• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
That is what a beach resort does and always has done. Provide their guests with beach services. When you stay there this is expected. And usually very well managed by the resort to accommodate guests and to look inviting. I love the stretch of umbrellas at these places. I don't stay there or go there. But it is part of the scene.

Other beaches need to be as regulated as possible to keep beaches pristine and free from an abundance of stuff. Including signs and beach setups. Keep our beaches beautiful.

So, can people also or alternately bring their own chairs/umbrellas to set up and sit on the beaches at Sandestin, Tops’l, Watercolor, Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Carillon Beach [and Alys Beach and Watersound]?

If all of the beaches are public beaches, then it seems that it wouldn’t be legal for any entity, resort/vendor or otherwise, to say they or their vendors can set up stuff on the beach there but other individuals can’t.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
So, can people also or alternately bring their own chairs/umbrellas to set up and sit on the beaches at Sandestin, Tops’l, Watercolor, Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Carillon Beach [and Alys Beach and Watersound]?

If all of the beaches are public beaches, then it seems that it wouldn’t be legal for any entity, resort/vendor or otherwise, to say they or their vendors can set up stuff on the beach there but other individuals can’t.
I agree and i think resort employees with polo shirts and a baseball cap that says security on it should be told to go home.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I agree and i think resort employees with polo shirts and a baseball cap that says security on it should be told to go home.

I’m sure the founding fathers of our republic never fathomed cabana boys in polo shirts being the constitutional arbiters of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013

Set your alarm for 5:30am ( yes even on vacation) claim your water front spot and hope the vendor Mafia doesn’t move your stuff and replace with their set up for paying customers after you leave...

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Set your alarm for 5:30am ( yes even on vacation) claim your water front spot and hope the vendor Mafia doesn’t move your stuff and replace with their set up for paying customers after you leave...

But I think the issue is starting to surface as being “paying customers” or GHOST “paying customers.” THAT is what is cutting into the scarce resource of waterfront beach sand, and the underlying problem is the OVERMARKETING of this area at the expense of people who live here, people who have vacationed here for decades, and most importantly, the environment.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
Why can't tourist carry their chairs and umbrellas to the beach each day like the lowly locals?
My husband and I love our time on 30A’s gorgeous beaches, so we are very concerned about the beach issues. We drive from St. Louis once or twice a year to stay on 30A. We used to bring chairs and an umbrella, but they do take up space in our Honda Civic. Also, as we have aged, carrying so much stuff to the beach is a bit of a challenge, so we do love being able to rent a beach set up. We are a bit confused by the customary use issue. Is this about the beach vendors? We thought it was also about beach-front homeowners restricting beach access. Can someone enlighten us, please? I tried sending an email and pictures today, but apparently the mailbox is full, so my letter and photos were not sent. I’ll ry again tomorrow or Tuesday.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
We just returned from our annual family vacation in sowal. In the 28 years that we have vacationed in the area we have grown from a family of 5 to a family of 17! Our time together with our family which inclueds 8 grand children is priceless. I am saddened to say that because of the ridiculous issues that are going on with cusomary use and beach chair vendors I am researching other areas. In order to get a space on the beach so that we could keep close tabs on our grandchildren, we had to get up at 5:30 AM to be on the beach before the beach chair company, 30A-Shade. We have small, traditional umbrellas and chairs that we transport with us year after year. Our hearts are saddened by the conditions created by the customary use issue. I am working on completing the affidavid and sending pics of our vacations dating back to 1991. I am hoping that someone takes notice and changes are made...we love sowal and don’t want to have to search for a new vacation place.
The picture of the beach chairs at the water’s edge show how we sandwiched ourselves between the vendors...we are the small umbrellas! We stayed in a 6 bedroom home in Summer’s Edge near Eastern Lake. Our beach access was at Ramsgate.

The owner of the beach chairs mentioned in this post is a County Commissioner's son.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
My husband and I love our time on 30A’s gorgeous beaches, so we are very concerned about the beach issues. We drive from St. Louis once or twice a year to stay on 30A. We used to bring chairs and an umbrella, but they do take up space in our Honda Civic. Also, as we have aged, carrying so much stuff to the beach is a bit of a challenge, so we do love being able to rent a beach set up. We are a bit confused by the customary use issue. Is this about the beach vendors? We thought it was also about beach-front homeowners restricting beach access. Can someone enlighten us, please? I tried sending an email and pictures today, but apparently the mailbox is full, so my letter and photos were not sent. I’ll ry again tomorrow or Tuesday.
After you arrive go to Wal-Mart and buy two chairs and an umbrella for less than $100 and pay them forward to an arriving family before you leave. Don't pay $40 plus per day for rentals. If enough people do this the vendors might fade away.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
So the beach issue is the beach umbrella vendors and nothing else? Your suggestion is understood; however, the beach vendor chairs are much more comfortable and the umbrellas are sturdier. Also, we have never paid $40 a day; I don’t think we’ve ever paid $200 for an entire week. We have no problem with regulations being put into place for the vendors, but we don’t support eliminating them either.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
So the beach issue is the beach umbrella vendors and nothing else? Your suggestion is understood; however, the beach vendor chairs are much more comfortable and the umbrellas are sturdier. Also, we have never paid $40 a day; I don’t think we’ve ever paid $200 for an entire week. We have no problem with regulations being put into place for the vendors, but we don’t support eliminating them either.
In PCB they are well regulated and code enforced. Chairs are 20’ above the wet sand. So either rent or sit on you towel by the the water. This eliminates most of them.