• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
BFO’s don’t like signs, protesters and commissioners caused them, blame them.
Their lawyers and neighbors told them to put up the signs. You can't lie to people and get away with it here. There's been signs on the beach for many years before any protesters. I don't want to be on your beach. I don't like your signs and threats.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
For those of you who just enjoy disagreeing with Reggie's viewpoint, but don't add any facts to the conversation, why do you keep commenting? Just curious. You aren't asking questions, you are just attacking someone else's viewpoint and adding conflict

I go to a stretch of beach that is private and has no signs, but if what I saw just this morning continues or gets worse, I bet that signs will go up soon. Most of the people who were on the beach were fine, but there were a few of those who insisted on putting up tents and canopies in the morning and then walking away for several hours. That is one of the biggest complaints (other than trash and dune issues) I have heard property owners make is these people who set up their day camps. Who will you blame if the property owners end up putting up signs? How do people know what is expected without them? Even the TDC has signs and they don't give a clue that people are going on to private property. Wouldn't it be amazing if all the rhetoric in social media that is used against beach owners and others were instead used to educate people to be respectful?
First of all, I comment on this thread because the exceedingly shameful title of this thread keeps popping up in recent posts. The title is dishonest. The bulk of what is repeated ad nausea is dishonest and disrespectful to a vast amount of honest people. I’ve made several factual statements on this thread and gotten nothing but the same propaganda from you and your side. The reality is the BFO’s have a choice in this situation: to erect signs and chains or not erect signs and chains. If they put the signs up then they need to own up to the consequences of their actions, not blame others.

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
LV2, let’s try this. I am on no “side”, other than the facts and the law. Trying to settle the noise. We’ve repeatedly demonstrated here that much of the consumed sensationalist private beach complaints are actually false myths. So instead of talking about me or you, let’s discuss facts. Pick1 of the 3 popular private beach myths. Pick just one.
Quiet title turned public beach to private
Beach not taxed
HB 631 turned public beach to private.
These are all factually false. On which one(s) might I have missed something? Just one. Any one. Go ahead, pick.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
When these quiet title proceedings began, they were most likely legal, but whether they were the morally right thing to do is really questionable. Whether there was proper notification of affected parties is also really questionable. When you claimed the beach with quiet title then you most surely should be taxed for that land. I really have no insight as to if you are or if you aren't. And if you now have right to exclusion because of HB 631, then this most valuable territory should be taxed to the hilt. HB631 gave BFO's the right to exclusion. There is no lawful reason to erect signs and chains to prosecute for trespassing. This is a personal choice by BFO's that was allowed by the County, BUT NOT NECESSARY. Therefore, the erection of signs and fences is purely an asinine reaction based on arrogance that has caused the situation we are now in. And I call bullshit on your attempt to say you are on "no side" because the very title of this thread tells me you are clearly insulting anyone who claims customary use has been a doctrine on these beaches for hundreds of years. We all know what your motives are. It's propaganda to make it seem like the BFO's are victims. Period.

Last edited:

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
This thread is depressing. I said I’d quit following but easier said than done. Questions not directed at me but here goes—

Quiet title turned public beach to private: quiet title is used when there is a title dispute - a cloud on title, like use by others — notice rqmts having been met are weak in real life as to non BFOs. Certainly an attempt to exclude.
Beach not taxed: it’s been set forth by the assessor that it’s not. It’s the value of the ocean view by being BF that’s taxed.
HB 631 turned public beach to private: don’t think that’s the argument being made; it’s that walton was singled out via the now codified law w retroactive to only a certain date “effectiveness” making the CU ordinance void. Legislation sets out procedure to fix. in process now.

Signs been cropping up for a long time before the current situation. It’s part of why the CU ordinance was enacted. Each sign has been offensive to me. If CU succeeds or fails the county must rein in bad beach behavior. And banish ghost chairs.

Going elsewhere for vacation. Will miss the great restaurants and the fairy glen that is Old Seagrove. Frankly, it’s heart breaking. Seems the expectation is for us to get in the car to drive to sit on dry sand instead of our custom, which is to walk down the short shaded oyster shell road with the sweet crunch under our flip flops to the neighborhood access where we enjoy the excruciatingly beauty that nature there offers. As mama says, the whole ”kinnygarden” class seems to be being punished for the acts of a few bad apples. We have been respectful, no big tent encampment, no blaring music. We fill holes and pick up trash. Ah well.

