• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
There are a number of assumptions in your question and incomplete information on the lawsuits. Not sure where the idea comes in that the vast majority don't want to proceed with due process.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
There are a number of assumptions in your question and incomplete information on the lawsuits. Not sure where the idea comes in that the vast majority don't want to proceed with due process.

I thought Dave's analysis was fairly succinct and complete. The assumption you speak of comes from the assaults of intimidation and misinformation that are being spread in social media by BFO's. This site is inundated with some very bombastic statements in particular. "You can't handle the truth!" comes to mind. As well as that old favorite "room temperature intellect", referring to "town people" who want to express their opinion about the custom use of the beach.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I thought Dave's analysis was fairly succinct and complete. The assumption you speak of comes from the assaults of intimidation and misinformation that are being spread in social media by BFO's. This site is inundated with some very bombastic statements in particular. "You can't handle the truth!" comes to mind. As well as that old favorite "room temperature intellect", referring to "town people" who want to express their opinion about the custom use of the beach.

Unfortunately, intimidation and misinformation has occurred on both sides. I have tried diligently not to be any part of that, but have certainly observed it with dismay. On the lawsuits, I'm guessing one was the Alford case, which to my knowledge was an acknowledgement of Home Rule authority, but not a statement one way or another on CU. The Blessey case, was dismissed without prejudice because it wasn't "ripe" yet (CU is not in place so the claim isn't ripe), so it may be refiled at a later date. I don't know of a 3rd case. Part of the problem and what I refer to as assumptions is that, just because one or even a few GFO say or do something, is not a reflection of all GFOs. That generalization has created a lot of unnecessary conflict in my opinion. BTW, I am not an attorney so my comments on the lawsuits are my layman understanding of what I've heard explained by attorneys.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
....You went to court to stop it. You lost two cases when the Judge ruled against you. You also lost the Federal Lawsuit when the Judge ruled against you. You lobbied and pressed the Florida Legislature to pass a law to stop Walton County from maintaining it's CU ordinance and you won. CU is stopped for the time being.
OMG! I didn’t know. It’s all over. Take my property NOW before I lose anything else, please!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

Actually, the derogatory term most used to describe our passionate community made up of of those supporting Customary Use is "Mob"

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Unfortunately, intimidation and misinformation has occurred on both sides. I have tried diligently not to be any part of that, but have certainly observed it with dismay. On the lawsuits, I'm guessing one was the Alford case, which to my knowledge was an acknowledgement of Home Rule authority, but not a statement one way or another on CU. The Blessey case, was dismissed without prejudice because it wasn't "ripe" yet (CU is not in place so the claim isn't ripe), so it may be refiled at a later date. I don't know of a 3rd case. Part of the problem and what I refer to as assumptions is that, just because one or even a few GFO say or do something, is not a reflection of all GFOs. That generalization has created a lot of unnecessary conflict in my opinion. BTW, I am not an attorney so my comments on the lawsuits are my layman understanding of what I've heard explained by attorneys.
That is a fair assessment and my knowledge of all case histories is limited, also. I don’t have an attorney to explain all facets of this to me, but it’s fairly clear to this layman that these beaches were customarily used for hundreds of years, peacefully, and the BFO’s who launched their lawsuits were well aware of it.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
And there is ample documented evidence to support that well deserved title.

Shannon

I really don’t know what you think you are accomplishing by coming onto this site with that attitude, but it sure looks like it’s backfiring.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
Oh, I get it. You own the truth. What a Trumpanzee!! And an allegory with "town people" is just precious. You, of course, not being one of the "town people", must be living in the castle on the hill. You need to get over your superiority complex.

While I would be honored to take credit for this 19th century tale, it is most famously shown in the painting by Jean-Leon Gerome "Truth coming out of her well".

I didn't write this nor was it about me. I don't profess to own the truth. I only have self awareness of the meaning of the fable.

Shannon

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
While I would be honored to take credit for this 19th century tale, it is most famously shown in the painting by Jean-Leon Gerome "Truth coming out of her well".

I didn't write this nor was it about me. I don't profess to own the truth. I only have self awareness of the meaning of the fable.

Shannon

Instead of 19th century fables about naked truth why don’t you produce the well documented evidence that the people who are declaring their commitment to continuing customary use of these beaches deserve to be called a mob.