• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalProfire

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2008
www.local3516.com
I have been a firefighter in SoWal for over 7 years. In that time I have personally been involved in many water rescues. A successful rescue IMO is one that ends with the rescuee and the rescuer safely on the beach and no one dies. Unfortunately, not all rescues end this way.

Rescuees have died or been transported to the hospital in critical condition. These are typically folks who are here on vacation (but, not always); Joe, Mary and the kids freshly arrived from Kentucky to have a little fun on our beautiful beaches. Joe and Mary saved for six months to take this family vacation and if their kids want to swim, then "By God! I am gonna let 'em!" (I have heard this direct quote from a father angry with a firefighter for telling Joe that the water was closed due to the rough surf conditions. Even after the firefighter pointed out that on that same day 6 people had drowned, so far). June 8th, Black Sunday, Bad day.

Rescuers have nearly drowned attempting to save someone. A number of Firefighters, Paramedics, EMTs and Sheriffs Officers have been transported to the hospital. Nearly drowned while risking their lives to save others. MOST of whom knew full well what the flags meant. People who ignore the flags and get into trouble because of it, are a danger to themselves and every member of this community. While we are all on the beach performing water rescues or trying to revive the rescuees brought out by the lifeguards, who is responding to traffic accidents, medical emergencies and fires. This type of lunacy strains our resources.

Whether the problem is jurisdictional or educational, I am glad someone is doing something about it. The BCBCC actions will no doubt save lives. The lives of both the public and the emergency personnel responsible for maintaining their safety. And I gotta tell ya, that makes me smile.:D:D

Last edited:

SoWalProfire

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2008
www.local3516.com
I personally think that the last thing we need is yet another ordinance to deal with this. I think the "Baker Act" ( There must be evidence that the person a) has a mental illness (as defined in the Baker Act) and b) is a harm to self, harm to others, or self neglectful (as defined in the Baker Act). Examinations may last up to 72 hours) could be used for this just as easily. But with revenues down state wide this is just another way to pad the coffers at the expense of visitors.

I am against using the Baker Act for this purpose. If these law breakers are Baker Acted in SoWal, SWFD ambulances will be required to transport them to out of county facilities like Bridgeway (FWB), Baptist behavioral (Pensacola), or Bay Medical (Bay County). On a typical double red day this would mean there would be NO ambulances available for SoWal residents or visitors who REALLY need our services. Not to mention, who would provide EMS care to the rest of the drowning masses?

Just arrest their butts and keep 'em in the clink till the seas are calm.:D

Last edited:

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
I am against using the Baker Act for this purpose. If these law breakers are Baker Acted in SoWal, SWFD ambulances will be required to transport them to out of county facilities like Bridgeway (FWB), Baptist behavioral (Pensacola), or Bay Medical (Bay County). On a typical double red day this would mean there would be NO ambulances available for SoWal residents or visitors who REALLY need our services. Not to mention, who would provide EMS care to the rest of the drowning masses?

Just arrest their butts and keep 'em in the clink till the seas are calm.:D
Really, Is how our narrow minded Fire Department thinks? Obviously you don't know the first thing about water safety and rescue. Throw em jail? I'll remember this when you people call me to rescue people out of the water.
Rescuers have nearly drowned attempting to save someone. A number of Firefighters, Paramedics, EMTs and Sheriffs Officers have been transported to the hospital. Nearly drowned while risking their lives to save others
Why because your egos got in the way. Remember that most if any have zero water rescue training and you have been given those cool jet ski's with absolutely no training in big surf conditions. I have several years life guard experience and 6 years as a rough water coxswain and as a rescue swimmer in the Coast Guard and 35 years of surfing experience all over the world including Mavericks and wiamea Bay Hawaii. My point is this, if your gonna shoot your mouth of on this site ya damn well better know what the hell your talking about. Remember the life you save may be your own!

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
GRS, I understand the point of arresting over comittal. The baker act is for people who are a danger to themselves and others due to mental issues and does not include stubborness. It also requires a 72 hour hold in a mental facility. I think over night in the Defuniak Inn would do much better. They can also arrest them take them to the 331 annex and wait until enough idiots are ready to go north.

There's clearly some other issue involved here and I'm not gonna touch that with a 10 foot stick.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
Really, Is how our narrow minded Fire Department thinks? Obviously you don't know the first thing about water safety and rescue. Throw em jail? I'll remember this when you people call me to rescue people out of the water. Why because your egos got in the way. Remember that most if any have zero water rescue training and you have been given those cool jet ski's with absolutely no training in big surf conditions. I have several years life guard experience and 6 years as a rough water coxswain and as a rescue swimmer in the Coast Guard and 35 years of surfing experience all over the world including Mavericks and wiamea Bay Hawaii. My point is this, if your gonna shoot your mouth of on this site ya damn well better know what the hell your talking about. Remember the life you save may be your own!