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
Depressing? The result, yes. LV2 & MRBS, you’ve been duped, sorry. I know, it’s sad. Otherwise intelligent professionals becoming entitlement followers of a sham seems to be common in Walton County today. Go figure.
Quiet title solves a glitch in property transfer from one agreeable private property owner to another. You’ve both bought into a lie that it steals public beach, or is nefarious, nope, it is not and do not. The county attorney has authored a report that proves this. Read it. Not one quiet title transfer had ANY public interest. None. Nada. Zip.
Now, Beaches, porches, bathrooms, garages, torture rooms, grow rooms, outhouses, and helipads are all taxed the same - as part of a whole property. Portions of property don’t get taxed differently. The whole property is taxed on market value period. PROPERTY MARKET VALUE. Anyone telling you different is blowing through a magic flute. Don’t follow. It won’t end well for you.
Signs have been on 30A beaches for 30 years. Incompetent County leaders not planning beach access for a 600% increase in bodies, the county DIRECTLY suing private property owners to cover their incompetence, and a few Avenatti/Sharpton type internet actors driving clickbait have backed them into a corner. You’d do the same if so violated. Just Imagine it’s YOUR yard?
It’s like you two don’t want to believe the true history presented to you plainly here. I know for a fact you’re both smarter than that. I get it, this IS emotional, for all of us. But the legal process is not an opinion. It’s not emotion. It’s cause & effect historical fact. And Laws. The title of this post is NOT an opinion or a lie. REGARDLESS OF WHO WINS, THIS VERY LOUD SCREAMING CAMPAIGN AND CU COURT CASE WILL DESTROY OUR 30A LEGACY. How can it end any differently? It cannot.

Last edited:

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Depressing? The result, yes. LV2 & MRBS, you’ve been duped, sorry. I know, it’s sad. Otherwise intelligent professionals becoming entitlement followers of a sham seems to be common in Walton County today. Go figure.
Quiet title solves a glitch in property transfer from one agreeable private property owner to another. You’ve both bought into a lie that it steals public beach, or is nefarious, nope, it is not and do not. The county attorney has authored a report that proves this. Read it. Not one quiet title transfer had ANY public interest. None. Nada. Zip.
Now, Beaches, porches, bathrooms, garages, torture rooms, grow rooms, outhouses, and helipads are all taxed the same - as part of a whole property. Portions of property don’t get taxed differently. The whole property is taxed on market value period. PROPERTY MARKET VALUE. Anyone telling you different is blowing through a magic flute. Don’t follow. It won’t end well for you.
Signs have been on 30A beaches for 30 years. Incompetent County leaders not planning beach access for a 600% increase in bodies, the county DIRECTLY suing private property owners to cover their incompetence, and a few Avenatti/Sharpton type internet actors driving clickbait have backed them into a corner. You’d do the same if so violated. Just Imagine it’s YOUR yard?
It’s like you two don’t want to believe the true history presented to you plainly here. I know for a fact you’re both smarter than that. I get it, this IS emotional, for all of us. But the legal process is not an opinion. It’s not emotion. It’s cause & effect historical fact. And Laws. The title of this post is NOT an opinion or a lie. REGARDLESS OF WHO WINS, THIS VERY LOUD SCREAMING CAMPAIGN AND CU COURT CASE WILL DESTROY OUR 30A LEGACY. How can it end any differently? It cannot.
The fact that you read @MRBS post and think it's sad because she's been duped, instead of what she actually feels, tells us all we need to know about you. You can see nothing beyond your own purse.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake

What's depressing is the gaslighting techniques you are using to place blame. Customary use is not something that cropped up a few years ago. Customary use of these beaches has been a doctrine since the first visitors came to these shores thousands of years ago. It was reinforced through the years as each successive generation of beach-goers used the beach in a customary manner. My parents were a part of customary use. The Butler family was a part of customary use. Cube McGee's family were a part of customary use. In fact hundreds of thousands of families, generation after generation, were a part of the customary use of these beaches. For you to pronounce that all of these people are to blame for the destruction of the legacy of 30-A is just plain insulting. Your alternative narrative doesn't hold water. There is a very distinct chance that a handful of arrogant, narcissistic property owners have lied to themselves and others about the true nature of this area, and convinced themselves and their lawyers that there were no people customarily using these beach when they were sold their bundle of rights. Do you really think that your hollow words are just going instantly persuade these people were wrong their entire lives?