• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Seaside News
April 18, 2020
Seaside | Seaside Commercial District will remain closed

Seaside Commercial District will remain closed
Posted on APR 18, 2020 in COVID-19

200403-seaside-035-sowal-2000.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Kurt Lischka, Moon Creek Studios

April 18, 2020

Seaside, Fla. – Today, Seaside Community Development Corp. (SCDC) announced to Seaside Merchants that the Commercial District will remain closed after April 30, 2020. In a letter written to key stakeholders below, SCDC states they will work as a community to create milestones to reopen, assuring health and safety remain their priority. The letter concluded with naming task members and a call to action for each merchant to reach out to share ideas and concerns before the collaborative meeting is initiated.

Hello Seaside Merchants,

As we peek into the weeks ahead there is truly only one thing we know for certain, we must put health and safety first as a community. As many of you know, we formed a Mitigation Team due to the Covid-19 Crisis. Our first order of business was education ultimately resulting in the formal closure of Seaside Commercial. Since then, the Mitigation Team has been meeting remotely almost daily, cycling through crisis management tasks.

The Seaside Commercial District is the heart and soul of our town. While travel bans may soon be lifted, the commercial district is not opening at the end of April. We set April 30 as a future date to review as the situation dictated. The date of reopening is not yet clear, and that is why we would like to invite input from our merchant community.

We have created a task team comprised of merchants to meet with SCDC’ Mitigation Team early next week. We will discuss measures SCDC is thinking about to keep health and safety first when we do reopen. This task team will help us examine the plan and contribute invaluable insight. We anticipate this collaboration will result in guidelines for all merchants to create your own plan that works for the reopening of your business. We recognize that every merchant has unique challenges to address. Fundamentally, you know your business will ‘look’ different as we gradually reopen. By creating milestones as a community, we will remain on purpose and reopen our beloved town together.

More information to follow.
Seaside | Seaside Commercial District will remain closed

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
Another bold move by Seaside. It will be interesting to see what happens at state level, especially with rentals.

Agreed. Seaside has taken the lead from the beginning, making tough but necessary decisions and has set the example for 30A.

I think vacation rentals need to continue to be banned for May, but it’s hard to see DeSantis doing this. If the beaches start to re-open and vacation rentals are allowed to restart, we may see a scenario in May that is.....not good.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
Agreed. Seaside has taken the lead from the beginning, making tough but necessary decisions and has set the example for 30A.

I think vacation rentals need to continue to be banned for May, but it’s hard to see DeSantis doing this. If the beaches start to re-open and vacation rentals are allowed to restart, we may see a scenario in May that is.....not good.
There's just one little problem with "taking the lead" and making tough decisions. The businesses that are closed during all this don't have any money coming in, and their employees aren't working and their bills need to be paid.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
There's just one little problem with "taking the lead" and making tough decisions. The businesses that are closed during all this don't have any money coming in, and their employees aren't working and their bills need to be paid.
As is the case for millions of others and most everyone in SoWal.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A

Nobody is disputing that. That’s why they’re tough decisions.

lesson25

Beach Comber
Jan 26, 2016
I can not see this being the yard stick for all businesses through out 331, 30A and Highway 98. Rental companies, housecleaning companies, Restaurants and Bars that rely on alcohol sales frequently for their bottom line are the one s most likely taking the gut punch right now. I can not see all businesses getting in line with Seaside throughout Walton County. I hope and pray for the best for all in Walton County.

Ty Webb

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2020
Miramar Beach
I can not see this being the yard stick for all businesses through out 331, 30A and Highway 98. Rental companies, housecleaning companies, Restaurants and Bars that rely on alcohol sales frequently for their bottom line are the one s most likely taking the gut punch right now. I can not see all businesses getting in line with Seaside throughout Walton County. I hope and pray for the best for all in Walton County.

Agreed. Let Seaside remain closed as long as they want. The rest of the county should open now.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Seaside is only responsible for their own town,bbeach and merchants. But they have helped guide our community in certain ways since the beginning of the pandemic. The state of Florida and Walton County will make the decisions for our beaches, rentals, restaurants and businesses. South Walton Beach towns, resorts, hotels and businesses will be waiting and watching for these changes and will announce their updates. Everyone is eagar to open up as soon as possible and with care for employees and the community.