I agree with SWGB, there is more to this than meets the eye (post). Who are "you people" ? And does the SWFD/Lifeguards "call on" others to rescue people out of the water???:dunno:

SoWalProfire

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2008
www.local3516.com
Really, Is how our narrow minded Fire Department thinks? Obviously you don't know the first thing about water safety and rescue. Throw em jail? I'll remember this when you people call me to rescue people out of the water. Why because your egos got in the way. Remember that most if any have zero water rescue training and you have been given those cool jet ski's with absolutely no training in big surf conditions. I have several years life guard experience and 6 years as a rough water coxswain and as a rescue swimmer in the Coast Guard and 35 years of surfing experience all over the world including Mavericks and wiamea Bay Hawaii. My point is this, if your gonna shoot your mouth of on this site ya damn well better know what the hell your talking about. Remember the life you save may be your own!

Wow! You seem a little tense. Try a little yoga. Some daily exercise. Maybe a significant other. Xanax. Something...

I am so relieved to hear that god asks you for advice about water rescue! Wish you could have been there helping us on June 8th 2003. I'm sure no one would have drowned. And at a time when we didn't have lifeguards, when firefighters with very little or no training in high surf rescue were left with the choice of letting people die or swim, I am sure that you, single handedly, would have prevented our firefighters from entering the water. Whatever...

I believe the grudge you bare is because you believe I am talking about surfers when I say law breakers. If you read the previously posted BCBCC enacted ordnance, you will see that it exempts surfers. As do I. I am Sorry I wasn't more clear.

As a northern Gulf coastal resident of Florida for over 40 years, I have been fortunate enough to enjoy all water sports; swimming, diving, skiing, skimming, snorkeling, canoing, fishing, kayaking and yes, even surfing. From the time I was 16 till I was about 24 or so, I lost more part and full time jobs than I care to admit because I checked the surf on the way to work. Surfers rarely drown and I don't think I have ever responded to a surfer in trouble during double red flag conditions.

As to why our folks got into trouble while risking their lives to rescue others:
As I stated above, we had little to no experience or education in high surf rescue but were still expected to enter the water and attempt a rescue. I assure you that our egos had nothing to do with the matter. And though I can only speak for me, I am reasonably sure that implication will piss off many of the guys who risked their lives to save others on that particular day and others.

You also imply that I spoke out of school. That I didn't know what I was talking about. Because I was there, I can assure that I DO know what I was talking about. But I am less sure of these two things. 1) That you know what I was talking about. and 2) That you know what you are talking about.

Oh yeah, and I won't be calling you to rescue anyone out of the water. I don't even know who you are.:dunno:

What are we talking about?:blink:

Lemme guess; You've got world records, mate. (infer an Australian accent)

Last edited:

SoWalProfire

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2008
www.local3516.com
GRS, I understand the point of arresting over comittal. The baker act is for people who are a danger to themselves and others due to mental issues and does not include stubborness. It also requires a 72 hour hold in a mental facility. I think over night in the Defuniak Inn would do much better. They can also arrest them take them to the 331 annex and wait until enough idiots are ready to go north.

There's clearly some other issue involved here and I'm not gonna touch that with a 10 foot stick.

Amen, GB

I believe the other issue may be a personal thing. (that's why I added the last sentence to my post. pretty sure I know who GRS is)

SoWalProfire

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2008
www.local3516.com
Amen, GB

I believe the other issue may be a personal thing. (that's why I added the last sentence to my post. pretty sure I know who GRS is)

I stand corrected. GRS is not who I thought he was. And my apologies go out to the falsely accused party:blush:(Confirmed by phone call)(infer a confused accent):blink:

Whatever his issues are, he seems keen on taking shots at our firefighters (vicariously though it may be) through me.:dunno:

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I stand corrected. GRS is not who I thought he was. (Confirmed by phone call)(infer a confused accent):blink:

Whatever his issues are, he seems keen on taking shots at our firefighters (vicariously though it may be) through me.:dunno:

Please know that many of us on this board think that you and your department do an excellent job on our beaches. Thanks for the info and I hope y'all don't have to put yourselves in too much danger this weekend- stay safe!

beachwanabe

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Missouri
We were just at Seacrest Beach August 2nd to 16th, when there were drownings, double red flags, etc.... One thing that would help would be a telephone number listed in the rentals to get up to date beach flag/beach conditions before you decide to go to the beach. Not sure if this info is even available but I would use it before I went to the beach with my family. The info could also stress the importance of NOT GOING IN THE WATER.