• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob, I'm not following how your comment refutes the points that BMBVagrant made. Can you please explain what was wrong with his point?
Representative Gaetz tried to change the rules in Congress and was also involved with the CU legislation that occurred here in Sowal.

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
I leave y’all with this precious thread and it falls apart in the hands of mischief.
Parenting in the new millennium, GEEZ!

Bob, Dave, you’re correct. That bill aimed to turn Pensacola public beach into private beach, and indeed it failed locally, big win for the community. They deserve to celebrate and be proud, it was destined to be, and remains, public. Cheers to the passion of the lady as the face of it all!

But that is opposite of the CU charade here in Walton. Walton’s beaches have “always” had private ownership mixed in. Unlike Pensacola’s that were “always” public. BIG BIG difference! Walton’s have been private Longer actually than Pensacola’s have been public. The Walton private/public beach ratio has remained virtually unchanged here for nearly 100 years. So their win says nothing at all about this CU fantasy thing here. Nowhere in Walton has Public beach been turned private. Period.

FBFA claims but we’ve always had CU. That’s simply not true. We never have. BCC tried to illegally claim a 2016 ordinance to provide it, but that was illegal and adults in Tallahassee immediately scolded them, correcting the legal error.

So the debate rolls on, with Pensacola actually reinforcing the legacy idea of legal president. Same goes for private beaches here setting a century of president. Unfortunately for FBFA, the overwhelming evidence of constantly disputed and daily interrupted public use of private beach is an overwhelming reality that is squelching the CU movement.

But regardless of who wins, as thoroughly described 1501 posts ago:
Customary Use will Destroy Our 30A Legacy

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
But that is opposite of the CU charade here in Walton. Walton’s beaches have “always” had private ownership mixed in. Unlike Pensacola’s that were “always” public. BIG BIG difference!
Yet there are still attempts by the “carnival barkers” to misstate and skew facts when they feel their audience might be willing to bite.

Why did Escambia County want to sell off / lease publicly owned beach and make it private? To stimulate the local economy of course.

Today, Walton County wants to confiscate private beach property. Why? For the exact same reason. Except we will be in the 30A destructive mode of this development cycle / curve as the tourist economy is already running on all 8 cylinders. But for developers, the real estate industry and other businesses, that’s not enough. Just add more cylinders, it’ll all fit under that hood.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Regarding Dianne being an “ally”, I guess nobody is perfect. BTW, thats Dianne, with 2 n’s. True friends know how to spell each other’s names.

Anyone that knows me knows that I dictate rather than type with my thumbs on my phone. My friend Tony V. often gets spelled Toni with an i. Your desperation and string pulling is palpable. So sorry to have starved you of material. Thank you for drawing even more attention to the Pensacola issue which helps us. Well, maybe not here because no one’s really watching this thread except for a handful of you folks and a handful of us folks

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Thou protests too much re spelling.

Ok....Thou doth protest too much.

So why in the hell do you spend so much time here on SoWal countering all the private property rights advocates if there’s nobody worthwhile reading? Don’t you have some restaurants and hundreds of people depending on you?

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Yet there are still attempts by the “carnival barkers” to misstate and skew facts when they feel their audience might be willing to bite.

Why did Escambia County want to sell off / lease publicly owned beach and make it private? To stimulate the local economy of course.

Today, Walton County wants to confiscate private beach property. Why? For the exact same reason. Except we will be in the 30A destructive mode of this development cycle / curve as the tourist economy is already running on all 8 cylinders. But for developers, the real estate industry and other businesses, that’s not enough. Just add more cylinders, it’ll all fit under that hood.

Well there you go again. Representative Gaetz said it was to stop double taxing people who leased on the beach. 80% of the people voting in the referendum beat that idea. Of course Representative Gaetz was able to get it passed in the House but unable to get heard in the Senate when Senator Nelson dropped his support.
Rep. Matt Gaetz said fee-simple bill is dead at Pensacola town hall

And you commented that Escambia wanted the change to stimulate the economy. I would love to see that written somewhere than in your own words.

According to the article it was the lease holders who lobbied for this because they wanted to change the way they were taxed. Not sure if they have been taxed from the day of the lease but they have been leasing properties since 1950.
Sen. Nelson withdraws support for federal bill to allow private ownership of local beaches

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
Anyone that knows me knows that I dictate rather than type with my thumbs on my phone. My friend Tony V. often gets spelled Toni with an i. Your desperation and string pulling is palpable. So sorry to have starved you of material. Thank you for drawing even more attention to the Pensacola issue which helps us. Well, maybe not here because no one’s really watching this thread except for a handful of you folks and a handful of us folks
Well dang it Dave, I thought we had a vast universe of fans out there. Thanks for clearing that up. Now that we know it’s just a couple of us girls in here, I need advice. Seriously, actually... knowing that you’ve had/have a couple/few Tesla’s, I’m pretty close to joining the club. Can’t decide on the Autopilot option, reading a ton of differing reviews. Thoughts?

Last edited: