• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek
My question is - are the hotel / motels/ resorts following these guidelines today? I see a lot of tourists here now and they are staying somewhere. My guess hotel/ motels. Are they following these rules? Probably not.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
My question is - are the hotel / motels/ resorts following these guidelines today? I see a lot of tourists here now and they are staying somewhere. My guess hotel/ motels. Are they following these rules? Probably not.
Yes I believe they are. They are taking it seriously and want their guests to be healthy and happy. They rely on repeat business and good referrals.

As to your other point, go by WaterColor town center today and you'll see a hundred bikes by the beach access and hundreds of people on the beach. Those people aren't staying at the Inn.

sleepswithdogs

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2018
Southeast
Yes I believe they are. They are taking it seriously and want their guests to be healthy and happy. They rely on repeat business and good referrals.

As to your other point, go by WaterColor town center today and you'll see a hundred bikes by the beach access and hundreds of people on the beach. Those people aren't staying at the Inn.
I agree with you. We are owners here in WC & have been here for a couple of months. I have seen the crowds getting heavier. Out walking we have noticed cars with guest tags in rear view mirrors. I know our rental company is not taking any chances. Where r the rental tags coming from? I do know Vacasa has says they are renting to residents of FL. but these cars are from TN./GA& SC..... we just had a house on our street have 1 family leave who btw left trash everywhere & another move their suitcases in 2 hours later. I’m over it. We do rent our house & the income is certainly helpful to our investment but my husband and I are hoping it doesn’t get approved right away.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I agree with you. We are owners here in WC & have been here for a couple of months. I have seen the crowds getting heavier. Out walking we have noticed cars with guest tags in rear view mirrors. I know our rental company is not taking any chances. Where r the rental tags coming from? I do know Vacasa has says they are renting to residents of FL. but these cars are from TN./GA& SC..... we just had a house on our street have 1 family leave who btw left trash everywhere & another move their suitcases in 2 hours later. I’m over it. We do rent our house & the income is certainly helpful to our investment but my husband and I are hoping it doesn’t get approved right away.
I suspect most of it is owners, families, extended families, friends, and "friends".

"Friends" being renters who are hiding it. Renting from owners, going behind the back of their rental manager and/or VRBO and AirBnB, etc. I wouldn't doubt that some rental companies are complicit, even if they aren't actually doing the bookings and handling transactions.
This goes on a lot in normal times also. A lot of owners pay back e,employees and contractors in their home towns with letting them use their beach house. Probably a lot of that going on right now with people not working.

BTW, if VACASA is renting to anyone, Florida residents or not, they are doing wrong.

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
I suspect most of it is owners, families, extended families, friends, and "friends".

"Friends" being renters who are hiding it. Renting from owners, going behind the back of their rental manager and/or VRBO and AirBnB, etc. I wouldn't doubt that some rental companies are complicit, even if they aren't actually doing the bookings and handling transactions.
This goes on a lot in normal times also. A lot of owners pay back e,employees and contractors in their home towns with letting them use their beach house. Probably a lot of that going on right now with people not working.

BTW, if VACASA is renting to anyone, Florida residents or not, they are doing wrong.
We rent from friends who have a house there and we're not hiding anything.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
You must not be in SoWal and already can see we are busting at the seams with visitors - owners, friends, illegal renters, whatever ... I don't doubt that as soon as rentals are open we will be full as always. Lots of people sick of their home and hometowns out there and lots of people who don't even know what a mask is.
Bob, I am here, live here and recognize the influx of people - My only point is that these "Plans" provided by both counties lack substance and are clearly just fluff, especially Okaloosa county. I also agree this is a probably a done deal after Memorial Day in addition to another post I saw regarding how WC's plans to the state MAY heave been developed outside of the Sunshine law..

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Please be advised that the Walton County Board of County Commissioners will hold an Emergency Meeting on Tuesday, May 19th at 2:00 p.m. This meeting will be held at the Walton County Courthouse, located at 571 US Highway 90, DeFuniak Springs, FL.
The purpose of this meeting is for the Walton County Board of County Commissioners to discuss and take appropriate on the lifting of the Short-Term Rental Ban.

This meeting will be open to the public on a limited basis in order to adhere to proper social distancing protocols.
Due to the limited seating capacity, this meeting will also be accessible to the public via “Zoom”.
To participate via Zoom, please see the directions that follow.
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting now

Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):

US: 1 312 626 6799
1 929 205 6099
1 301 715 8592
1 346 248 7799
1 669 900 6833
1 253 215 8782
Webinar ID: 891 4524 7727

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Walton County Chamber of Commerce
May 19

BREAKING: Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Gulf, Franklin & Bay County can now reopen vacation rentals.

We are awaiting final details on timelines from DBPR and will post updates as we receive them.

Please be advised that the Walton County Board of County Commissioners will hold an Emergency Meeting on Tuesday, May 19th at 2:00 p.m. This meeting will be held at the Walton County Courthouse, located at 571 US Highway 90, DeFuniak Springs, FL.

The purpose of this meeting is for the Walton County Board of County Commissioners to discuss and take appropriate on the lifting of the Short-Term Rental Ban.

This meeting will be open to the public on a limited basis in order to adhere to proper social distancing protocols.

Due to the limited seating capacity, this meeting will also be accessible to the public via “Zoom”.

Oh great

Beach Comber
Apr 25, 2020
Grayton beach
Terrible news!
100% short term rentals
50% restaurants. Better get your groceries and essentials now

Walton County Chamber of Commerce
May 19

BREAKING: Great news! Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Gulf, Franklin & Bay County can now reopen vacation rentals! A special thanks to Secretary Beshears & Governor DeSantis for making it happen today!

We are awaiting final details on timelines from DBPR and will post updates as we receive them.