• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Paterno did NOT do the right thing - either legally or ethically.

If he had, the person in question would be in jail getting a taste of his own medicine and Paterno's legacy would be about football and an honorable retirement - not child molestation and cover-ups.

Why focus on just Joe Pa? Why aren't you attacking the 28/yo GA who SAW the act and didn't do anything to stop it? How about his father who he told THAT night, but didn't call the PD and waited till the next day to contact Joe Pa? How about the janitor who witnessed a similar event in 1998 but didn't report it or call the PD. What about his janitor buddies who he told about the event in 1998 but didn't report it or call the PD.

Legally, Joe Pa did exactly what the state requires of someone in his position. IF his superiors would have done what the state requires of them, they wouldn't be charged and the perp. would have been put away a long time ago.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am not just focused on Paterno, MANY people failed these poor kids and this former grad student/now assistant coach is VERY high on my **** list in all this.

But Paterno was the one in charge and who had the clout to help these kids. Noone in PA was going to go against Paterno if he chose to help these kids and make this guy stop. Instead he did the least possible and even lent his name to the guy's charity knowing it would put him in contact with these kids.

The fact that so many people saw or knew of these incidents and did nothing is the most upsetting part of this whole thing.

And there are a lot of upsetting parts. Including that this guy was a foster parent who lives less than 1,000 feet from a school.

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
Ok, so I agree that all those people should have done more. But if everyone thinks it's so blatantly obvious now that simply reporting the abuse to your superior is not enough, then why has been the law in most states for a long time?

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I always like to hear all the facts before decisiding but on the face of it, it certainly seems like scooterbug is correct. When it comes to kids we should err on the side of caution. It sounds as if there was a conspiracy. A group who chose football over kids, over decency. Ultimately they sound like cowards who chose their way of life, their institution, their MONEy over children. If so then they are all monsters. Screw the technicalities of doing only what the law requires.

Reminds me of a certain religious institutuion that I won't name but whose leaders live in Vatican City.

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
It would have been hard for me not to have beat the **** out of the child molester then and there in the shower and call 911 to bring the young lad to the hospital.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
too bad he (and all of them) didn't take a course in ethics and common decency a long time ago.

I'm with Scooterbug--putting the fear of losing a job or idolizing a football coach, above the life of a child, is disgusting and cowardly. How anyone can read the Grand Jury report and have any sympathy at all for any of these adults, is beyond me.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
It is refreshing to see that the University did the right thing. A head football coach or any other coach has the responsibility of policing his assistants and it is his responsibility to take action if they are involved in any wrong doing. The head coach is responsible for hiring and also for firing and I am glad the university chose the moral way and not just the judicial way.