• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
If there are piles of garbage, tents and junk on those private beaches it's not due to the homeowners. The homeowners didn't leave that mess. The people that left it obviously don't care much for our beaches. It all goes back to being a respectful beach goer, leave with what you brought. This is an issue that homeowners have dealt with for years. The county's answer was to have garbage trucks come clean up instead of insisting that people clean up after themselves. We've created an environment of people can do whatever they want on the beach instead of teaching people to be respectful of the beaches and our environment.
Man, you are all twisted up. Picking up after people is the right thing to do. We aren't training them. Their parents in Atlanta did that. Or rather failed to do that. Get used to it. People paying $20K a week for a rental expect to be picked up after.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
The area definately lacks code enforcement if people are leaving trash behind. At least now code enforcement can concentrate on those public area commoners that have no respect for the beach.

If we are still cleaning the public beaches every day and 50% of those beaches have beach chair vendors on them and there is still trash left on the beach, wouldn't at least some of that be coming from the 1000 or so bfo's and their guests?

I think someone said we have 3 miles of publc beach minus 50% (for vendors) that leaves the rest of us with 1.5 miles of beach to mess up and clean after. The remaining 20+ miles is being tended to by the ecologically conscience bfo's.

If my numbers are even close to accurate, this should be an easy fix.
It's about NINE (9) miles of public beach; not 3. You have had, have, and will have 26 miles of public foreshore beach to walk on. L.C. Bane, who takes care of your private property better than you? Who takes better care of private beachfront property better than the owner of the property? After TS Gordon storm surf a week ago do you know what I picked up most!? In order; 1. cigarette butts, 2. water bottle twist tops, and 3. plastic toys. I don't smoke and all the rest was not mine or the people I invite on our property.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Man, you are all twisted up. Picking up after people is the right thing to do. We aren't training them. Their parents in Atlanta did that. Or rather failed to do that. Get used to it. People paying $20K a week for a rental expect to be picked up after.
NO, people picking up after yourself is the respectful and right thing to do. Picking up after disrespectful people is enabling them. One way to prevent beachfront from being trashed is to apply consequences - keep off if you can't respect private beachfront and cleanup after yourself.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I hope we can agree that the TDC and Walton County should have programs in place and working every day to keep beaches clean, pristine, free of debris, proper lighting, no improper signs or fences (besides those allowed at this point, enforcement of rules for all beach activities including vendors. That's part of their mission and we should expect clean beaches no matter who claims private or not. Can we at least agree that our beaches deserve daily maintenance, good enforcement AND a limited/regulated Vendor program similar to other coastal communities. Keeping beaches clear of all obstacles to enjoying a beautiful beach day.

Clean beaches for the entire coastline is something we should all expect.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
NO, people picking up after yourself is the respectful and right thing to do. Picking up after disrespectful people is enabling them. One way to prevent beachfront from being trashed is to apply consequences - keep off if you can't respect private beachfront and cleanup after yourself.
There are no consequences.

L.C. Bane

Beach Fanatic
Aug 8, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
It's about NINE (9) miles of public beach; not 3. You have had, have, and will have 26 miles of public foreshore beach to walk on. L.C. Bane, who takes care of your private property better than you? Who takes better care of private beachfront property better than the owner of the property? After TS Gordon storm surf a week ago do you know what I picked up most!? In order; 1. cigarette butts, 2. water bottle twist tops, and 3. plastic toys. I don't smoke and all the rest was not mine or the people I invite on our property.

NINE (9) miles, got it. I wasn't positive on that number just thought I read on here somewhere. Oh thats right. If you include state parks its 9. Excluding pay to enter state parks it's 3 according to one of your other posts. Thank you for the correction and for picking up around the beach. Much appreciated.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm still waiting on the figures from TDC or somebody about how many visitors we get on any given sun day to see how they are going to fit in the 3 miles.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Um, this is an odd question; neither protection nor development. This is purely about people wishing to use the beach as they always have without harassment or hinderance. No conspiracy. Simple. We want to go whenever and wherever we wish on all beaches as it has always been. Simple. That Is All.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
I hope we can agree that the TDC and Walton County should have programs in place and working every day to keep beaches clean, pristine, free of debris, proper lighting, no improper signs or fences (besides those allowed at this point, enforcement of rules for all beach activities including vendors. That's part of their mission and we should expect clean beaches no matter who claims private or not. Can we at least agree that our beaches deserve daily maintenance, good enforcement AND a limited/regulated Vendor program similar to other coastal communities. Keeping beaches clear of all obstacles to enjoying a beautiful beach day.

Clean beaches for the entire coastline is something we should all expect.

I hope you encourage all you know to follow your example as you personally and publicly at BCC meetings and by every other means at your disposal urge the BCC to set forth reasonable rules and regs for the Beach Vendors, including limits on setups, require they clean their licensed stretch of beach every day, filling in of holes dug, and selling the rights to those beaches rather than giving them away. Ghost setups no longer allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
See if this pattern holds ... troll...troll...troll..troll...OMG you guys are terrible .... IMA VICTIM! ... silence.
Well it didnt take that long...from Floridabeachbum on the Open Question thread....."Wow. Incredible. You and Dave R and others only encourage this behavior and blame the victims!?"You called it!