• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Smiling JOe said:
I remember coming from Niceville to SoWal on Hwy 20, when I saw a playground filled with folks in prison suits, the big bus, guards with guns, etc. Would you feel awkward iif you were at the playground with your kids when they showed up? I felt a little freaked out just thinking about it. Put criminals n a field growing vegetables, and leave the trash collection on the beach to me.

I think my kids are probably just as at risk from people who've not been convicted yet, as they are from those who have, but I can certainly understand and respect your point of view.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
i may be wrong, but i thought they didnt let the super-baddies out for that kind of work detail, or do they? i heard it was considered a bit of a perk to be able to get "off campus" as such, which helps keep them in line. (<cough> along with the guard with the big gun :roll: ) they don't bother me, but i guess i'm a city girl..

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
Smiling JOe said:
I remember coming from Niceville to SoWal on Hwy 20, when I saw a playground filled with folks in prison suits, the big bus, guards with guns, etc. Would you feel awkward iif you were at the playground with your kids when they showed up? I felt a little freaked out just thinking about it. Put criminals n a field growing vegetables, and leave the trash collection on the beach to me.
Work details are prettty common up here, particularly along interstates (litter picking), doesn't bother most folks. A prison complex may 50 mi south of us (med & high security) lets "honor" inmates tend surrounding farm (owned by complex), livestock. Production from farm feeds inmates, they get out of the pokey during the day, everybody wins. Walkaways pretty rare, though it does happen. Grew up maybe 5-6 mi from there. Never heard of anybody making it to the top of the nearby hill (only way out - all woods) before they were nabbed.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
Sueshore said:
MOONWALK....YES!

DUNEWALK...NO!

That's a great slogan! I think a campaign with a good slogan would be extremely helpful in getting awareness out about the fragile dunes. There could even be bumper stickers and sun visors with the slogan for people to use.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
Here about this one:

"Enjoy our Sun, our Sand and Sea,
But our Dunes are People Free."

(Paid for by The Concerned Locals Whose Homes are Washing Away.)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Back

Keep Off Dunes
FL. Statute

161.053(2)

Front

logo-sowal-14-100.jpg

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
katmoo said:
i may be wrong, but i thought they didnt let the super-baddies out for that kind of work detail, or do they? i heard it was considered a bit of a perk to be able to get "off campus" as such, which helps keep them in line. (<cough> along with the guard with the big gun :roll: ) they don't bother me, but i guess i'm a city girl..

I hear you, but what if there were about 30 prisoners who came to clean this small fenced-in playground and you and your kids were the only others around on this not-so-often-traveled road? I would have to think most people would be somewhat concerned and get out of there.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Smiling JOe said:

If they were federal prisoners, they were non-violent offenders from the infamous (and now shuttered) "Club Fed" on Eglin AFB. The Club Fed detainees also did a lot of work on the Eglin golf course and with the base animal shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.