• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
Eventually what inside will come out! I have never believed Robert Davis' pious speech of environmental and family friendly concern. Every available inch of land has been used for profit, squeezing the roads as small as possible, not providing adequate parking, etc. Using the county easement for parking regardless of even safety concerns, much less why can?t he provide his own? Building office buildings on existing parking areas, much less being handicapped accessible. Try parking close to the pool for example. You have to park in someone?s place who actually pays rent or a mortgage, just to take the kids to swim lessons! I don?t think he?s environmentally friendly, or family friendly, just greedy!

amen. i'm not buying his pr spin either.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Eventually what inside will come out! I have never believed Robert Davis' pious speech of environmental and family friendly concern. Every available inch of land has been used for profit, squeezing the roads as small as possible, not providing adequate parking, etc. Using the county easement for parking regardless of even safety concerns, much less why can?t he provide his own? Building office buildings on existing parking areas, much less being handicapped accessible. Try parking close to the pool for example. You have to park in someone?s place who actually pays rent or a mortgage, just to take the kids to swim lessons! I don?t think he?s environmentally friendly, or family friendly, just greedy!

What I think is being overlooked by you is that Seaside was designed, not for the public, but for its owners. It was planned as a self-sustaining community specifically for its owners, not a town where the public comes to shop and use the pool and beaches. If you study urban communities such as this, you will find that the narrow streets provide a natural defense to speeding vehicles. Seaside is also a community which is planned as a place where owners park their car when they arrive, and not have to get back into it until they leave. From the fartherest house to town center is no more than 1/4 mile. The pools were built for the owners, not the public pool for SoWal. The houses are on such tight lots as a plan not only to maximum profits, but to also give a feeling of community where you can sit on your front porch and talk to everyone walking down the street.

You say all of this about Davis being greedy and not leaving any room for the public, but I seem to recall you promoting your own acre of land which you were pushing the notion that you could get 8 lots on it. I don't blame you for doing so, but simply note that in general, people want to receive the greatest value for their property, and I don't think that Davis is any more greedy than the rest of the people trying to get the most out of their own property.

Dreamsicle

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Nashville/Seaside
If you study urban communities such as this, you will find that the narrow streets provide a natural defense to speeding vehicles. Seaside is also a community which is planned as a place where owners park their car when they arrive, and not have to get back into it until they leave. From the fartherest house to town center is no more than 1/4 mile. The pools were built for the owners, not the public pool for SoWal. The houses are on such tight lots as a plan not only to maximum profits, but to also give a feeling of community where you can sit on your front porch and talk to everyone walking down the street.

:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
of course he can do whatever he wants! he owns it! the point that was made was that he's made a huge pr game out of saying the development is done with some kind of environmental/design philosophy in mind. while he is welcome to use that as a rationalization, why would anyone who is paying attention or educated actually believe it?

exactly what is "self-sustaining" about seaside? it's a little resort area. fi the world blew up around it could it provide it's own power? their own food? heck..could they provide their own accountants or drycleaning?the "urban development" idea here is really just an excuse for building more houses. narrow streets are great when it's a pedestrian friendly environment or there's public transport. sorry, having lived in real urban communities around the world, it's like they've taken the worst parts of urban living and left the best parts out.

Last edited:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Geez, what a bunch of armchair urban planners.

I think the key 'environmental' issue that some of you are overlooking here is density.

Sprawl- endless acres of huge yards, asphalt roads and infastructure eating up vast amounts of farm or natural land is a big threat to the environment.

Higher density communities which cater to pedestrians, and not the automobile is what Seaside, Rosemary, Alys are all attempting to re-establish in American urban planning thinking.

Seaside isn't supposed to have great expanses of mall parking, and I for one like the inconvenience of it.

But more importantly, for all of you complaining about Seaside -why the heck do you go there then? Destin Commons has plenty of parking.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

I think the key 'environmental' issue that some of you are overlooking here is density.

Sprawl- endless acres of huge yards, asphalt roads and infastructure eating up vast amounts of farm or natural land is a big threat to the environment.

Higher density communities which cater to pedestrians, and not the automobile is what Seaside, Rosemary, Alys are all attempting to re-establish in American urban planning thinking.

Seaside isn't supposed to have great expanses of mall parking, and I for one like the inconvenience of it.

But more importantly, for all of you complaining about Seaside -why the heck do you go there then? Destin Commons has plenty of parking.[/quote]

I was getting ready to ask the same thing! :roll:

beachbob

Beach Comber
Apr 29, 2007
i like what seaside is doing, and i understand urban development. one thing that seaside and these other developments are forgetting is saving half of their property for greenspace. high density makes sense only when surrounding property is left natural and undisturbed. if every developer maximizes density without setting aside land to remain undeveloped forever, it doesn't work because there is no open farm land, or woods, etc.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006

But more importantly, for all of you complaining about Seaside -why the heck do you go there then? Destin Commons has plenty of parking.

i've lived in high density cities most of my life. doesn't bother me at all.
but there has to be an actual city with actual city infrastructure.

density is fine if there's something to walk to besides other people's houses. can you walk to the grocery store in seaside or rosemary or alys? can you walk to the doctor's office? the dry cleaners? the bank? the library?

no..you need your car. that's why people are complaining about the lack of infrastructure for cars. you can't just SAY it's a "new urban" pedestrian town. it has to actually BE one.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
i've lived in high density cities most of my life. doesn't bother me at all.
but there has to be an actual city with actual city infrastructure.

density is fine if there's something to walk to besides other people's houses. can you walk to the grocery store in seaside or rosemary or alys? can you walk to the doctor's office? the dry cleaners? the bank? the library?

no..you need your car. that's why people are complaining about the lack of infrastructure for cars. you can't just SAY it's a "new urban" pedestrian town. it has to actually BE one.
mf, you are very high density. It's vacation town, not downtown.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I spoke with David Biegler a few days ago and he told me Hurricane Oyster bar is reopening in Mystic Port. I think he is opening in June on the opening day of Hurricane Season; apt. While we were working on opening the Taco Bar a lot of folks said they missed the old Hurricane Oyster Bar. It is great news they are opening up again. There's no place for oysters on 30-A anymore and It will be great to have them open again. Good luck Dave B,. Dave R.

I think david is up to something over at the Mystic port! i also see he's poured a patio or something outside for maybe some seating? he (david) is always pretty closed mouthed about his doings! but It would be nice to see the old hurricane bar up and running!