• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
Schultz is the head of campus police in State College, Pennsylvania. They have the exact same powers as the municipal police department in State College, Pennsylvania. Based on that, Joe Paterno did go to the police, as well as his superior (the AD). This is one of the worst scandals I have ever seen, and it seems horrible to me that people are putting all this blame on the wrong person. Schulz, the AD, and McQueary all knew exactly what happened, and proactively worked to cover it up. Joe Paterno knew that something happened and reported it to the head of the police department that had jurisdiction.

http://www.police.psu.edu/statestatutes/

to exercise the same powers as are now or may hereafter be exercised under authority of law or ordinance by the police of the municipalities wherein the college or university is located, including, but not limited to, those powers conferred pursuant to 42 Pa.C.S. Ch. 89 Subch. D (relating to municipal police jurisdiction).

Not to mention the Board of Trustees selfishly fired Joe Paterno for some good PR. Without taking into consideration the negative impact that would have on the victims in this case, as demonstrated by the lawyers statement.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Yes, he did the minimum that was required of him. I hope that he will be able to sleep at night knowing that he didn't do the MAXIMUM that he could to prevent a sexual predator from continuing to rape young children. From what I can see he isn't getting all the blame. There is plenty to go around. His problem is that he has always portrayed himself and his program as being above reproach and now he is showing that he is fallible and for over nine years allowed not only a crime to go unpunished but also allowed that same man to use the football facilities unmpeded. Well, that's not 100% true. If he wanted to rape children, he had to do it off campus.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I predict many more charges and some massive civil suits.

Now it is coming out that the head of the charity (resigned today) was also aware of the shower incident* and that he knew Sandusky was banned from local schools due to his behavior.

*He claims he was just told there were concerns, not the full details/extent. That is not going to hold up in court, as IMO the first thing you do if told someone in your organization is behaving inappropriately is ask for more information.

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
Amen

Public ignorance has become the currency of the Sandusky scandal. Not willful ignorance, although surely there have been ample amounts of that, but a more ordinary, everyday, lack-of-basic-information, we-just-don't-have-it-yet type of ignorance. It is terrifyingly obvious that many people are operating off shards of factoids and little else, and drawing broad conclusions based upon those shards, and generally not knowing very much with absolute certainty, because the case so far doesn't allow for that.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/kreidler-111117/echoes-duke-lacrosse-rush-judgment-penn-state-scandal

Another great article

Jane Turner is a former FBI agent and expert on child sex crimes.

While it isn't known what happened in the shower between McQueary and Sandusky, Turner said that given her expertise it would have been "100 percent normal" for McQueary to freeze, panic and shut down after seeing what he said he saw.

"You're trying to comprehend something your brain can't handle," Turner said. "You can't rationalize it. Compute it. Handle it. Most people turn around and walk away. And then they try to figure out, 'Oh my God. What the hell did I just see?' The people who say they would go in there and break it up? They're wrong. Nine times out of 10, that's just not how the human brain works."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7237700/in-penn-state-child-sexual-abuse-scandal-there-no-easy-answers-assistant-mike-mcqueary

Throughout this whole thing whenever I have heard someone talk about how he would have gone into that shower and beat Sandusky up, I've had my doubts. That has to be one of the most traumatic things one can experience, and for someone to judge with any confidence how s/he would react without having actually experienced it is kind of ridiculous. It's like when you think about how you're going to react if the plane your on crashes. That's great that you think you will be calm, cool, and collected and save the lives of 27 women and children, but the truth is, you probably won't.

I'm solely referring to the immediate reaction to witnessing the event in the shower. Not saying anything while the guy is on your campus for 10 years is a whole different story.

Last edited by a moderator:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Never did I say I would be calm, cool, and collected. But I do know how I react to things. In an emergency or crisis I spring into action. It's in my DNA and it's how I was trained.

Some people freeze, I react. My way of dealing with things is to fix them or act swiftly to keep them from getting worse. And you don't hurt kids when I am around, I am a combo of a pitbull and border collie when it comes to kids. This is well documented.

Yelling in shocked surprise or calling the police in an emergency is not exactly on par with saving a plane from crashing. (Though if my plane crashed, there would also be a lot of yelling, cursing, and I would be doing something.)

Last edited:

Red Dawg

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2008
SoWal
I'm with you Scooterbug, I am pretty confident I would have done something to stop this. I have witnessed several bad auto accidents, where cars were on fire, folks trapped and have always reacted quickly to assist. I'm with you think it's in my DNA, no training. I'm all pitbull when it comes to kids and the elderly.

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
I'm with you Scooterbug, I am pretty confident I would have done something to stop this. I have witnessed several bad auto accidents, where cars were on fire, folks trapped and have always reacted quickly to assist. I'm with you think it's in my DNA, no training. I'm all pitbull when it comes to kids and the elderly.

Picture walking into your office and your boss is having anal sex with a ten year old boy. I think that would be much more traumatizing than watching some cars crash. We see real videos of cars crashing on the news and fake ones in movies all the time. We don't typically see our bosses raping ten year old's.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I am with SB on this one; but you make an interesting point. IMO one would have to be intimidated by, or in awe of a boss, in order to be able to walk away from an adult person molesting a child...and it seems that 'way too many people at this school (and perhaps others) are intimidated by the football coach(s).

Maybe this horrible situation will help to eradicate that behavior on college campuses and anywhere it is happening.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I WOULD NOT STAND IDLY BY AND LET SOMEONE MOLEST A CHILD.

That's just my personal reality. You can justify your own lack of action and paint all the scenarios you want, but there is no way in hell I wouldn't do anything.

I don't care who is doing it, what position they hold over me, how it affects a fricking football game, you name it.

I've called the cops, confronted people, and taken unpopular stands for FAR less important reasons than stopping the abuse of a child.

And if the campus police didn't do anything, I would keep harping on it and going above their heads until I found someone who would do something.

There are things that are important enough that you do them regardless of what the consequences might be to you and you life. Stopping people from raping children tops that list.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I WOULD NOT STAND IDLY BY AND LET SOMEONE MOLEST A CHILD.

That's just my personal reality. You can justify your own lack of action and paint all the scenarios you want, but there is no way in hell I wouldn't do anything.

I don't care who is doing it, what position they hold over me, how it affects a fricking football game, you name it.

I've called the cops, confronted people, and taken unpopular stands for FAR less important reasons than stopping the abuse of a child.

And if the campus police didn't do anything, I would keep harping on it and going above their heads until I found someone who would do something.

There are things that are important enough that you do them regardless of what the consequences might be to you and you life. Stopping people from raping children tops that list.

Two words- "Thank you". IMO, Rape is the most horrible crime in the world (even worse then murder), add in the child factor and I pray there is a special place in hell for those individuals.