• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Turtle,

Which one of those is yours?

jennyrae

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2005
So sorry SeaTurtle. I know your area well and have seen photos of some of the damage, which I am sure do not begin to do it justice. I guess that new walkover built after Ivan is gone. it sure looked sturdy.

I am just now going through more photos posted here and am stunned by what I see. It looks like in some places, literally feet of beach is gone. I am talking about feet from the ground up, as best I can tell from some of the pictures. It looks like layers of sand is gone. And the dunes )o:

I will still be back as soon as I can get down there. Good luck in your rebuilding.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Landlocked said:
You need to put something across there so folks won't go through there. Like some barbed wire or something. Sorry for your loss, just be glad you have a place down there!
I think you may have to upgrade to razor wire. That barbed wire is for the cows. We are talking hard headed people without any understanding of the damage they cause. Sign? What sign? Oh, no, I did not see that sign or, I just wanted to look. :evil:

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Sea Turtle - so sorry about your house.

One of biggest gripes I have with tourists is that some completely act like it is their right to slide down the dunes because they pay big bucks to stay on the beach. The dunes affect us all!!!

Thanks to all that help being a "beach meanie" - we are only trying to help in restoration. I live north of 30-A and may have beach front property in about 5 years if we can't stop this.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
No matter how kindly I am to folks on the beach, SOME look at me like I'm a dog fly. :lol:

I tried to convince a local last year not to have her wedding in the dunes. I got nowhere. :roll: A disturbing trend is more and more people taking family portraits in the dunes. I've seen groups of 2 dozen climbing over them.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Do you look like a dogfly, Kurt? Sorry, left yourself open.

Basically, I think we all know that its purely ignorance about the importance of the dunes on most peoples part. They are clueless why it says "Keep off the dunes" . They are clueless that digging and leaving huge holes on the beach can endanger anything. I actually saw someone pulling up seaoats in Clearwater once.

Education, which is what you are doing here, is very important and now that theres so many people on the board, you can reach more people and they will tell others to get the $#@% of the dunes.

The only other thing I can think of is signs (lots of them) that impose a fine for walking on the dunes rather than a polite "keep off the dunes." Remember when your parents told you not to do something and you just had to do it? Does anyone know if the county has the authority to impose a fine?

Maybe an avatar that says "Please don't walk on our dunes, they protect our homes" or "they are crucial to our beach restoration" - something similar that tells them why they should keep off.

Until them, I will also continue to be a beach meanie in a friendly way.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
050712-dennis-078.jpg

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Thanks.

HARM TO RESOURCE or POTENTIAL FOR HARM
FINE RANGE
Major
$5,000 - $10,000
Moderate
$1,000 - $5,000
Minor
0 - $1,000

Only concern is the definition of "harm to resource" - Unless I picked up an old copy of the statute, looks like they need to redefine "harm to resource"

(3) ?Harm to Resource? is an actual or potential impact, whether direct or indirect, short or long term, which is expected to occur as a result of construction.

Dont know if they could make that stick for walking on the dunes. Also, the statute states that the violation must be "knowing" or "willful". Apparently, ignorance is an excuse. Might need the politicians to look at that.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Cork On the Ocean said:
Do you look like a dogfly, Kurt? Sorry, left yourself open.

Basically, I think we all know that its purely ignorance about the importance of the dunes on most peoples part. They are clueless why it says "Keep off the dunes" . They are clueless that digging and leaving huge holes on the beach can endanger anything. I actually saw someone pulling up seaoats in Clearwater once.

Well, many of the signs don't even say that! They get cute by saying "These Dunes Aren't Made for Walking", (a cutsy reference to a 60's song that probably many people don't even remember. ) We need signs that say something more like:

"Do Not Walk on the Dunes. Anyone caught walking on dune will be ticketed and fined. THIS MEANS YOU!"

Put them on both sides of the walkovers, part way up the dune. Some people think it's ok to walk on the dune next to the walkover!

And while we are at it, we need: "Notice to Non-Residents: No Dogs on Beach."

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.