multilevel concrete structures that block the views of the ocean. The Oregon coast provides a sharp contrast in economic structure when compared to most other State Coastlines that I have visited. They have over fished the waters so that industry is almost non-existent leaving logging as the primary driving economic force. Many mountains have bald spots from round clear cuts that dotted almost every mountain on the east side of Hwy 101. The locals that drive along Hwy 101 are not that welcoming to visitors as we drove just under the speed limit to take in the views but were constantly being scolded by horns and lights blinking on and off. This area is beautiful like no other place I have visited but the economic sacrifices are taking a toll on the people. I believe in keeping the beaches open to the public like Oregon even though there is a price to pay economically but I am afraid that we have already lost this battle with development for tourism. That said it should not stop us from trying to protect customary use and access to the coastline for all people to enjoy.

5. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Not every place on the planet has to be an "economic engine". Beauty exists. Thankfully it owes you nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
    • List
  6. Emerald Drifter

Emerald Drifter Beach Lover

If you have ever watched Ken Burns' six part documentary "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" you will hear that America is unique in that it has set aside the most exquisite properties for all of the people to enjoy. This is unlike Europe for example, where it is usually a very wealthy person/family who has kept those places to themselves.

THIS is what is happening here in SoWal. Wealthy people have moved in, stealthily "quiet titled" the beach in front of their homes, hired the lawyers and lobbyists, called in political favors. To keep it for themselves.. Florida's beaches are for all Floridians to enjoy.

If you have not watched the documentary, I highly, highly recommend it. It will inspire you and make you realize what an extraordinary land that is America. Peter Coyote narrates. Amazon.com: Ken Burns: The National Parks - America's Best Idea: Ken Burns, PBS: Amazon Digital Services LLC

7. stone packard

stone packard Beach Comber

Hopefully, Florida won't become a Marxist state like the People's Republic of Oregon.

8. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Yeah, hopefully it will become a vast collection of Rich Republican Private Beaches... he, he, he.

9. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

So true. Let's all hope it becomes a Republican utopia full of many fine people like this.
    [​IMG]

10. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Poppaj please tell me you did not take that picture! Just kidding you. I was surprised by the Trump signs along Hwy 101. I did not enjoy that part of the scenery. We were hoping to get away from the polarization. Apparently it exists from coast to coast. We have a beautiful country and the people of this country are very divided and angry. Even in Oregon. My uncle said his priest told him to pray for Trump. I can't type what my Uncle said to the priest :)

11. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

Plus recreational pot is legal in Oregon!

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I'd Said That Wish I'd Said That x 1
    • List
  12. Jerry Lewis

Jerry Lewis Beach Fanatic

Yeah Marx was a big pothead.

13. Teresa

Oregon Beaches: “No local selfish interest shall be permitted through politics or otherwise, to destroy or impair this great birthright of our people.”

FB_IMG_1537121109923.jpg

14. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

It has been suggested by others on another similarly themed thread that opponents of CU, who by the way are the ones with the law on their side and who privately own their beachfront and want only to be left alone to quietly enjoy their lives without trespassers or thugs bothering them, with particular unwarranted calumny as an accent for the Huckabees and the Linces and the Hackmeyers, move away to a place more to their liking, away from this tolerant, welcoming paradise of Walton County.

The same might be said for those who want to take what is not theirs. The Governor of Oregon has said, rightly or wrongly, that state’s beaches are all open to the public. Sounds as if it might be a great idea for those wanting public beach to move to where that’s all there is. Just as logical and practical an idea as its enantiomer.

Of course, you’d have to put up with the anarchy that prevails in Portland and perhaps elsewhere as Antifa sees fit. There is a remarkable symmetry between the views of those thugs and many on this forum in re let’s impose CU because we want it. Anyone else reminded of juvenile hold my breath and turn blue tantrums? Antifa of course uses weapons and assault as a matter of course there and elsewhere, so don't think it hyperbolic to suggest it could happen here as well.

