• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Because many people feel a connection with Seaside. It's a place where folks honeymooned, or had a first vacation with their children. People have a kinship with the place.

Personally, I think what they are doing, not only with the kiosks, but with the whole property, is borderline-criminal.

Well, for what it is worth, we had dinner at Rendevous tonight and it was expanded and better than ever. I was more upset to see Hurricanes Oyster Bar go than the see the little kiosks fall to be honest. But I think you nailed it, many people feel anything at Seaside is hallowed ground and will be sick to see some demolition.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Because many people feel a connection with Seaside. It's a place where folks honeymooned, or had a first vacation with their children. People have a kinship with the place.

Personally, I think what they are doing, not only with the kiosks, but with the whole property, is borderline-criminal.

I think you're right on the mark about that. Those kiosks were part of the charming, quirky Seaside that seems to have given way to an increasingly corporate big-box mentality that is so far opposed to the original vision of 20+ years ago. That's what makes it sad, not that re-useable materials were carelessly destroyed (although that's an issue too :sosad: ).

ellen

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2005
You mean the kiosks that had been at the ampitheatre and were moved to the croquet lawn over a year ago were demolished? It was silly that they were moved and then sat there empty on that lawn for over a year. Maybe that temporary move was to soften the blow of that huge new building in Seaside being built?? It (the big yellow building) looks better than expected, by the way. It would not upset me to see those kiosks gone. They crowded the green space of the lawn and were odd sitting back there empty. I imagine that the wedding and event planners at Seaside would find no real use for them. They bring in tents, and the only restrooms are at the pool. The tennis center has to use the facilities at the little family pool!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
and why worry about that isolated wetland when there's a bigger one that has already been filled in? Is that the logic?

That is not my perspective at all. My perspective is that none of it is good, yet I've never read a single word on this message board regarding the waste of materials in construction dumpsters around here. I don't even hear talk about it on the street, unless I am talking with Alys Beach's Environmental guy. Maybe these buildings are just a little prettier than a bunch of debris in the garbage, but the initial point rasied by you was, "Do we have an award on this web site for the most un-green act of the year? If not, I propose we start one. I nominate Seaside."

My point is that if you think that because of Seaside demo'ing about 8 kiosks wins them the "most un-green act of the year," you are walking around with your eyes closed. Wake Up!

Personally, I think the idiots in charge of the decision to rent a heavy piece of yellow equipment and pay someone to demo and remove the debris is a complete waste of money, especially when they could have sold them for $3K each and required the buyers to remove them at their own expense.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
That is not my perspective at all. My perspective is that none of it is good, yet I've never read a single word on this message board regarding the waste of materials in construction dumpsters around here. I don't even hear talk about it on the street, unless I am talking with Alys Beach's Environmental guy. Maybe these buildings are just a little prettier than a bunch of debris in the garbage, but the initial point rasied by you was, "Do we have an award on this web site for the most un-green act of the year? If not, I propose we start one. I nominate Seaside."

My point is that if you think that because of Seaside demo'ing about 8 kiosks wins them the "most un-green act of the year," you are walking around with your eyes closed. Wake Up!

Personally, I think the idiots in charge of the decision to rent a heavy piece of yellow equipment and pay someone to demo and remove the debris is a complete waste of money, especially when they could have sold them for $3K each and required the buyers to remove them at their own expense.

You got it. A classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Those kiosks--no matter what their condition--could have been auctioned off and the money gone to a good cause (or even a good party; who cares). People are amazingly and wonderfully sentimental and those kiosks would have gone like hotcakes. Dumbos~!

jessifunn

superJfunn
Jul 7, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Well, for what it is worth, we had dinner at Rendevous tonight and it was expanded and better than ever. I was more upset to see Hurricanes Oyster Bar go than the see the little kiosks fall to be honest. But I think you nailed it, many people feel anything at Seaside is hallowed ground and will be sick to see some demolition.
when you say rendevous expanded lets be honest...they put some planters out front .... you are eating in the parking lot.

the old hurricane oyster bar sign is up in grayton by that shoe store. it looks like some work is being done inside one of those spaces. anyone know if they are opening it up over there??

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I think you're right on the mark about that. Those kiosks were part of the charming, quirky Seaside that seems to have given way to an increasingly corporate big-box mentality that is so far opposed to the original vision of 20+ years ago. That's what makes it sad, not that re-useable materials were carelessly destroyed (although that's an issue too :sosad: ).

Click on the different "views (Fusion & Sundog Porch)" listed under "Seaside Florida" in this link for some memories of the way it was not too long ago. (Right click for "Full Screen" and use mouse to zoom--pretty nicely done site.)

http://www.idyll-by-the-sea.com/one/photos.html#ModicaMarket

Last edited:

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
I think david is up to something over at the Mystic port! i also see he's poured a patio or something outside for maybe some seating? he (david) is always pretty closed mouthed about his doings! but It would be nice to see the old hurricane bar up and running!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think david is up to something over at the Mystic port! i also see he's poured a patio or something outside for maybe some seating? he (david) is always pretty closed mouthed about his doings! but It would be nice to see the old hurricane bar up and running!

:clap_1: ...yes, this would be super good news!!! Keep us posted!