• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Are we back to the glory days before an eminent bubble burst or does it just go up from here?
If you take the long view it is steady growth for SoWal - meaning all the way up to I-10. The 98 and 331 corridors are entering a boom in commercial.
The 30-A corridor is getting more built out and more exclusive. Prices on the Gulf and bay and bayous are sky rocketing. We are getting a surge in new residents and will be experiencing a ton of growing pains for roads, schools and other infrastructure.

We are still in the beginning of rampant growth that every other area in Florida has seen. There is very little inventory and developers are rushing to provide it. We are seeing many new projects starting off the beach - apartments, townhouses, etc. Look for large retirement communities and golf course gated subdivisions along 331 and 79.

Misc - St. Joe partners with Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville for ‘active adult community’

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Well, shoot, I can’t say I like your answer. We are leaving Atlanta because we prefer a slower pace and less people. I can’t say I’d be thrilled to roll into another under-infrastructured, over crowded place. . I’ve watched SoWal grow for the past 15 years and hope to squeeze a few more out before it gets to be too much. I guess I thought Walton County would protect its state forests and prevent the Destin density? It sounds like maybe that’s not the plan?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Well, shoot, I can’t say I like your answer. We are leaving Atlanta because we prefer a slower pace and less people. I can’t say I’d be thrilled to roll into another under-infrastructured, over crowded place. . I’ve watched SoWal grow for the past 15 years and hope to squeeze a few more out before it gets to be too much. I guess I thought Walton County would protect its state forests and prevent the Destin density? It sounds like maybe that’s not the plan?

Atlanta has destroyed this area. Luckily it's not up to locals or politicians as to the development of the forests, that's not going to happen.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Now that our "commercial" boom has started I suppose it will take half as long to buildout as similar communities in Florida over the past few decades, since 40% of the land in SoWal is protected state lands. Freeport from the bay to I-10 is going to be head spinning soon. Same for Panama City Beach to I-10.

South Walton will feel like a very expensive oasis compared to our sister cities of Destin and Panama City Beach.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Brace yourself. The cries will be loud and clear as what people thought was state lands are cleared and built.