• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Somewhere in my files of pics, I have photos of Walton County's Finest, issuing tickets to people who were swimming at Blue Mtn Beach when the waters were closed, after a big storm passed through in 2005. Other people who were nearby, went right back in the water after the Deputy passed by.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
One shouldn't need a flag to tell them that big@ss waves could be deadly.

Problem isn't so much the waves- people see the big ones and either stay out or see it as perfect surfing weather. What gets people down here are the rip currents, which take a fairly experienced eye to pick out from shore if you can see them at all.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Well scooter i guess it's good you are so smart and perfect that you would never make such a stupid mistake. but as i said an agree the INFORMED ones should be hauled off for endangering other people's lives. Also joe the waves were not very big on the day i was out there and i have seen it with much smaller waves and still a stong undertow and i have seen it change from yellow to red very quickly. but i guess the elderly person standing in knee high water (at yellow flag) who losses balance from the undertow and is suddenly swept out should have had the smarts to know it was getting more dangerous and was soon to be changed from yellow to red and then be hit with jail time and a big fine. you say that don't happen. It does at our state park alot . ive seen it where it may be 2 or 3 hours before it's changed to red and the park people notify you of it

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Let's not confuse people by mentioning "undertoe." What we have here are "rip-currents" Undertow pulls you under. Rip currents pull you seaward.

Jail time up to 60 days can come only on or after the third offense. I believe the idea of the rule is to keep people from drowning, and keep Emergency Responders from risking their own lives. The penalties are there only to help out the people who don't think that warnings apply.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am not perfect, but I AM tired of us spending millions to coddle people when a little common sense and responsibility would decimate or eliminate the problem.

You are assuming that the officials issuing these tickets have no discretion or brain cells - realistically, just as they can issue a ticket or a warning for a traffic violation, they can do the same for red flag violators.

All this does is add a little emphasis to what people should already know - in life and at the beach there are consequences for your actions, especially when those actions are in direct violation of rules and warnings.

Any swimmer should be aware of both their abilities/limitations and the current conditions/hazards.

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
Bay County = up to 60 days in the slammer, and up to $500 fine per occurrence.

GRS, I don't think it applies to surfers on tethered boards.
Bottom line is the CC's have overstepped their boundaries! It is not in their jurisdiction just like the beach armoring here. It is not in the CC's power to make these decisions. I guess everyone in this country has thrown Due Process under the BUS!!!!!!!! :bang::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
GRS, you bring up jurisdiction. I guess you think that no County representative, such as EMS crews and lifeguards, should cross the line and enter the water to attempt rescues? Does this also mean that the Sheriff's Dept shouldn't have jet skis to use in the Gulf?