• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
Just educate them. Most people are ignorant to the importance of the dunes.
When I was learning to dive, everyone spoke about the saftey of the coral reefs. Every rental home, condo, hotel room, restaurant, store etc, should paticipant in some sort of save the dunes program and sign posting.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
That's the point Martin. We need education but how to do it is the problem. We have no ability to get the county or even the state to launch a campaign. Further down the thread, we talked about the hassles of getting things done by government. So it's up to the locals to do it. Someone has posted a great list of important things to know for renters but will they read them if it's too long? Who knows?

We do need a campaign but what type? Who will organize it? It takes a lot of work and support and even money to print up signs, posters etc. We need people to understand this issue NOW. With so few beach accesses open, guess how people will be getting down to the beach. :eek: We're out of time and down to prayers here. If 10 visitors see a T-Shirt that I'm wearing and "get it" - that's 20 less feet tearing up the dunes.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Cork On the Ocean said:
If 10 visitors see a T-Shirt that I'm wearing and "get it" - that's 20 less feet tearing up the dunes.
More feet than that because they, too, will educate others.
It would take time and effort, but we could sell local ads to be on the shirts along with the catch phrase regarding the dunes/cliffs. Of course SoWal.com would be stamped on all of the shirts. If you have 3-5 different catch phrases, you could encourage people to purchase more than one shirt. Shirts could be sold for $3 over costs to encourage everyone to buy at least one, with all proceeds going towards the costs of the marketing materials. This would have to be done on a voluntary basis. We could even have a T-shirt design contest, which was promoted in local papers and at local businesses. Blah, blah, blah. I am reading some great ideas on this thread, and mine are just a bit of things which I see other events already doing.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
hi
i visit grayton every year, and grew up going to the beach. i never lived there, but i certainly know that you shouldn't walk on the dunes. i assumed that those folks who didn't know this, read the sign, and followed the rules, regardless of whether or not they knew WHY to stay off the dunes. guess i'm naive.

anyway, my suggestion would be to put information in the rental properties. advise the guests of why the dunes are important and how easily they are eroded...especially after storms...you could do a big folk arty painting, a little picture book, a memo form, attach pictures of houses falling because of erosion in the front of the guest book that some properties have, etc

just a thought. I'll keep staying off the dunes myself...

;-)

reece

Santa Rosa Pete

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2005
ATL & SRB
I'm rapidly developing a reputation as a Dune Nazi around the Gulfview Heights walkover in SRB because I have no hesitancy to put my beer down, climb outta my beach chair, and tell people the dunes are off-limits -- especially when it's ADULTS sliding down the dunes with kids.

I must say, though, I have never gotten a resistant reaction from anybody. In many cases, you see a light bulb go off in their head and they sheepishly apologize, look away, and say something along the lines of, "Oh ... sorry. I didn't know." I'm nice when I approach them -- but fully prepared to get stern, if necessary. So far, no need to be stern.

I remember being a kid vacationing on Cape Cod and climbing up the dunes in West Dennis (ironic name, huh?) then rolling down as if they were a snowy hillside. It WAS irresistably fun but that was 40 years ago and we've learned a lot over the years about the fragile nature of the dunes.

I would encourage even the timid types who see dune marauders to be assertive. Take the approach of educating those who are simply having innocent fun -- but doing a lot of damage at the same time. All in all, I think people no more want to hurt a dune anymore than they'd want to hurt a puppy. Sometimes, they just don't think.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Rita said:
:idea: How about T-Shirts printed with something like "Remember to Stay Off the Dunes." or whatever ............ We all can purchase for wearing when we are at the beach - that could be a lot of signs and personal too :dunno: Just brainstorming here!

I often considered handing out flyers (not just for dune violations, but all sorts of violations of etiquette, law, and common sense) just so I don't have to say anything to them. (It ruins my beach experience to feel like a meanie, or a dogfly, as Kurt so aptly put it.)

I doubt the T-shirts would have any effect. The people who don't get the message ignore signs, so why would they read t-shirts? (Assuming they CAN read, of course.) :dunno:

martin said:
Just educate them. Most people are ignorant to the importance of the dunes.
When I was learning to dive, everyone spoke about the saftey of the coral reefs. Every rental home, condo, hotel room, restaurant, store etc, should paticipant in some sort of save the dunes program and sign posting.

I think you have reached the crux of the problem. The hotels, rental "management" companies seem not to care what the guests do, as long as they get their money. I think it might take legislation to make them give out a notice.

Should our next discussion be about people who ignore red flags and drown? :bang:

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
reece said:
hi
... i never lived there, but i certainly know that you shouldn't walk on the dunes. i assumed that those folks who didn't know this, read the sign, and followed the rules, regardless of whether or not they knew WHY to stay off the dunes. guess i'm naive. ...

P7100042_942175.JPG

You may have to go to my photo album and click on this photo to enlarge it so that you can see the obvious tire tracks next to these two signs posted at Grayton Beach State Park, at the edge of Grayton. The signs read "No vehicles allowed" and "Do not walk on dunes." Many people just don't give a hoot about no stinkin' rules, and other people are simply ignorant to the results of their actions. Photo taken July 10, 2005.

Tom Hallberg

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
Sea Turtle said:
I am very thankful that so many homes have pulled through Dennis with little or no damage. Sadly, this is not the case for all of us... my home included.

We have sustained significant damage and will be closed for months as we were after Ivan. The dunes have eroded away at least 20 feet and our decks are hanging on by threads.

How Can You Help?
Please DO NOT walk between the gulf front homes to go look at the beach. Any further erosion of sand could be disastrous. When the Ramsgate public access was washed away after Ivan, many people traipsed between, under and through our homes to get to the beach. This access is gone again and there is currently NO public beach access for the western aspect of Eastern Lake Road (including Summer's Edge). I am worried that if people attempt to get to the beach through our homes, we could lose even more footing. :sosad: Please help. Thanks.
Sea Turtle:

My parents own "Beach Baby" just down from you. Do you happen to have any photo's of the beach in front of it? They are down there this week attempting to assess the damage and clean up...

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
It would be effective to have two billboards on each end of 30-A as you enter the area, with a catchy slogan that people will remember. Billboards are eyecatching, and nearly all visitors will pass by them, see them, and take note.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
MOONWALK....YES!

DUNEWALK...NO!

Good question about the red flags...just how do you keep people off the dunes when they willingly disregard red flags, go in the water and drown? Unfortunately, there are plenty of people for whom the rules don't apply to them. Thanks to everyone on dune patrol!

Status
Not open for further replies.