• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
What about:
+++++++++++++++++++++++

DO NOT WALK

[put in pic of dunes with international sign of red circle with red slash through it]

ON THE DUNES

Why? It harms and erodes the beach.
Stay off the dunes to help save the beach!

++++++++++++++++++++++++

or:

DO NOT WALK ON THE DUNES

WE DON"T PEE IN YOUR POOL

(save the dunes; walking on them erodes them)

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
kurt said:
I've seen brochures for sea turtle protection, beach flag system, hurricane safety, water safety, etc.

Might be time to combine them and a few other items like dune protection into one 4-page, single-fold brochure kind of like Paula first suggested. I will talk to some folks about it, inc. the TDC. Or, it could be done by private interests or a combination of public and private, with a few ads on it, which I would contribute to.

Adding to this idea and suggesting a layout--and keep it simple!:

Tri fold brochure:

Front cover:

SoWal Guide to the Beaches

Please keep our beaches beautiful and be safe!

Information on:

--protecting the dunes
--avoiding sharks
--protecting the turtles
--hurricane preparedness

unfolded inside tri panel--with a unifying headline so this section can be unfolded and framed:

three panels--

1. first panel--dunes

--info on not walking on Dunes--simple language and graphics

--website for more info

small paragraph at the bottom about WHY you need to stay off of the dunes

2. second panel--sharks

shark graphic

--tips for avoiding sharks

--website for more info

small paragraph on how unusual shark attacks are, lightning kills more people each year, etc.

3. third panel--turtles

--turtle graphic

--turtle nest info and tips on avoiding disturbing the turtles

--website for more info

small paragraph at the bottom on why turtles are important

Back cover--hurricane preparedness

--hurricane graphic
--tips on preparedness
--website for info

small paragraph on info sources

Just Add Water

Beach Crab
Jul 16, 2005
Are people just stupid or what? We have only recently purchased land on 30-A but we have always known what damage walking on the dunes can do. I wonder if the Photographers could be fined. The are aware of the laws I fell sure but yet they continue to break them. I know I have seen beach patrols get people off the dunes how often do they patrol and could they actually start ticketing people. It probably wouldn't take many people getting a written warning even to get the point across. Also, as far as poeple being on others damaged property surely they can be fined for tresspassing if they are caught.

In the Sand

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Columbus,GA
Love all of your ideas and would be love to have something official to frame for our home. When we went down last Monday to remove the boards and access the damage, I wrote a note for our renters and left it on the refrigerator. Our walkover is being rebuilt but we have little of our dune left. Seeing the beach further devastated by Dennis was gut wrenching. I'm praying for us all.

Has anyone been to London and heard the phrase "Mind the Gap"? It's the phrase that has caught on with Londoners and tourists about being careful about the gap between the platform and the subway trains. The t shirts that simply say Mind the Gap on them are sought after by tourists. One catch phrase that sums it all that becomes used by locals, owners, and tourists is what is needed. Make it into a t shirt that even the teens will want and you could maybe make some definite progress.

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions to this board and to the wonderful beaches of 30-A.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Sea Turtle said:
I asked someone at the Tourist Council, "Why are these signs so mamby pamby? They don't really say to stay OFF the dunes, and what's with not trampling the vegetation? We haven't had any since Ivan. You can save these, just give me the ones that say "STAY OFF THE DUNES, THIS MEANS YOU". The gal at the desk just giggled and said (I kid you not) Oh, Walton County is mamby pamby about everything. They want to be PC and not put up signs that may be too offensive to tourists"

How's this one, Walton County-

"Keep off the dunes. Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again" .

Okay. Okay.
I'll tone it down a bit. How's This:

"Mind the Dunes"
(or you'll be shot)

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Kurt since you run a business down there and have some connections (I assume)...how about T-shirts with a catchy phrase or slogan about staying of the dunes and sold with all the proceeds going to some beach restoration/conservation fund? Just a thought not for profit of course.......

Seahorse

Beach Comber
Jul 16, 2005
Seagrove-most of the time
Ok, I'm new to this post but I am passionate about this topic. As a 30A property owner and naturalist-minded person it kills me when I see kids/adults blatently on the dunes. I too have fallen into the beachmeanie catagory at times with people, including my own guests at times, treating me like I'm nuts. All of the ideas here are great. So, how can we put something into action?

Personally, I think one immediate help might be the idea some wise person put forth about tagging every renters keys with a sign/flyer about the dunes. I have friends at two of the rental agencies and would be willing to start this "campaign" by discussing this with them (rental agencies) and getting them on board, making the flyers, and distributing them. Is anyone else game to help with this? Email me offline and we can form a committee of sorts. Really, we need to do something and I am willing to start even if it's in this small way if we think it might help.

Seahorse

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Educating the guests to the area via the tourist board and rental agencies are great ideas! But let's not forget all the other folks in the area, especially people who own homes.

I have seen people that own homes in an area, and should know better, trample Private gulf front property in front of them to get to the beach even when a public access was near by. A few of them (no, not all) have a sort of 'entitlement' attitude that they can go to the beach any darn way they please. This attitude may be more difficult to address. I have asked some folks to please not walk through private property (compact sand and vegetation are important in stopping erosion, also) and some of the things I have heard would make Madonna blush. Overall, though, the majority of folks do use the access. We just need to reach the people that don't!

"Please walk the extra few feet and use the public access"

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
The billboard (small) idea is good at both ends of 30-A. (and of course near the dunes!)

You guys have some great ideas bubbling in those brains. I would like to remind you that billboards in South Walton are against the scenic corridor code, whether they are big or small.

I seem to remember Kurt presenting the idea which I really like which includes a framed list of stuff to remember. While my thought may already be included in his thinking, I will throw it out there. Playing on the framed idea, for every important preservation idea, sea turtles, dunes, trash, perma-tents, etc., we could have an individual framed photo and small sentence or two beneath the photo for each reminder. The photo could show the beauty of the benefits instead of the detriments. e.g.- for the dunes, we would have a photo, maybe a 5x7, of the beautiful dunes, which people are sure to look at, and below could be the tag line, "To save our precious dunes which help to protect our community from major storms, we must remember to go around them."

The basic concept is to remind the reader that we are a community and need their help in order to save it. We want to them to see the postive picture of their good deeds. The beautiful photos are sure to grab attention, and keeping the message very short, everyone is sure to read it. The photo notes would be great for kitchens, hallways, bathrooms, bedrooms, etc - any small wall that is seen in a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.