• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
From WJHG... KUDOS to Sheriff McKeithen

It is my understanding that you can be fined or arrested.

The Bay County Commission this morning, at the urging of Sheriff Frank McKeithen, adopted an emergency ordinance allowing violators of the double red flags to be arrested.
There have been several hundred rescues and 10 drownings at Panama City Beach this year, many of them while double red flags are flying indicating the beaches are closed to swimmers.
Life Guards, Police and Rescue workers say many swimmers went right back in the water after being instructed to get out.
The County commission adopted the emergency ordinance by unanimous 4 to 0 vote. Commission Jerry Girvin was absent because of a broken leg.
The Ordinance took affect when it was adopted shortly after nine this morning.

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
Typical, the CC's stepping out of their jurisdiction. Once your past the Demarcation line its State Law jurisdiction. They can only enforce State Law not county. A Lawsuit waiting to happen. For all of us waterman it's gonna be a big hassle. If they pulled their heads out of their arses years ago and addressed the Life Guard problem they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now. Being an Ex-Coastie where in the hell are they at? It sucks that policy can only be changed when someone dies!!!! I have pulled enough alive and dead people out of the water and it sickens me that the CC's are just trying to cover their own arsses:bang::bang::bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bay County = up to 60 days in the slammer, and up to $500 fine per occurrence.

GRS, I don't think it applies to surfers on tethered boards.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I personally think that the last thing we need is yet another ordinance to deal with this. I think the "Baker Act" ( There must be evidence that the person a) has a mental illness (as defined in the Baker Act) and b) is a harm to self, harm to others, or self neglectful (as defined in the Baker Act). Examinations may last up to 72 hours) could be used for this just as easily. But with revenues down state wide this is just another way to pad the coffers at the expense of visitors.

Last edited:

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007

Hey scooter bug

not all of them are Idiots, sure the ones that go back in after being dragged out or told by authorities it's unsafe should be baker acted or jailed for their own safety but. Even i a very good swimmer and long time resident went Boogie boarding with some family at mexico bch which is part of bay county and their were no red flags to be seen on that day (the same day 2 people drowned on pc beach)and i saw and helped out several tourist and local people get back in and i personally went around to families with small children and elderly to warn them there was a strong undertow and educate them about it. As Floridians i think more of us that go to the beach alot should do this as well. sure you will get some peolple who still don't care. but just think we may save a life of a non informed A.K.A Idiot oneday!!!. case in point read this Editorial. thank you Tim O

VIEWPOINTS: Red-flag warnings don’t reach everyone

Comments 0 | Recommend 7
August 14, 2008 08:00:00 AM
My brother-in-law was one of those who drowned recently. All last week, we read comment after comment about how stupid he and the others who drowned or nearly drowned were to go into the water when the double-red flags were posted. How easy it is to be smug and self-righteous - until it is your loved one who is pulled lifeless out of the surf.
I assure you my brother-in-law was neither reckless nor stupid. The truth is that none of us saw those flags. They are so far back up onto the beach that they cannot be seen from the deck of our rental house or even from the dunes. They can only be seen from the beach itself, and not by looking straight down the beach but by turning around and looking back at an angle. My sister and brother-in-law looked for the flags as they were walking down to the water and didn't see them. So, thinking that perhaps this area of the beach had no flags, and seeing several people including children in the water, they proceeded with their swim. If either had seen the flags, they would not have gone in and our family tragedy would have been avoided.
I realize that there are many people who deliberately ignore the warnings, and it is impossible to save everyone from their own stupidity. But you must also realize that the warnings are not getting to everyone on the beach. Yes, the public accesses have a list of the flag colors and what they mean, but that is not good enough. Every beachfront rental property should be required to have the same signs posted on their private beach access as well, plus an arrow pointing in the direction of the nearest flag. It shouldn't be that expensive or difficult to implement, and it could save lives.
Loa Sweat, Houston

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Sorry, I stand by my statement that they are idiots.

Part of the reason that the Sheriff wanted the ordinance is because people WHO ARE FULLY AWARE OF THE FLAG CONDITIONS go right back in the water after being personally informed of the danger and that they shouldn't be in there by lifeguards, police, etc.

I do not personally know how pervasive the flag poles and warnings are on the Panama City beaches, but it takes a special kind of oblivious to miss them on the Sowal beaches. After the Seagrove drowning reports and subsequent discussion I specifically checked flag visibility and could easily see 5 flags (3 to the west, 2 to the east).

IMO people are either idiots because they knowingly ignore the warnings or because they are so unconcerned about their safety and their family's safety that they don't bother to find out basic safety info.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
One shouldn't need a flag to tell them that big@ss waves could be deadly.

Here is the Walton County Code of Ordinances:

ARTICLE IV. REGULATION OF RECREATIONAL BEACH AND WATER ACTIVITIES*

Sec. 22-54. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach and water bodies.
(h) Swimming and surfing.

(1) Authority to close or restrict use of beach and water bodies.

(2) The director of emergency operations, or the Walton County Sheriff's Department shall have the authority to declare that an emergency exists and temporarily close or restrict the use of the beach and adjacent waters for use by the public when conditions endangering the safety of the public are present.

(3) It shall be a violation of this article for any person, having been given actual or constructive notice such as by the posting of signs or the making of public announcements, to violate any restriction or order given under the terms of this section. Those persons surfing as defined herein with a surfboard attached to the surfer by a leash are exempt from this section.

Surfing means the riding or paddling of a surfboard within the waters of the Gulf of Mexico abutting or adjacent to the beach.

Sec. 22-61. Penalty. (a) Any person found in violation of the above provisions shall face the following civil penalties. Any person to whom a citation is issued shall pay the fine by the designated date or appear in county court at the time, date, and location designated in the citation.

(b) Minimum civil penalties for violations of this section not otherwise listed below are as follows:

(1) First violation--$100.00.

(2) Second violation--$200.00.

(3) Third and subsequent violations--Fine up to $500.00 and/or up to 60 days in jail.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
According to Shallowsnole, the Clerk of Court office was inundated with people po'd about getting a $100. ticket at the beach. Finally, there are teeth behind the warnings.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
One shouldn't need a flag to tell them that big@ss waves could be deadly.

I would have thought the same thing, but on a trip to another beach last year, I was shocked at the size of the waves and the resulting strength. However, on that particular beach, it was considered only a yellow flag situation and not unsafe to swim in. I could only imagine that people who have been to beaches such as that one, would look at the physical appearance of our red flag conditions and think it looked very mild in comparison. It's the unseen conditions that are the problem.

Now, if someone actually has an officer walk up to them and tell them the conditions are deadly and they get back in... well... that's just beyond stupid.