• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Sunchaser, or anybody else interested in the folk history of this area may want to read my book "Postcards of Seagrove". It's just my recollections along with a few other anecdotes about growing up in the sixties and seventies (OMG, I'm rambling now). It is available at Sundog Books, Original 30-A, and at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Postcards-Seagrove-Garrett-Horn/dp/0692691413/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489066105&sr=8-1&keywords=Postcards+of+Seagrove

And it's a good read!!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Speaking of running off into stuff, there have been more than a few folks unfamiliar with the area that mistook 395 north into Point Washington - and straight on into Tucker Bayou - for 331 North. My aunt and uncle Ollie Sue and Albert Butler lived near the end of 395, would hear a car go by waaaaay too fast, say "there goes another one," call the Sheriff's Office and go down and help fish the soggy occupants out of their car.

If you are going 65 - 70 mph, the "Pavement Ends" sign just north of the Methodist Church might give you time to utter an expletive before you hit the water. But, since 331 has been four-laned, the fancy boat launch at the north end of 395 was built and Ollie Sue and Albert have passed away, I haven't heard of another amphibious landing.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Have we discussed "FROGS" filmed at Eden in 1971-1972 yet? :)
They show it every October as part of the Halloween film festival outdoors at Eden. Don't go for the plot; go for the scenery. Local builder Robert Sanders is the little boy toward the end with the big frog. The scenery also includes a young, virile Sam Elliott. Joan Van Ark for you menfolk.
I hear there is a secret mystery guest this year. Not sure if it is confirmed or if it is a secret anymore. Just say it's not Joan Van Ark, and the female population of Point Washington may spike on film day.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
They show it every October as part of the Halloween film festival outdoors at Eden. Don't go for the plot; go for the scenery. Local builder Robert Sanders is the little boy toward the end with the big frog. The scenery also includes a young, virile Sam Elliott. Joan Van Ark for you menfolk.
I hear there is a secret mystery guest this year. Not sure if it is confirmed or if it is a secret anymore. Just say it's not Joan Van Ark, and the female population of Point Washington may spike on film day.

Tada...check this out from Sam Elliott's IMDB page:
MV5BNzljNjBjYzUtOWFlMi00YzM0LWI4MzctZmM5YTMzMGU0NjZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Garrett Horn

Beach Lover
Mar 2, 2017
You jogged my memory about that road spur that dead-ended about where Fish Out of Water is now. We had the same situation at Eastern Lake. A spur that stopped right into the dunes. I don't think anybody bothered to put a road close sign, so hurried tourists and local drinking folk occasionally found themselves hub deep in sugar white in the middle of nowhere.

The way these spurs dead-ended makes me think that somebody, with a whole lot more wisdom than me, realized it was a far, far better idea to move the road inland at those places, rather than some misguided earlier plan, and truly saved the great beauty of those magnificent lakes. Job well done.

Here is a great high rez photo (1969) of that "detour" they did at Eastern Lake.1969-11-15_Eastern_USGS_hi-res.jpg

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Robert Sanders - IMDb

I didn't know he did other films.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I know a Robert Sanders AC contractor around here, but I don’t think he was ever in any other movies. Are we getting confused?