A bit more introspection and a bit less declamation and condemnation might be useful. Florida’s governor, whomever he might be, cannot legally do as the idiot in Oregon did, nor can the BCC in Walton or anywhere else. The courts will decide CU one way or another.

15. bob bob

bob bob Beach Lover

You could be out right now buying property next to a State Park and and then tell people to stay out of it. Or is it cheaper to buy politicians who hand park land over to private interests?

16. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

One more note about the Oregon coastline that is a simple fact with no spin either way on customary use. The jobs are so few along the coast that they passed a law that you can not pump your own fuel. You must wait for a "fuel attendant" to run your credit card and then refuel your vehicle. Our attendant told us that it generated thousands of jobs and he seemed very grateful. Both sides of this issue is right. The wrong is in the want...want what we want when we want it and how we want it...don't want to share with those that want what they want when they want it and how they want it...

17. Teresa

I believe the entire state has been under the same law not allowing people to pump their own gas for a while now. But recently the law has been relaxed in certain ways. And from stories and posts I've seen many Oregonians don't want to pump their own gas! Lol... Weird! But I do miss gas attendants.

Oregon's preservation of its coastline goes far beyond the keeping its beaches open to the public. It's a massive preservation of many miles of coasts, dunes, lakes and forests. Much of it is state or federal park land. I've been reading about the Oregon Coastal Dunes and it's difficult to imagine this vast resource.that is preserved for all time and also enjoyed by many people visiting, hiking, camping, touring and riding dune buggies in certain parts. There are groups and organizations that work to help the dunes thrive because even though they are vast, they are still impacted by development.

FB_IMG_1537543876823.jpg

61frwrObIbL._AC_SY400_.jpg

aerial-image-oregon-dunes-national-260nw-1009385554.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  18. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

You must go visit because the pictures do not do justice. The diversity and accessibility of coastline is Utopian! Or is it? I am just asking the question how do we balance development with pristine wilderness? South Walton did for a long time but the gig is over as for as pristine goes. If you do plan a trip to Oregon I know you will see what I see and ask the questions that I ask. Why is the area so economically depressed? Is that the trade off? Is it an acceptable trade off? Before answering the question you probably should ask why are there are so many Trump bumper stickers and signs. I have freed myself of following either political party. I vote both ways depending on the best choice. It allows me to see the middle and not take sides. This is hard to do and I admit but if you can you will find a disconnection between the people and either political party. If you limit yourself to one side ALL the time you will become an artist of justification. The Democratic Party taught me that lesson during Clinton and the Republican party is teaching me that with Trump. I am not just talking about morals and ethics but a extremely divided people from a two party political system. Should we be this divided? The people that live along the Oregon coastline is a perfect example of what frustration does in the form of politics and justification.

One more thing about the dune system in Oregon. There is nothing like it anywhere I have ever been. One problem though. We stayed in Winchester Bay two nights and the best place we could find bordered camping (which we like to do but not on this trip). The walls were super thin. The carpet was stained. Not much air-conditioning. AND there was a dune buggy festival where all you heard all night was big trucks, trailers and loud noises. Listen I am a redneck and I even found this to be annoying! View areas of the dunes looked like a scene from a Mad Max movie! Beautiful but not exactly pristine :) This was our 2nd trip out there and it seems that infrastructure is deteriorating slightly. We have also traveled to San Francisco and Seattle and it seems that the same thing is happening with infrastructure. I am just trying to make a point that pictures do no tell the whole story and you must travel and interact with the people to find out the whole story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Thoughtful perspectives, observations, and questions. Thanks!

20. Andrew543

Andrew543 Beach Comber

As a matter of fact, wasn't that an independent candidate running (and losing) against a Republican?

(I found this thread interesting, and these posts amusing, but thought this may be a fair thing to note....regardless of what that candidate was or wasn't trying to say with that brilliant move).